Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '89 EX500 and have recently worked my tires out to the edges, gotten a little squirly at my max lean a few times, but nothing is dragging. I'm nervous I will lose traction before something touches down. My rear tire shows wear to the edge so I'm wondering what the limits are on this bike before I end up heading into the treeline....

Thanks!

·
Loser with a slow bike
220 Posts
I have the Avon Azaro II's. The front is the AV35 110/70/17. Rear is the AV36 140/80/17. There are no clearance problems with the wider rear. I've heard that there might be problems with 150 though.

When I got the bike it still had the stock tires, which sucked. Once I started pushing the bike a little harder I noticed how much better the Avons were. I haven't noticed any problems with the bike falling over slower.

Not that it matters, but the rear also has a cool looking tread pattern. :cool:

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rear swingarm has been modified and has a 150/80 Dunlop 205 - Front is a 120

The rear has a one inch split down to the cords (but its been that way for awhile) so it'll be replaced at the beginning of next season. I know nothing about tires, so if you have any suggestions on a relatively soft (sticky) tire please post your .02!

·
Registered
228 Posts
dayyum i guess i need some input here guys. im the proud new owner of a 93 kawi EX500. upon reading this, and realizing i have a 100/90/16 on the front and a 130/80/16 on the rear. im kinda worried.. what is the ideal size tires to slap on my bike, what is max and what is best. the tires i currently have are dunlop .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 89 with same size wheels as you Ripped.
I had to go on up in width in the rear to a 140.
I went to the Bridgeston BT45 and they seem quite good so far. Only 1,000 miles on them so far though and I'm not much into draggin knees.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah, i am wondering though if i go to a 14/80/16 in the rear, if its practical or safe to put the 130/80/16 to the front or stay with the life preserver front i have now. LOL. bike just seems a bit delicate in turns, it prolly just me in all honesty only been riding for a few weeks now. but i know me from squirrley and it seems "loose" to me. maybe if i watched someone more experienced as a rider than me take it through a corner faster than me, i would be convinced its not the tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.