Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '89 EX500 and have recently worked my tires out to the edges, gotten a little squirly at my max lean a few times, but nothing is dragging. I'm nervous I will lose traction before something touches down. My rear tire shows wear to the edge so I'm wondering what the limits are on this bike before I end up heading into the treeline....

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Gotta be the tires, stock tires suck really bad and they have no stick. They wear to the edges in just a slight lean too. change em out, ill be doing this to my wifes bike too, her progess is growing fast, and soon will be outdoing those stock sucky Exedras...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Normally speaking, you're pegs are supposed to be the first hard part to touch down and that should be well before you run out of tire.

But, I gotta agree with projekt7R - stock tires suck.

·
Loser with a slow bike
220 Posts
I got Avon's on my 95, I actually went up to a 140 in the rear. The tire is worn out till the edges and my bike drags a peg if I push it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Wider tire, by definition, equals slower turn in. But, sometimes it's worth it (particulalrly when all your tire choices for the stock size suck). Just don't go more than +/- one size.

·
Loser with a slow bike
220 Posts
I have the Avon Azaro II's. The front is the AV35 110/70/17. Rear is the AV36 140/80/17. There are no clearance problems with the wider rear. I've heard that there might be problems with 150 though.

When I got the bike it still had the stock tires, which sucked. Once I started pushing the bike a little harder I noticed how much better the Avons were. I haven't noticed any problems with the bike falling over slower.

Not that it matters, but the rear also has a cool looking tread pattern. :cool:

·
Registered
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear swingarm has been modified and has a 150/80 Dunlop 205 - Front is a 120

The rear has a one inch split down to the cords (but its been that way for awhile) so it'll be replaced at the beginning of next season. I know nothing about tires, so if you have any suggestions on a relatively soft (sticky) tire please post your .02!

·
Registered
228 Posts
dayyum i guess i need some input here guys. im the proud new owner of a 93 kawi EX500. upon reading this, and realizing i have a 100/90/16 on the front and a 130/80/16 on the rear. im kinda worried.. what is the ideal size tires to slap on my bike, what is max and what is best. the tires i currently have are dunlop .

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an 89 with same size wheels as you Ripped.
I had to go on up in width in the rear to a 140.
I went to the Bridgeston BT45 and they seem quite good so far. Only 1,000 miles on them so far though and I'm not much into draggin knees.

·
Registered
228 Posts
yeah, i am wondering though if i go to a 14/80/16 in the rear, if its practical or safe to put the 130/80/16 to the front or stay with the life preserver front i have now. LOL. bike just seems a bit delicate in turns, it prolly just me in all honesty only been riding for a few weeks now. but i know me from squirrley and it seems "loose" to me. maybe if i watched someone more experienced as a rider than me take it through a corner faster than me, i would be convinced its not the tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts