Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, I had NO idea bikes were as powerful as they are.

My roomate just gave me my first lesson on a bike. Holy crap. I was expecting it to be powerful if you really laid into it, but not so powerful down low. That thing felt very twitchy, and scary fast.

He's got a CBR600 F3, piped and jetted. Hardly a beginner bike.

I went slow and easy, and just practiced taking off, slowing down, and turning back and forth.

I had no idea the throttle was so sensitive.

I was VERY impressed...now I think I'm more addicted to wanting one than ever. It was great!

·
Registered
454 Posts
That is why we tell new riders to start out on a smaller bike. Get a 250 or something similar and the rush will still be there. There is nothing like your first ride.:redflip

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sounds like me...I rode my friend's piped and jetted FZR600 before I started really riding...oh man...that feeling of 25 being only a 32nd of throttle away in 1st was very eye opening. I've since had my 250 for 3 months, and 6000 miles later I'm as giddy as a schoolkid. Since then I re-rode his bike and really got to whomp on it (because I had experience on the 250) and MAN I could really appreciate the power a 600 has. not to mention being more capable to handle it.

mmm....man riding rocks! take MSF and get a 250!

·
Wrecker of Threads
311 Posts
My first bike was a 600F3 - self control will get you through, but I wish I had had a 250, I'd probably be a better rider if I started small.

·
Registered
361 Posts
my first street bike was a VFR750, lasted 2 weeks before I was bored with it. got a zx7r after that. taught myself how to ride a street bike and was racing in a year.I started riding at age 3 on an Indian 50 with training wheels and had ridden all the time growing up on dirt bikes,3 wheelers, honda odysee and 4 wheelers-raced a few of them.my first street bike I ever rode on the hwy was my dads fj1100, stole it when I was about 12, man that thing was fast.I was a very bad kid. :redcreep

·
Registered
111 Posts
^^^^^

See kiddies, this is what not to do when you're learning bikes....well, all except the pre-FJ1100 stuff. man that's a terrible starter bike.

·
1,480 Posts
Take the MSF course!

I went from a 10 HP dirt bike ('77 Kawi KM 100) to my Buell.

Yeah, that was a shock. 80 ft lbs of torque catches you off guard.

·
currently enjoying Mansun
3,148 Posts
PearlBlueSoul said:
man that's a terrible starter bike.
You got that right. It's not just the power... it's the WEIGHT. I owned an '84 for years (it was my sixth bike).

·
Registered
188 Posts
When you got off the bike did your hands shake and did you feel jittery all over?:creep :eek That is the best feeling in the world huh?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rrguy said:
When you got off the bike did your hands shake and did you feel jittery all over?:creep :eek That is the best feeling in the world huh?
my god, my hands were still trembling an hour later, and I had this huge grin I couldn't get off my face.

I think feeling how powerful that thing was really put me in my place and made me feel much more okay with starting on a smaller bike. I know my limits, and I am comfortable with not pushing them just for the sake of looking cool. I'll get a 600 eventually, but not until I've had at least a year of experience on something smaller and taken the MSF course and logged some serious street miles.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Yeah, I remeber my 1st time on my CBR 600F. That 1st turn at any speed and you realize that it's nothing like your 10-speed. And 1st time you give it some gas and you wonder how you managed to stay with the bike vs being spit backwards off it. The feeling of your heart dropping when 7k hits. Crazy stuff. Was the same feeling when I went from that 90 600F to a 00 929rr. White knuckled the whole ride home, worried that I just bit off more than I could chew. To this day the 929 still has the power to spook me if I get on it. Awsome bike, hopefully the last one I but for awhile. Neat to have a machine that can leave you in awe like that. One that you always look back at when you get off it, smiling. Hard to belive there are bikes that are quicker than the 929's.....hard to fathom.

·
Tequila Baron
2,879 Posts
Well welcome to the drug that is bikes my friend, the first ride is free now your gonna have to pay for your rush :D ENjoy yourself man and take it slow and easy. You'll have a great time and a wonderful hobby

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
look at my sig

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Xtant said:
Well welcome to the drug that is bikes my friend, the first ride is free now your gonna have to pay for your rush :D
I know, I'm suddenly finding myself scrambling to find a job and start squirreling away money to buy my first bike.

I've been a full time student the past couple years with my parents helping me out when I needed it. School is important and all, but I've gotta get back into the swing of things with the work world... this whole bike thing is pulling me in hardcore.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
zeropt99 said:
I know, I'm suddenly finding myself scrambling to find a job and start squirreling away money to buy my first bike.

I've been a full time student the past couple years with my parents helping me out when I needed it. School is important and all, but I've gotta get back into the swing of things with the work world... this whole bike thing is pulling me in hardcore.
You make your own decisions, but I wouldn't put your education on hold to get a bike. Geta part time job and pick up a used 250...that'll be enough to teach you the basics and beyond. I've had mine for 5 seasons and I'm still having fun on it until I have the money to move up. Definitely start small and build up.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lightner22 said:
You make your own decisions, but I wouldn't put your education on hold to get a bike. Geta part time job and pick up a used 250...that'll be enough to teach you the basics and beyond. I've had mine for 5 seasons and I'm still having fun on it until I have the money to move up. Definitely start small and build up.
LOL nah dude I'm not putting my education on hold. Education is first and foremost, I'm just gonna work part time and go to school at the same time, like lots of people do.

·
Registered
111 Posts
you are wise, young one. :twofinger: 250, start small...once you masater it (i.e. keep up with higher bikes) I'd suggest making your decision to upgrade then. If you want more power that bad, move up. otherwise master the 250 and have fun watching newbie 600 people scratch their heads. ;)

·
Registered
866 Posts
zeropt99 said:
Okay guys, I had NO idea bikes were as powerful as they are.

My roomate just gave me my first lesson on a bike. Holy crap. I was expecting it to be powerful if you really laid into it, but not so powerful down low. That thing felt very twitchy, and scary fast.

He's got a CBR600 F3, piped and jetted. Hardly a beginner bike.

I went slow and easy, and just practiced taking off, slowing down, and turning back and forth.

I had no idea the throttle was so sensitive.

I was VERY impressed...now I think I'm more addicted to wanting one than ever. It was great!
:laughing :laughing

Sorry dude........ But I think that is just funny... A cbr600 f3 is a weak little puppy..... If you are going to get a bike, do like I am sure you have been told already, get a little nija 250...

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Re: Re: Just rode a bike for the first time e ver! Whew!

Techy said:

Sorry dude........ But I think that is just funny... A cbr600 f3 is a weak little puppy..... If you are going to get a bike, do like I am sure you have been told already, get a little nija 250...
I can certainly understand how someone who rides a 900 would think a 600 was not as fast, but a weak little puppy? Ok, if you say so...

You try jumping on an F3 when you've never done anything in your entire life aside from take a slow ride on a big heavy cruiser your stepdad owned. I've spent my life in cars, and compared to a car, an F3 is pretty damn impressive.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Re: Re: Just rode a bike for the first time e ver! Whew!

Techy said:

I take offense to that! :redflip :mad :D

1 - 20 of 49 Posts