Votes: 17 36.2%
  • no

Votes: 30 63.8%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you believe in Karmic Retribution? for the sake of this poll, we will ignore the dictionary definition of Karma, and say "life gets you back for being a BAD person". :nono :riotact

in another thread, someone tried to imply that Michael Milken got cancer as Karmic Retribution for his junk bond schemes. :rolleyes

I suppose someone might also argue that Al Capone got syphilis from killing people and running booze and whores.

do you believe that "life" will get you back randomly for things you do? not in the case of you stealing something and getting caught and going to jail, or your wooing some guys girlfriend and him kicking your ass, even though now you have "his" girl on lock... but REALLY random events, as if someone's keeping tabs and dishing out more negative life experiences to people that act negatively than people that act positively.

there are a lot of rich JERKS and a lot of RIGHTEOUS poor folk, I think. :confused

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
As I posted in the other thread...;)

Karma is nothing more than honing the wheel of evolvement. It is not retribution, but merely a balancing of experiences

So this means just because you make a mistake in the past doesn't mean somewhere down the line you get whats coming to you. People make mistakes, and you life gets harder when you do not learn from those mistakes and keep making similar ones.

Every person will choose the required balance of experiences. There is no such thing as "bad Karma" inflicted upon someone for their misdeeds. The only judgment comes from yourself and God. And only you two can balance any inequities

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
I have a feeling this discussion is going to be "six of one" "half dozen of another".

What one calls Karma, another calls Life.

·
Registered
16,959 Posts
Life is inherently unfair, but I don't think you always pay a price for being bad or get rewarded (in this life) for being good.

Otherwise, life would be fair. :p

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
While I think that life frequently comes back and bites you in the ass for being a dirtwad, it's not guaranteed. I've run into some real dicks who seem to profit from their abuse of other people and also seem to be congratulated for it by others. One of these people did a lot of emotional damage to someone I care a great deal for and just goes on doing it to others, while his "friends" applaud him for it.

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
JEWELZ007 said:
I believe you get back from life what you put INTO it.
Not sure what category that falls under, but thats what I believe.
I agree. I think that as you do good deeds for people, they are more likely to remember you favorably and do something good for you if you should need it.

it would be nice if there were a correlation between good deeds and random occurances of goodness coming back to you, because if that were the case, more people would do good... if only to get the rewards from the cosmos.

·
They call me Jugs.
10,432 Posts
Papa_Complex said:
While I think that life frequently comes back and bites you in the ass for being a dirtwad, it's not guaranteed.
This is about where I stand on this topic…

I’ve had some shitty things happen to me… but in turn I think I’ve also done some pretty shitty things. It is sort of a balance as far as my own life goes.

I don’t necessarily think that if I go out and rob a bank tomorrow that I’m instantly going to be rewarded with some sort of bad deal for myself but I think you reap what you sow.

Chances are if you’re doing “bad things”, you’ve surrounded yourself in a bad way anyway and eventually something bad will happen to you in turn.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
I was the guy who proposed that perhaps Milkin got cancer as karmic comeuppance for his swindling...

And yes, there are a lot of rich jerks and righteous poor...but I'm not talking about your life in the global sense of "he's rich" or "he's poor". My concern is with the day-to-day happenings. I firmly believe that good leads to good, and bad leads to bad.

Being "rich" doesn't mean that your life doesn't suck (believe me, working here I see them all day). Sure, it means you drive a nice car...but your wife may be a slut, you may have incurable cancer, etc. etc. and these things may be there due to some karmic payback from being a jerk.

Being "poor" also doesn't mean that you aren't being repaid for being good. Are you healthly? Does your family love you? Do you have an appreciation for the "simple" things in life? You're being paid back for being a good person.

I have been in places in my life where things were going consistenly bad, or consistently good. More often than not, when I've been in a positive state of being (i.e. good outlook on life, trying to do for others, etc.) I find that good things happen to me. On the other hand, when things have been goning badly I'm often able to look back at my own actions and see that the bad situation I find myself in flowed from something I did.

I'm not looking to get into speculating about reincarnation, previous lives, etc. That's not my bag, man. My concern is with the life I'm currently living...and more often than not the direction it's taking (either positive or negative) has more to do with my actions than anything else. I view that as a form of karma.

Whether "life" and the cosmos are exacting revenge or rewarding me...or whether it's just good or bad things coming to me following a respective good or bad action on my part, it seems to work out.

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ride22West said:
I was the guy who proposed that perhaps Milkin got cancer as karmic comeuppance for his swindling...
heh. :p I wasn't gonna shout you out in the tabloids, man hehehe. :laughing

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
I believe in karma and I definitely believe life is fair but being fair doesnt mean you'll like everything that happens, just that in the end it all balances out.

I believe in karma but not that its some mystical force that punishes or rewards you. The word "karma" means "your doing" so when someone says it was your karma, all it means is that is was your doing. Meaning that things just dont happen, things happen because you put yourself in a position to allow them to happen good or bad. Not necessarily that you have direct control over everything but that you always have some control. The only exception I can think of where this isnt true is when it comes to infants.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I like your posts Rtype...

I agree life is unfair or fair depending on how you look at it but I also think there is a deeper meaning in it (all life).

Everyone will experience the negatives, it's just how you deal with it. Will it make you a better person in the end, make you stronger or will it destroy you ?

The most important thing is, will you learn from it.

There is a purpose to everything and what we bring with us when we die.

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
7,107 Posts
samael said:
I like your posts Rtype...

Careful he's one of those Dirty NYers ;)

yes I frimly believe in Karma

·
Moderator,
17,102 Posts
It would be great if everyone got what they deserved in this life, but all in all I think fairness is a fallacious construct.

It makes us feel better to think some unseen force will come along and kick that guy who did terrible things right in the nuts.

I believe we live with the products of free will.

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
You reap what you sow...

What a tangled web we weave....sometimes we tangle ourselves in it...

What goes around...comes around

The seed you plant will either..... grow to feed you in life or grow to choke you.

All these and other sayings and parables aren't just made up bunk....there time tested and true.

·
Registered
24,114 Posts
I have to disagree with you Excessa....

You can be some total schmuck in life and die a happy bastard but, you legacy will be put to shame....your family will be hacked by the paper,they'll be casted as snobs and written off....Some things don't come tomorrow over night they take time even generations to come to back....Not to go into a biblical text....but, many times God has made off spring and different generations pay for the mis deeds of there past relatives.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.