Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mai die tote Fahrt am schnellsten.
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just so you all know I'm not just bein an asshole here...here's a post of myne from the KCSBFORUMS.COM website:

They are talking about taking a ride to a new "Biker Bar" off of Metcalf...read about the bar HERE .

Here is what I posted, about 5 pages in at THIS forum thread:

GRASHOPR
Posted: Wed 15 Dec 2004, 21:27

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont post much on these boards, mainly just lurk..but this topic has me pretty peeved.

{soapbox}

The gumption that a bar owner must have to call itself a 'biker bar' is aposterous to me. The owner doesnt make the bar a biker bar, the bikers make the bar a biker bar.

You want to know what the closest you're going to get to being in a 'real' biker bar in this area? The Kickstart Saloon in North Topeka, Ks. Recognized by ABATE and editors of Easy Rider, Iron Horse and Backstreet Chopper magazine as one of the top true "Biker Bars" in North America. It isn't sitting in a upper-middle-class-area of one of the highest income-per-capita counties in the state. It's alongside a two-lane highway that you would need written directions to find. Inside there aren't plasma screens, wheel-cutout metal bars, or waitresses that all wear 'uniforms' that look alike.
If you've never been inside the Kickstart (which, ALL bikes are welcome....), you'll be surprised to see that the building is a renovated, small 2-story house that was built in (maybe....) the 1930's. Hung from the ceiling are the sacrifices of any woman who has ever gone in, bras'.....TONS of bras...so many that the mass is so thick if you WANTED to find your bra to get it back, you would have to spend quite a while finding it.
The bar is a modest peice of mohogany that has been dented and chipped with the rings, knives, change and skulls of the patrons that have gone to the Kickstart over the last few decades. They have a 'ride through' once a year where anyone can leave their mark on the floor by doing a burnout as they run in the front door and out to the patio.
From the bars floor, there is a large peice of plexiglass that keeps those who get too enebriated on the longnecks of WHATEVER THEY WANT TO DRINK (no extra charge if you want a Dos Equis instead of a Miller Highlife) from messing with the "diamond in the rough" of the Kickstart. It's a hand-built, full-size motorcycle built entirely out of cow bones that were gathered from nearby farmers fields. The rims were made by bending ribs and glueing them together, the headlight bucket is a carved out turtle shell, the engine cases are cows skulls...the backbone is a.....backbone.
The bar is known worldwide and the patrons dont give a shit if you're on a 'Davidson or a Ducati..as long as you ride. Dont go in there trying to act it if you're not....they KNOW bikers when they see them.

This "Fuel" American-Made bar crap is a pile of bullshit. If they are trying to keep a certain type of rider from being able to feel comfortable in their establishment, then they dont know shit about what riding motorcycles is all about. Riding isn't about staying within your 'genre' of motorcycle type. It's about being out with friends, doing something that YOU like to do. Who gives a SHIT what your friends like to do? If THEY want to drag their knees or if they want to drag sidepipes..I dont see what it should matter to YOU. Just because you've got enough money from your "posh" bar to build a bar that caters to the current 'trend' just so you can make MORE money...doesnt mean that you should have the ability to redefine what it is to ride.

If the sportbike community in KC adopts an establishment that is based on shortsighted arrogance, then that community doesnt deserve the hard-earned respect that they have earned with the smaller sportbike communities in the midwest. Going someplace because it's 'posh' with the friends that are 'accepted' there is a major problem down the road when you develop friends that aren't 'accepted'. In the same breath...if a Sportbike-only bar opened up, I would SEVERELY bash that bar also.

I understand that the bar isn't attempting to segregate sportbikes as a whole. But in the short 'blurb' about the bar, the bartender made the statement that if you weren't drinking American Beer, you were going to be charged an 'import tax' for anything else. How much is the 'import tax' for wearing in a Triumph-brand motorcycle jacket, or a Repsol Honda T-shirt? Segregation should not be accepted or condoned in any form amongst the motorcycing community, and we have to police ourselves.

Point is, the owner is making an attempt to profit off of the current 'American Made Chopper' craze and trying to draw in the owners of 70-80-90k bikes to a new flashy Biker/Sports/Hooters bar. Nothing in what has been portrayed about this bar so far does anything but alienate the readers of this forum...so to me, the fact that you are attempting to setup a 'ride' to this bar looks pretty off-the-wall.

{/soapbox}
I'll go back to the lurkers lounge now.
Phil

·
Registered
604 Posts
ive never been to the kickstart. ive never even heard of the place...anybody wanna go this weekend?

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hey. hmmmm, should I jump in and contrdict myself, or stay out of this? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Ok, im in!!!

HEY PHIL, and everyone else out there. I personally know the owners of Kickstart. In fact we all tend to show up at the same family reunions. strange......

Any way. A long long long time ago, in a land far far far away known as "MY HOUSE" there was two guys who had similar birthdates. Well every year for like 3 or 4 years they got together and had a big blow out kegger, at 'MY HOUSE'. All that ever showed up was sport bikes. Mainly cause thats all that was invited. Then one day these two guys palnned the last party they would ever have together. Several kegs were purchased and sat waiting for the enibriated ones. "MY HOUSE" was cleaned out of all furniture except plastic chairs, tv, kick ass stereo, and all the CD's we could put in one pile. As the day progressed, the one guy (older one) was off work and began emptying grocery stores of all the ice he could by. Coolers will filled, food was bought, KEGS WERE DELIVERED!! The other guy called the one guy and said "HEY ABOUT ADDING SOME MORE PEOPLE TO OUR YEARLY PARTY?" The other guy said sure, more the merrier. The day turned into evening and the two dudes joined together at "MY HOUSE" and tapped the first keg to be the first to bein the ciphon ritual. Then the one dude asjed the other dude who the extra people were that he invited. ANSWER? "oh just everyone from Kickstart today when we ate lunch there". Other dude said well, this will be interesting.

Well, the night came and as anyone can attest "MY HOUSE" has parking in front, behind, beside, etc the size of the expo centre, which began to fill with sport bikes. then... a rumble.. and more rumbles, and next thing you know there are Harleys also filling the spaces. 50/50 mix at best. I told the guy that shows up at family reunions to please help keep an eye on everyone from his group and I and the other guy and would control ours.

Well, 1 hour and 42 minutes flat. TWO KEGS WERE EMPTY! PArty was definitly happening. Me and the kick start guy took up a collection and then took someones pickup truck. hmm, still havent figured out whos truck that is. Anyone want to buy a slightly not ours pickup truck with out a title? any way we took the truck and went to Dillons to shop. We bought ALL the cold beer they had. 5 shopping carts. And then lots off ice. And.... the party continued until the wee hours. Even after the beer ran out, the liquor bottles emptied, cigs were smoked, lights came on. the group still mingled amongst the bikes. keys were exchanged, bikes were rode. Sport riders rode harleys, harley riders rode sport bikes. And all had a blast. In fact it was the first time I ever rode a Harley. The owner said he wanted me to ride it to where he was staying cause he was drunker than i was and thought he would crash it on the way there. I didnt do much better.

In the morning, most of the trash was picked up, messes cleaned up. FOund out later that the kickstart crew enjoyed our event so much they cleaned up the mess while most everyone was out messing with all the bikes. In fact they had such a great time, And open invitation for all the Sport Bike riders in attendance to come to the Kickstart anytime they wanted, to return the goodtimes given to a bunch of "outsiders" at our little event.

Does anyone on this sight remeber that night? I am sure there are a couple people still around that were there. It was fun. For everyone.

I guess what I am saying is that I agree with you Phil, we are all riders. Harley, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kowasaki, Triumph, Ducati (your welcome Caribou), Buell, Bimota, Aprillia, West Coast Chopper, Orange County Chopper, full leathers, shorts and no shirt, helmeted, or just sun glasses. whatever you ride. However you ride it, we are all still the same..... BIKERS.

I know I talk crap on potatoe bikes, I mean Harleys. But I still wave at everyone of them I see. and If you come to MY HOUSE, it is full of Harley stuff, and West Coast Choopers stuff. In fact I have talked to Jesse on several occasions on the phone looking for different things people wanted to custom up something they had here and were working on. If you ever see me wearing a all black Hoodie sweatshirt with just two WCC emblems on it, one on front and one back, I got it from Jesse himself

Anyway, someday, when the weather is nice this spring, we should make a TSR showing at Kickstart. It would be a nice gesture.

Ok, Phil, you can have your soapbox back now.

I have run out of words.

IF I HAVE OFFENDED ANYONE, OR UPSET ANYONE IN ANY WAY OVER THIS POST, PLEASE CALL 1-800-EAT-SHIT.

Sorry, my vain attempt to be funny.

======= N S A NE =======

·
Registered
276 Posts
Amen, brother!!

P.S.
Point is, the owner is making an attempt to profit off of the current 'American Made Chopper' craze and trying to draw in the owners of 70-80-90k bikes to a new flashy Biker/Sports/Hooters bar.
So, um, Hooters? I'm in!:p

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm not sure you should be 'spreading' anything, Phil... :nanana :laughing That rash is hard to get rid of, isn't it?? :eek :p

·
Flying Squirrel
2,932 Posts
91GSXRBunny said:
I'm not sure you should be 'spreading' anything, Phil... :nanana :laughing That rash is hard to get rid of, isn't it?? :eek :p
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!:jawdrop

Oh, and nice posts P&P!:clap :clap :clap

·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
91GSXRBunny said:

YOU wanted to hear what all the hubub was about in the girls bathroom....so I showed you....THAT'S THE LAST TIME I SHOW YOU ANY PART OF MY ANATOMY!!

:rolleyes

·
Registered
525 Posts
Phil said:
YOU wanted in the bathroom....so I showed you....THAT'S THE LAST TIME I SHOW YOU ANY PART OF MY ANATOMY!!

DAMMIT!! No more co-ed naked motorcycling? Is that just for you Phil, or does it mean everyone have to keep their utinsils covered? :confused

·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nsane said:
DAMMIT!! No more co-ed naked motorcycling? Is that just for you Phil, or does it mean everyone have to keep their utinsils covered? :confused
I've only done Nekkid Triumph Riding twice, and both times I was told to never do it again (once by the local law enforcement)....if YOU wanna do it...go 'head.....if you want ME to do it with you....we'll need to get 'The Man's' approval first.

Phil

·
Registered
604 Posts
dibs on first nude rider of ducks in topeka. better start workin out i guess. dont want anybody to throw up at my whale sized bod and tic tac sized bud.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
BighornCaribou said:
dibs on first nude rider of ducks in topeka. better start workin out i guess. dont want anybody to throw up at my whale sized bod and tic tac sized bud.

that is disturbing on so many levels

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Phil said:
YOU wanted to hear what all the hubub was about in the girls bathroom....so I showed you....THAT'S THE LAST TIME I SHOW YOU ANY PART OF MY ANATOMY!!

Promise?? :nanana

·
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
91GSXRBunny said:
Maybe if you're nice, Phil, I'll drop the charges...:eek
No..dont....I think I've got something going on with Helga the security guard over at the time-out-spot. Gimme a few more days then drop 'em.....

THE CHARGES..jeesh

Phil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts