Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad just brough home a new 10 GIG!!!! IPOD (apples MP3 player)

cool lil thing, he has NO idea how to use it!

Headphones while riding, is that a huge no-no? Both legally and practally.

Any of y'all got the walkman goin in your lid?

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
All right, safetypeeps, get ready to pounce.

As with everything, in moderation it's okay. On long, boring rides I wear headphones connected to an MP3 player in my jacket. But I keep the volume low enough that I can hear what's going on around me.

Is it illegal? In my state (Georgia), yes, it's illegal. Is it safe? It's no worse than wearing earplugs, which is also illegal in my state (unless they're prescription earplugs).

Obviously, if you turn the volume up so loud that you can't hear a car coming up on you, that's dangerous. If you choose to wear earphones, be acutely aware of your surroundings at all times; pretend you're deaf and can't hear anything at all. My boyfriend once got a ticket for riding with headphones while I did not, because I was alert enough to yield to the police car behind me, and he didn't hear (or see) it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
workerant said:
Is it illegal? In my state (Georgia), yes, it's illegal. Is it safe? It's no worse than wearing earplugs, which is also illegal in my state (unless they're prescription earplugs).
I think it is worse. They only mask the wind noise and offer no protection to that damaging sound.

Once heard (not by you): "So I just turn it up louder than the windnoise....."
Oh! Hahahaha

I'd rather get a ticket protecting my hearing than listening to tunes.

My $0.02.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Like huey said,you aren't protecting your hearing(earplugs)and you are taking one of youre sense's away.Earplugs actually you to hear the important things and take away the wind noise.Headphones are a bad idea.Might be to distracting.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I wear headphones & earplugs on nearly ever ride. I can hear the music through the earplugs to about 160km/hr. The volume control is on the headphone cord & easy to access. I have been pulled over twice and once was asked what the wires were for. I replied, bike to bike communicator. No ticket & on more questions.

I can hear my surroundings just fine, no worse than with earplugs alone, unless a wicked songs comes up.

A stupid law if you ask me. Example, buddy in his car blasting his stereo with the windows up. Like he could hear his surroundings.

I like music while I ride..

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
There are some combination earplug/headphone things out there--is that what the chatterbox comes with? Anyways, if you use one of them and keep the volume down low you should be able to hear both the music and any outside distractions.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I always wear earplugs and a couple of times Ive worn headphones on top of my earplugs. I could still hear everything around me fine including the music up to around 65-70mph, at that point all I can hear is wind.

·
Registered
8,677 Posts
I whistle inside my helmet :redflip

·
1,480 Posts
The Crusher said:
I whistle inside my helmet :redflip
I do that on short rides.

I took some cheap headphones, and pulled the speakers and wire out of them. I slide the speakers into the helmet itself. I will put them in on long rides (over an hour or so) and plug them into my MP3 player. I need to start wearing ear plugs (I will end up deaf no matter what from my occupation, but I might as well not rush to get there:rolleyes ).

·
Stress Relief 101
13,581 Posts
I think to would be the same as me driving my car with my 2 12" subs pounding. When I do this I pay more attention to what is going on around me to be safe.

James

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
How am I suppose to hear myself sing with headphones or earplugs in. Duh.:redflip

·
EGYPT
1,987 Posts
good question????

i hope we get some real answers here!! is it good or bad! is it an extra danger???

·
1,480 Posts
Re: good question????

RUFF_RYDA307 said:
i hope we get some real answers here!! is it good or bad! is it an extra danger???
I think it should be obvious, yes, it is bad. it is an added distraction that you have to contend with. The reason I only listen to tunes on long straight rides. If I am going to be dealing with traffic or twisties, I don't want any distractions.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I dont plan on even attempting this anytime soom, my rides are usally short, less than 20 mins, and around city streets. I am a new rider so I actually say to myself. "look, lean, and roll"

I found in my car when I dont have a radio my ADD starts kickin HARD! Every little peice of road debris becomes a distraction that I just have to check out. I guess I use music as a partial diversion so that bored part of my brain has something to do and doenst fuck with the important (small) part.

I was just curious as to what y'all do. I know some people who couldnt sit anywhere, even a bike, without doing soming, talking to someone or listing to something.
Me, I have my supertrapp! Thats plenty loud, not good listening, but loud.

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
If youre easily distracted then Id stay away from adding an MP3 player to your bike. For an experienced rider theres nothing wrong with listening to a little music on your ride. For me all it is is background music, sometimes I sing along:D but Ive never been distracted. At some point you stop listening for cars and start to feel them coming up on you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts