Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Wannabe racer................
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over on Dragva a dude asked about taking a bike on a track without plastics.

I responded saying that I would never do it as I feel the bike needs the aerodynamics for ease of handling at high speeds. Then Del got on and claimed that for 600's it wouldn't matter because they aren't that fast and that plastics only matter for 1000's!

I told him 600's max out at 160, liter bikes at 180.........and that there can't be that much of a difference at those speeds. Plus there aren't that many tracks that have a straight long enough to be doing 180mph for any extended amount of time.

Soooo...........what do you guys think?

It starts near the bottom of this page:

http://www.dragva.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75913&page=2

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
HAHAHAHAH dude i'm laughing at loud at work, because the guys at work asked what i was typing when i was replying yesterday and i said "watch, i bet tomorrow there will be a thread about this over on cycle forum's CR forum"

again way to lie to your buddy's, if you want them to make you feel better about yourself atleast tell the story true, it makes it even harder to prove your point when you have to exaggerate and lie about what the other guy is saying... in case everyone doesn't read my thread over there, not that i really even care but hey i'm bored as hell at work, basically my point was this...

VIR full course, south straight away... what would be a bigger handful to ride with out fairings, a 01 gsx-r 600 or a 03 gsx-r 1000? simple as that, according to sargeek they are the EXACT same

·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
del la sol said:
again way to lie to your buddy's, if you want them to make you feel better about yourself atleast tell the story true,

Ummmmmmmm......................I posted the link so they can read it for themselves.

How am I lying?:confused

del la sol said:
VIR full course, south straight away... what would be a bigger handful to ride with out fairings, a 01 gsx-r 600 or a 03 gsx-r 1000? simple as that, according to sargeek they are the EXACT same
Again; from the cheap seats this time:

A liter bike max's out at around 180, a 600 at around 160. Why in the WORLD would the liter bike be harder to handle without fairings than a 600?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?:confused

Del La Sol 1320 said:
... a 600 won't be as bad, but a liter bike with out fairings is a hell of a thing to hang onto down the south straight in 6th...

I'm saying that it will be the same. I'm saying that riding without fairings on a track is pretty foolish in the first place; whether it's a Kawi Ninja 250 or a busa. The fairings are there for a reason. To help with wind resistance and protect parts of the bike.

There is not that much of an increase from 160-180mph to warrant the comment you made to the dude asking the question. Plain and simple.

Both are moving soo damn fast at those speeds that not having the fairings would make it pretty damn difficult to stay seated and control the bike.

It's called not giving out bad info to people who don't know.

F' this. I've had it with dumb asses.:rant :rant :rant

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
its not bad info... i advised against him doing it... ok then so by your theory

VIR south straight, ninja 250 and a 400 rear wheel hp turbo hayabusa, both have no fairings... exact same right

and come on i didn't call you a dumbass even though i think your wrong

and i really don't think anyone but you or me care, so i would have probably just left it as one thread... if your done argueing just stop replying, but i'm bored so as long as you reply with something other than "your right" i'll keep replying

·
Registered
643 Posts
Your both wrong it has nothing to do with air resistance or anything silly like that.

You need to look up the importance of a flux capacitor during hyperspeed runs while opposing the earths rotation.

There you will find your answer.

BTW that means who cares? Don't get all bent out of shape about something so trivial.

·
I wanna go faasssssst!!!
1,677 Posts
Even a 1000 won't see 180 without aerodynamics. Aero's play a big part in speeds over 140-150, as big or more than HP.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
So.... let ME ask you both a question....

If I was on my R6 and some dude was on his zx10... would I be able to pass him on the front straight???

answer..... HELL YES!!!

It has been done and will stand the test of time.... I say this...anyone that thinks they need a liter bike to go fast on the track needs to have their head checked... either that... or needs to go to the GP...

How about this... fairings or no fairings 1000 or 600... if you don't know how to ride YOUR bike then fairings wont matter. "period"

have fun guys.

oh, and by the way.... fairings on a 600 will matter more then they will on a 1000... for lap times that is. A 1000 has the power (with the right rider) to pull through the wind... us "cool people" (j/k) need the aerodyminamics (hehehe) to pull us through the wind...

·
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I quoted mark and Ray's comments on Drag. That and this response here will be my final one's on this subject. Like I said earlier; I'm sick of arguing stupidity over the internet.

........................imagine that I said that? :confused YEESH!!!:shake I must be getting old!:redflip

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
ok good job that isn't at all what i was argueing so all points made are irrelevant... obviously a r6 can be faster on a track than a zx10 with the right rider thats common sense, i already said that anyways but i guess someone else saying it makes me wrong, or something, right... but you didn't pass a zx10 in a straight away on a r6 if you are both pulling the trigger, not happening sorry... no one said anything about needing a liter bike to be fast

and i'm not talking about lap times with our with out fairings who cares, i was talking about it being a struggle to hang onto a bike with out fairings down the straight away and made the comment that doing so is probably a little harder on a liter bike than a 600

try again if you like but once again you've failed to prove me wrong and my point still stands

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
xtrm said:
oh, and by the way.... fairings on a 600 will matter more then they will on a 1000... A 1000 has the power (with the right rider) to pull through the wind
i'm going to have to disagree with this as well... since the amount of horsepower needed to reach a higher speed is exponential and increases as speed increases, aerodynamics would be more and more important as speed increases... yes a liter bike might not need as good aerodynamics to reach a set speed compared to a 600 because like you said it has the power to pull it, but as far as the physics themselves are concerned aero's would i think play a more important role at 180 than 160... i'm not a phsyics major but thats just my loose understanding of how that works... like how salt flat guys with busas have the bodywork that eliminates the ram air ducts, they might lose 15 hp but the improved aero's are more beneficial to top speed

but at the same time you were talking about a road course and not a salt flat, in which case on the straight a 600 might get closer to its own top speed than a liter bike will to its own, in which case yes the aero's would be more important to the 6 like you said since the liter bike will still be pulling hard up til the brake markers and the 600 might have long since been fighting against that aerodynamic wall ... but we've gotten so far off from the point now, but i think thats what sargeek had intended

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
I still think the most priceless and intelligent quotation out of the whole argument would have to be the following:

On DragVA, del la sol said:
and seriously why do you have to type in size 60 font and use 30 exclamation points whenever you get proven wrong, if your having trouble getting your point across maybes its not because your font is too small, but because your simply incorrect
I love the way you argue del! ::crackup :crackup :clap :clap :laughing :laughing

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
To think this whole batch of shit started because of this question:

On DragVa, Jesus said:
I think he loves you hahaha... anyways back to the track thing. Is it ok to remove the farings on a track day? I remember you taking them off for one track day. I might be barrowing a 2002 telefonica GSXR 600 for a track day for next reason.
Of course, the whole argument started after Del said:

On DragVa, del la sol said:
you can take them off, but in hindesight i probably wouldn't do it again... a 600 won't be as bad, but a liter bike with out fairings is a hell of a thing to hang onto down the south straight in 6th... also i took them off so if i went down i wouldn't have to replace the bodywork, but its there to protect the frame, motor, and radiator from damage so if i went down it probably would have been more costly
To wit the argumentative retort was (sorry Rob, but the whole thing started because of tone in type, you came off as if you were looking for an argument, and kind of like an ass, and became more so throughout the entire thread):

On DragVa, sargeek1975 said:
Why wouldn't a 600 be as bad? Cause a liter bike can do a whole 15 more mph top speed than a 600? You find me a track that ANYONE at our level is hitting the rev limiter in 6th and I'll pay ya a whole dollar.

DON'T; as in DO NOT remove your fairings (imho). If you're that scared then I wouldn't waste the money on a track day in the first place.
From there the whole fucking thing just blew all out of proportion and completely distorted from those initial comments (as shit usually does) into something that is no where near the orginial topic...degenerating into nothing more than a comical pile of you wrong me right... though I must say that via logic and use of the English language, del had ya Rob. And it was pretty damn funny to read!

Some of my favorites were:

no its not opinion, its called physics, i mean i guess you can argue that the laws of physics are merely a set of largely accepted opinions, but i think we can both agree that they are fact and in that case i'm right and your wrong
or

i've ridden 600's on VIR, i've ridden 1000's... i have something to compare to, i don't claim to know all of your riding experience, so if you have a personal experience and not just a theory you made up while you were typing this then go ahead
and

i never said a word about which bike needed aerodynamics to push through the wind or not and i've stated this over and over, i'm talking about how hard it is to hang onto the handlebars with the wind kicking your ass on a straight away... and i'm still right and your still wrong
"...i'm still right and your(sic) still wrong" I was dying! :lol

But, in all truth, Mr. 6 summed the whole thing up quite well when he so succinctly posted this:

On DragVA, Mr. 6 said:
God damn, maybe i should write reviews for movies. Just cut out all the drama and get straight to the basic plot/info. In other words, this thread turned into a drama for no apparent reason and my review of it should make the drama/bickering back and forth stop.
Anyhow...just wanted to say thanx for the entertainment! Keep it up if you like, I can always use a good laugh or two. :D :D :D

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
:laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing :laughing

del la sol said:
but you didn't pass a zx10 in a straight away on a r6 if you are both pulling the trigger, not happening sorry...
Actually.....yeah. It can happen. Corner speed has ALOT to do with it. Sonic, Jester, and I can attest to that. CMP carousel, last apex. JEster on his thou giving it all holy nuts, Sonic and I on our SIXXES past and maintained the lead up the back striaght.

I have also passed and pulled on thousands at vir South on a 750. I've also pulled out onto the front at NORTH about 100 feet back behind a thousand and caught up to him BEFORE the barn, and out braked him on a 600.

I don't care how big yer motor is, if you are both posting 1/4 mile times within a second or two of eachother, I think the guy starting off at 40 or 50 miles an hour, deep into 2nd on a 600 will clearly be the victor over the guy starting off at 20 mph bogged out in 2nd, 'cause first would be too violent.

But what do I know? I just crash a lot! :)

:clap :clap :clap

·
I wanna go faasssssst!!!
1,677 Posts
Rob :stfu
Mark :stfu you passed a ZX-10 once. would you like to try and pass a 1000 on the HOV again, or did you forget about me leaving you behind the day of the dyno shootout?

It's gonna be hard as hell to hold onto any bike at speed without a fairing to hide behind, ask Ken.
Neither a 600 or a 1000 with have as high a top speed unfairing'd as it will with fairings. Like Del said, the effects of aero's are quadrupeled as speed reaches the 180mph neighborhood and higher. Why do you think the "dustbin" GP bikes of the '60s went so fast with only like 70HP? Why do you think a streamliner will do 300mph at Bonnieville

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
1. Del... sorry dude... did not go to drag va and read those....

2. Rob... you owe me a dollar... found the track... the rider and the bike... I hit the 6th gear rev at VIR north on the straight all the time.... so... wheres my dollar...punk...hehehe:thumb

any who... I still dont even know what this was all about... lol...

Del you are correct in the fact that it is hard to hold on... Rob... you are correct in the fact that it will not matter what size bike you have... but once again... that is my humble opinion... what do I know... I'm slow... hehehe

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
YEP, I hit rev twice at vir north, 1st while over at the barn, then when I strighten out, rpms drop a little then hit again a second later. something about the shorter circumfrence when on the side of the tire. I DO NOT NEED THE EXPLAINED TO ME I UNDERSTAND THAT! just wanted to get that out of the way! :laughing

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.