Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I am so new to this but I try to "be cool"and try to witness to my 2 best buddies whom I ride with.One of my friends is nicknamed "Evil Joe"both are cops and both for some reason:D have a negative outlook on life and society.Its a hard job but I am slowly trying to turn them from the dark side.Now I know its not my job to bring them to the Lord as he does that himself I just hope it doesn't take as much pain and suffering as it did me.

Lord help me out....

Bill C

·
The Bible Thumper
1,797 Posts
My dad was a police officer for 30+ years, and he was forced to retire due to stress levels that were going to kill him. Every cop I know has a negative outlook on life, you could say, because they see such evil souls. They see what sin can do to people. They see death every day and night, and in some cases, they have to take lives. I think this would give just about anyone a "negative outlook" on life.

As for witnessing to them, the main thing a police officer must realize, is that they too are evil. Without acknowledging this, they will never repent, nor be able to. My dad had this problem for years before Christ saved His soul. He believed that he was good because he was a police officer. He enforced the law of God and destroyed those who do evil. He thought this saved him.

Just explain to them the gospel, and in doing so, explain to them that NONE are good, not even them. Until they come to this realization, no fruit will come.

In Him.
Matt

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No,no,no I do not preach because I do not know enough to preach.I definitely need more bible time.I believe that you shouldn`t try to make yourself look like a jerk its easy enough for it to happen automatically:D .I can understand the cop way of thinking I was a cop in the military(USAF res) and that was just a part time gig but most of the guys in the unit were full timers in the civi world and the story's I would hear.

Bill

·
Registered
574 Posts
Just be who you are. You can witness without even saying a word (although words can be a +). Live your life to your best ability as a Christian, and just be yourself. They will see how you are living your life and just seeing how you live might get them thinking. Sometimes we aren't the ones that lead to the Lord but we can be the ones who plant that seed for someone else to grow. I would continue talking of the Gospel to them, if they haven't told you to stop or told you to stick it somewhere, then they are taking in what you say. they might just come to you sometime and ask you questions about God/Jesus/ the Bible/etc. But continue to pray for your friends all throughout. If their minds and hearts are hardened to the Lord then prayer is all you can do.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Baby Gorilla said:
I think you get more of a reaction out of the bowl of Jello.

At least if all else fails, you can use Jello for dessert. :laughing
Hey BG,

I'll bet that was an interesting conversation.:lol
Witness to Jello often?.......Maybe a different flavor would change that......j/k BG:D

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Hey Bill,
Most cops I know not only have a negative outlook on life but most are control freaks as well. Meaning, they have to have control of everthing, including their own lives.

My college friend, Sherry Lyons was shot down as a police officer a couple years ago in Atlanta. I learned that she had been saved before becoming a cop. Now I have peace and rejoice that I will see her again one day.

As for your dad, family is always tough. But as several have said here, and you seem to know - We are only here to plant the seed. If God calls your dad to Him, your dad will feel the tug on his own heart and God will most likely use someone like YOU to keep that seed from God firmly planted as well.

You might want to read the sticky thread "how we became Christians". There are some great testimonies in there.

1Timothy 2:1-4 talks about praying for others for their salvation.

Other bible scriptures speak about you interceding for your loved ones and prayer for them to be delivered into God's Kingdom.

I learned a long time ago that its our job to plant seeds, not to save everyone. I have a couple family members that are never going to see Heaven. I've had to come to terms with it and not blame myself. They know the truth and have chosen to ignore it.
:2pray

·
Moderator,
7,795 Posts
Camperguy said:
...Now I know its not my job
to bring them to the Lord
as he does that himself
I just hope it doesn't take
as much pain and suffering
as it did me.

Lord help me out....

Bill C
Light Under a Basket

Also He said to them,
"Is a lamp brought to be put
under a basket or under a bed?
Is it not to be set on a lampstand?

For there is nothing hidden
which will not be revealed,
nor has anything been kept secret
but that it should come to light.

If anyone has
ears to hear,
let him hear."

Then He said to them,
"Take heed what you hear.
With the same measure you use,
it will be measured to you;
and to you who hear,
more will be given.

For whoever has,
to him more will be given;
but whoever does not have,
even what he has
will be taken away from him."

- Mark 4:21-25

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
If you were my friend, I would tolerate you mentioning it once or twice. But if you brought it up every time, I would feel very uncomfortable and start to avoid you. But - I would expect 2 things from you: 1. If I ever did need guidance, I would expect you not to turn me away, and 2. I would hold you to a higher standard than the other people I know who do not proclaim to 'follow him'.

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
ManaBurrn said:
If you were my friend, I would tolerate you mentioning it once or twice. But if you brought it up every time, I would feel very uncomfortable and start to avoid you....
Irony.

Local group of CFers I rode with, most all they ever talked about was worldly things and sex. Why is it the world rarely considers how it affects someone like us? :( :confused

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Were you forced to be with these "CFers"? :confused

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
ManaBurrn said:
Were you forced to be with these "CFers"? :confused
No. I wasn't "forced" to be with them.

However, it was an uncomfortable situation once they started being "themselves." I knew I couldn't me myself without stifling thier "fun."

I either had to fit in with them or stick out like a sore thumb.

In the work world, the same situation often exists though. People expect Christians to be considerate of how others will feel if they "express" themselves, but they don't think of how their actions make us feel. :(

I mean, do you need to talk of sex, gossip, cuss to enjoy yourself. Some things that go on just really should be saved for a select audience, not done where anyone might hear and be offended.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Baby Gorilla said:
However, it was an uncomfortable situation once they started being "themselves." I knew I couldn't me myself without stifling thier "fun."

Been there BG, know how you feel.....

I either had to fit in with them or stick out like a sore thumb.
I don't mind sticking out like a sore thumb, been there too. I don't hide my beliefs, as I have Christian patches on my vest and a Jesus fish on my bike. I've been commended for it too a few times. When I had my old colors on once, I was even pulled over by members of the local Hell's Angels chapter. I was the only Patched member of my old club here in the state. It happened to be the prez of the Local chapter that pulled me over to talk to me about my colors. He was actually nice about it, and told me that if anyone ever gave me a hard time about it to tell them that I talked to him and he said it was ok. That actually worked, as I was approached by another person, different club about my old colors too. I even had people hear about me, because of those situations as word got around. So be who you are and don't hide being a Christian.:thumb

In the work world, the same situation often exists though. People expect Christians to be considerate of how others will feel if they "express" themselves, but they don't think of how their actions make us feel. :(

I mean, do you need to talk of sex, gossip, cuss to enjoy yourself. Some things that go on just really should be saved for a select audience, not done where anyone might hear and be offended.
Unfortunately that is today's society.:( It's so "the norm" to talk about sex, lies, gossip, swearing,etc....but it's like taboo to talk of religion. But we as Christians know that we will be looked down upon and persecuted for our beliefs....so we should be ourselves. There will be other people to ride with if they don't want to ride with you any more. Ride for Him, I do:D Here's a shot of my passenger backrest of my bike.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Im around the "normal" :D folks a lot and it doesnt bother me. Although, I claim my spot for the Lord pretty early on in any conversation given the chance.

Usually after that, these types are carrying on and then stop to appologize to ME! :laughing

I tell them, "hey, no need to appologize to me" "I don't judge you or your actions, you choose to act that way". And, their eyes get all big... :nanana

Then, some choose to ignore me, (OK by me) and others have often come around later to "chat church" with me.

Put me among the heathens anytime! :thumb As entertainment goes, its better than paying for cable! :crackup

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.