Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Watch Out Kid!! I'm in 1st
495 Posts
Just posted the same video in the Grandstand forum it's crazy.

Here is the link to where Dawn, who was on the motorcycyle, posted the video and let her friends know about her accident. From her description the driver of the Civic said "She hit me" good think she had the video running so there is no doubt....You sir driving the civic are an ASS

·
^RULES^
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ive always thought about jumping to the seat or the tank when theres an unavoidable accident.
If you have the nerve to jump to the seat or the tank you can clear 6 feet- most cars, such as in this incident.

if you think about it, if you count the time between the time it took to realize it's an unavoidable accident, and the actual accident, this one is a good 3 seconds.

It would be rediculous to teach this manuver in an MSF class, because evasion is the way to go, but a seasoned rider that can maintain their cool, might use it at the right time and do some damage control.

Throw the bike on a centerstand and see how comfortable it is to stand up and hot to the seat.

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Unavoidable? More like target fixation. There were at least two outs in the video.

Glad to see she made it out alright and has the vid to hold the jackasses feet to the fire.

·
Watch Out Kid!! I'm in 1st
495 Posts
Looks like she could have gone to the left where the civic was, but think that's against your natural instincts. Also I'm not even sure it was safe as a car could be coming behind the civic.

·
^RULES^
855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Stillie said:
Unavoidable? More like target fixation. There were at least two outs in the video.
yea I agree, if your alert, that one is avoidable, but pretend you just looked back to check your blind spot and it snuck up on you... and sometimes it is unavoidable, like if your choice is between oncoming traffic or broadsiding someone

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I certainly think the shit for brains in the Civic needs an ass-whuppin, but that chick didn't appear to even make an attempt to slow that bike down. Go back and watch it, she appears to be rolling at a relatively consistent speed towards a cage sliding slideways.

Combo of target fixation and lack of skills is my guess. I bet she's been riding sub 2 years, and likely don't have a ton of miles under her belt.

Still sucks....
Barry

·
Vespa Rider
1,199 Posts
I used to run a helmet cam. They don't give you a true perspective.

The civic is much closer to her when he looses it than the video would allow you to believe.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
All it takes is to have your brakes slightly out of adjustment for that to occur. I think the guy in the civic just locked them up. The adjustment issue was what caused him to swap ends like that. Sucks for the biker but you have to have outs planned for THAT exact reason. Then again, as Jay said...it might be an armchair call. The perspective is distorted.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Yeah, dudes right rear was smoking and left wasn't... He swapped ends, and THEN it appeared he gave right steering input, exactly the wrong thing to do. But, his right front was smoking then too, and I don't believe he had steering control.

Bad scene. I still bet money the biker was inexperienced, but you are correct, it could be the cam. I'll be running one this spring, so we'll see what it shows.

And how cool for the rescuer chick's cleaveage to be world famous???

Barry

·
Registered
422 Posts
Barry said:
Combo of target fixation and lack of skills is my guess. I bet she's been riding sub 2 years, and likely don't have a ton of miles under her belt.
Actually, she has "5 years - well over 200,000 miles logged on bikes". Second page of the socalsportbikes.info thread. How much we betting for? Pay up. :D

It seems pretty clear to me in the vid that she tried for an out. She just picked the wrong one and got pinned in. With the speed difference between her and the car to her right, swerving farther that way seems iffy. And, while swerving left would have probably gotten her out of it, initial instincts say don't do it.

I'm guessing that the asshat was messing with the e-brake to drag a little ass and lost grip on the button to keep it from ratcheting. Then he probably panicked.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
5 years = 200K + miles??? Damn Kalifornians.

Barry

·
Registered
422 Posts
:laughing Yeah, my Aunt and Uncle live out in Sacramento and I was giving them shit about their 70F sunny weather just the other day. Below, you can see their garage. They are the only two in the house that own bikes. :laughing

·
Registered
6,499 Posts
Just looking at the vid, I'd say the jackass locked it up because he was approaching stopped traffic. Probably has a bias problem with his "high performance" brakes. :laughing

·
Hoof Hearted
2,820 Posts
ladyracer said:
What ever happened to the Civic driver? Did they ever say why her car went crazy?
It happened less than 3 days ago. It'll take them some time to get it sorted, court, etc. :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
OK, here's my 2 cents--granted, I have little miles compared to a lot of you . . .

I notice traffic really slowing down in the right lanes. To me, if it's slowing in the right lanes, then there's something going on ahead, and people will be moving over to the left lanes to keep moving. Personally, I would have slowed my pace, as I saw congestion around her, and create more option space in front of me. I thought she was keeping the same pace even though traffic congestion was increasing.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
Barry and I are dirty old men. My first thought was "Nice Rack!! Come rescue me."

I did not see much of an out with regards to steering. She was in the right motorcycle lane of her travel lane. For her to have gone to the left of the Civic, she would have needed to committ to that action at the first sign of lockup. That would have been foolish since at the time, it was still occupying that lane. No way to predict it woul dhave come over the way it did. That was an aberration. The out to the right disappeared as the car came over almost striking the vehicle to her right.

If you look at her perspective from the helmet cam, ie. the amount of head movement forward under brakeing, and look at the change in speed differential between the car on her right she was passing, it does not appear that she was on the brakes very hard. I think her best out would have been to brake hard and move in behind the car to her right. Even without steering and fixating on the Civic, I think she could have stopped or scrubbed much more speed before striking the Civic.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts