Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CF Security Administrator,
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone installed this stuff? Any tips?

Due to a hot water heater leak I'm forced to replace the flooring in my house (living room, dining room, hallway). I HATE carpet so we decided to go with a laminate "hardwood" (armstrong swiftlock)

I've finally got the subfloor dried out and picked up the flooring last night. I'm gonna start putting this stuff down this evening after work. It looks pretty straightforward, but I figured I'd ask if anyone who has any experiance with the stuff for some tips...

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
easy as can be!!

If installing in a full bathroom, a bead of Armstrong Laminate Flooring Glue must be applied to the top of the tongue ONLY and 100% silicone caulk must be used around the entire perimeter because the water will kill this stuff!!

check this link out!!

http://www.armstrong.com/reslaminatena/article5443.asp

They answer all the q's you could have!

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
make sure to get a Pergo Install. kit or some sort of install kit, well worth the ~$15

Z and i have done 2 floors, and it's pretty easy

when you lay down 1 row, the part that you cut off. use that for the beginning of the next row

never have 4 board's have 1 common corner

·
Thanks for having us all these years, Rez. Best o
20,204 Posts
ZEOS - how did your install come out? We want to pull out the carpeting in our 3 bedrooms and lay down some Armstrong laminate. Any thing you would suggest after your experience with installing the stuff?

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
damm.......old thread......:laughing

·
20,204 Posts
RACER X said:
damm.......old thread......:laughing
Yes but it's a prime example of the power of the SEARCH button and how useful it can be. :rolleyes

:laughing

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
I did 2 rooms in the stuff and I love it. :)

·
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LeeNetworX said:
ZEOS - how did your install come out? We want to pull out the carpeting in our 3 bedrooms and lay down some Armstrong laminate. Any thing you would suggest after your experience with installing the stuff?
It went exceptionally well actually. There were a couple of minor issues which were worked out by some good old fashioned backwoods engineering ;) ....The biggest problem I had was the damn things comming apart earlier in the long runs when I'd get to the ends :mad. Solved by using some 3" masking tape across the joints as I went along to act as makeshift "hinges".

I also went the the more expensive pergo backing (used armstrong laminate) One of my neighbors has since put one down and used the thinner armstrong backing -since seeing his, I'm glad I did ....my floor is "quieter" -It acts as a sound insulator.

The I'm happy with the overall finished product too ....and more importantly, so I the spousal unit ;)

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
I can't wait to rip out my carpeting...I want to use real hardwood though , I'm leaning towards Austrian Cypress...I love the "knots" au natural look.

·
20,204 Posts
I like the real stuff but dogs and real wood floors = PITA. The laminate will hold up better to scuffing and scratches, etc.

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Well nowadays they use a high quality prefinished wood which has excellent durability. Yes, you have to sand it every few years and re-apply the finish...but I still think it's worth it..:D

·
6,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LeeNetworX said:
I like the real stuff but dogs and real wood floors = PITA. The laminate will hold up better to scuffing and scratches, etc.
Exactly the reason I went with the laminate....My monster hasn't so much as put a scratch on it....

·
Inspector #5
1,434 Posts
Lee,
If I can make a suggestion, before installation I would allow the product to acclimate itself to the rooms temperature before installation. The wood must expand and contract and depending on the temperature at the time of the install this could cause bubbling (first hand experience talking, had a "friend" install it and as soon as the weather warmed up I had a huge bubble in my hallway).
So, I suggest leaving the required space (1&1/4?) around the edges which will remain covered by the molding.
Just so you know my tenant puts that floor thru the ringer and it still looks like new (not like hardwood but still pretty good).
Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts