Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pair of JoeRocket Speedmaster gloves, which are the same as the Speedway gloves except for the knuckle guards. I do not recommend these.

1. They are a pain to get on. 3 straps of velcro to do and undo. The wrist velcro are not elastic, so you cannot leave them at one setting. The two large velcro pads at the gauntlet past the wrist, are overlaps for security, which is understandable, though.

2. The material used is not of great quality, unlike their jackets. The leathers are soft and thin, good for flexibility but bunches up easily. Also, in the tips of the fingers, the leather is starting to wear through from the inside. Now, mind you, I only got these in July with about 5,000 miles on them, so they should NOT have holes in them already!

Crash review: I lowsided at about 25mph on cold tires, these gloves were on. Minimal scuff damage on the leather portions, but the knuckle guards over my right pinky were torn off.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Gladiator said:
ok then which would you recommend Mr InTheBox? :rolleyes:
why are you rolling your eyes? do you have these gloves and are you annoyed that he didn't like them or something?

Just curious.

·
has left the building.
12,260 Posts
zeropt99 said:
why are you rolling your eyes? do you have these gloves and are you annoyed that he didn't like them or something?

Just curious.
I don't mean anything by it, JackInTheBox is a friend of mine from Garden State Sportbike Club (GSSC).

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Oh okay :p

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
I would agree, junk period...

I tore mine pulling them on my hand (they were basically brand new)...the gauntlet ripped right up the seam...they were comfortable enough I suppose, but the quality left *alot* to be desired...

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gladiator said:
which would you recommend Mr InTheBox?
My recommendation would be a pair of Teknic Violator gloves. I also have a pair of those from prior to purchasing the JoeRockets. I left them out in the garage after a ride in the pouring rain. The kangaroo skin palms didn't quite like that idea...well, it didn't mind, but mold decided to grow every which way across the inside and out of the kangaroo skin portions.

Other than that, I had that pair since last year, about 25,000 miles on them, and barely any wear and tear in them. Safe to say, I just order two more pairs. If you want, go to www.newenough.com and order a FEW pairs. The 2002 Pro models are on clearance at $69/pair. which is much less than the retail store's $180/pair.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Thanks man. I just ordered 2 pairs. Oh btw I own a pair of JR speedmasters and after 6000 miles, or just this riding season they are falling apart. The leather on the palm is rotting and so are the tips of some of the fingers. They have not been abused, or crashed in.

·
Fine wine expert
3,306 Posts
JackInTheBox said:
My recommendation would be a pair of Teknic Violator gloves.
I just got a pair from New Enough as well, but they will be going back. The seam at the inside of the wrists really irritates me, it pricks and pokes my skin. I tried them on, moved my hands around for a few minutes, took them off and had a big red spot on my wrist where they rubbed. I saw someone else on here post a similar problem. I don't mean to say these aren't nice gloves, but they just didn't fit me right.

I'm not a fan of JR gear either so my search for gloves continues.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tyler Durden said:
I just got a pair from New Enough as well, but they will be going back. The seam at the inside of the wrists really irritates me, it pricks and pokes my skin.
I have found that lot of gloves do that, 'tis the nature of kevlar stitching. It's sometimes sticking out and, unlike normal cotton thread, will not wear away easily, instead continually poke at you. Find the source and clip it away or use something rough, i.e. - nail file, to mend it down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have to disagree with you guys on this one. I have several pairs of JR speedmaster gloves from different years. Some are two years old with over 10,000 miles on them and a few track days and races and a crash..or two...okay so I went down a few times!!! Happy now? Humm...excuse me..back to the topic at hand. I also have a set of Teknic violator gloves which I use for cold weather riding since they have no venting. I will not buy another piece of Teknic apparel. They are a major pain in the ass to get on and wrap up tight. They are uncomfortable and lack something I feel is imperitive to riding hard...feel at the finger tips. It's good to feel the front as soon as it starts to slide , not after it's already let go...trust me on this one. My JR's have been through crashes and are still holding up fine, save for a few threads hanging off that I simply clipped. Ventilatoin is superior to any other glove I 've tried so far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
JR gloves

I have to both agree and disagree with what has been said here. I have a pair of the SR gloves. Use them for summer and for the odd track day. They are the most comfortable gloves I have ever had. That said I cannot recommend them. What has been said of the workmanship is all true. The leather on the tops of the fingers is really thin. It tears with not much effort. They are well vented so that is a major plus. This is especially true at the track where I tend to work up quite a sweat.
Actually the gloves I really wanted were just too pricey for me. The Kushitani Hyper Racing Glove. But at $250, just too rich for me. I will probably eat those words because a friend who bought a pair at Laguna Seca in July 2001 wears his all the time and they show little if any wear. While my JR's are looking limp. So, maybe the Kushis are a better value?!
Just my 2¢ worth.

John In Calif

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought the JR Speedmaster gloves last spring and I am very happy with them. I've put on 10k this year and they show no sign of wear, good ventilation and one of the most comfortable I've ever worn. When I had bought them I read a thread on SBN saying bad things, but I've had no problems and would buy them again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts