1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Eagle eyes
2,581 Posts
Looks like fun! :thumb

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I didn't know the AF went to the field (kidding.)

·
Falling asleep to the sound of gunfire, nightly.
6,609 Posts
They have some pretty high speed gigs in the AF...TAC-P and CCT :thumb

If you don't have them already, get some Danners Sarge. :D Nice pic, good looking dog.

·
Track whore
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stupify said:
They have some pretty high speed gigs in the AF...TAC-P and CCT :thumb

If you don't have them already, get some Danners Sarge. :D Nice pic, good looking dog.
Thank you sir! I have always worked better with the Marines.

The only Army unit I have worked with and liked as a whole was the 2nd Ranger Battalion, and they did not talk to me for the 1st 2 days of the mission (because I was Air Force I assume).

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Had a couple AF guys in my airborne class. Good guys, funny as fuck. THey were attached to the 172nd and were moving on the airborne unit up in alaska (jeez, extra pay for being stationed with the army and then extra jump status pay, those guys were racken it in).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm guessing that you aren't Ranger qualified which could have been the problem.
It most likely wasn't because you aren't Army but because you aren't tabbed, so if you heard the acronim "NTB" that is most likely the problem!! Bat. boys are known to be like that to anybody new!

·
Track whore
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
STEFAN73 said:
I'm guessing that you aren't Ranger qualified which could have been the problem.
It most likely wasn't because you aren't Army but because you aren't tabbed, so if you heard the acronim "NTB" that is most likely the problem!! Bat. boys are known to be like that to anybody new!
I don't think it was because I had not been to Ranger school. Over half the 2nd ranger batalion had not been. Once they go to Ranger they automaticly put on E-5. Most if not all the E1-E4's had not attended and were not tabbed. They do not talk to thier NCOs much at all. That batalion is known for its haising of its Privates. I think it was just the same with me. Most of the NCOs talked work issues with me from the start.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Whoo... can't say I envy you being in the field at this time of year! I'm glad I'm in Virginia for the worst of the German winter! :laughing

Don't take it personal with the Army folk not treating you seriously... I'll be the first to admit I got a little raw seeing AF people cycle through my base in Iraq for 3-6 months at a time, while I was stuck there for a whole year. NOT saying that there aren't Airmen who DO get deployed for a year or more, but damned if those pussies who whined about a 90 day deployment didn't chap my arse... :laughing

I'm over it now. Mostly. ;)

·
Track whore
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
archren said:
Whoo... can't say I envy you being in the field at this time of year! I'm glad I'm in Virginia for the worst of the German winter! :laughing

Don't take it personal with the Army folk not treating you seriously... I'll be the first to admit I got a little raw seeing AF people cycle through my base in Iraq for 3-6 months at a time, while I was stuck there for a whole year. NOT saying that there aren't Airmen who DO get deployed for a year or more, but damned if those pussies who whined about a 90 day deployment didn't chap my arse... :laughing

I'm over it now. Mostly. ;)
I hear you and do not blame you for getting pissed about that at all. AF perrsonel that whine about being deployed deserve to be punch in the face! If they are doing 90 days or less there MOS consist of handing out basket balls at the gym or somthing like that. All my deployments have been 6-9 months. But thats just the way the AF does it. The Army is getting abused year in few months out and back for a year. Thats tough on anyone!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Duane said:
I hear you and do not blame you for getting pissed about that at all. AF perrsonel that whine about being deployed deserve to be punch in the face!
I think the one experience I had that really stuck out in my mind was an AF Major my husband and I overheard here at Langley when we were working at the Personal Property office back in August. The Major ran into a civilian friend of his, and was lamenting the fact that he had to "sleep in a tent" for 30 days in Korea. I mean, he was actually REALLY upset about the whole ordeal, and just went on and on about it. :shake

Luckily, I know enough AF people that are actually serious about what they do so that events like that haven't totally tarnished my impression of the Air Force. But admit it, you guys are (in general) pretty pampered. :redflip

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
damn, most of the time I am lucky enough to get a shelter half up, usually I jsut crawl in my sleeping bag, rifle and all with my waterproof camo cover over me... screw the trouble of a shelter half although it its snowing/raining and I am not wiped (or I don't have a choice) I will put one up. I actually sleep better in the field then I do back at the base, always liked sleeping outside (georgia still sucks what with all the mosquito's however).

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Just thought I would add some cool stuff..:D

Attachments

·
Registered
379 Posts
I just had to throw out another air force view. I am deployed in UAE and I am living in a tent. I am fine with that. I also lived in a tent and ate MRE's in New Orleans when we deployed with the 41st Brigade (OR army guard). I am in a combat communications unit and we play with the Army all the time.

I would prefer to deploy with a radar unit back home that stays in hotels, but I will go wherever.

One reason the AF deploys for shorter times is that we for the most part do not deploy as a unit. In my shop right now we have 4 people from 4 guard units in 3 states and 4 active duty from one base and 1 one from another. Only 2 of them work together at their base back home. So they bring us in, we have a couple days turn over, and we work together as a team.

I do not work in services, I am in communications, without us there is no comm, no phones no internet nothing.

Some of the army top leadership is supposedly looking at how the air force does this, so that we don't have to have such long deployments. There are career fields in the air force that are minimum 6 month deployments the cops and transportation, but most are 120 days.
There are some people who can't handle even that and they need to get over it. There are quite a few people who have made it almost through a career with no deployments who are going for the first time.

Yes we are spoiled, but we also made the choice to join the air force. We are used to the standard of living that the air force provides.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts