Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know any compulsive liars ?

I was seeing this girl who lied so much about herself it was incredible!

She told me she was a CEO of a company which I found out later she delivers flyer's for extra money. I would catch her in her lies by asking the same question a few days later and she would always change her story.

I knew this guy who told me he beat up 5 guys but got stabbed in the knee. My friend told me he went to school with him and he told him that he got the scar from knee surgery.

I can go on and on...

why do you think that some people lie alot, is it because they have low self esteem or are they trying to prove themselves to you?

I don't care if your a wimp or an idiot just try to be honest and yourself.

btw MERRY CHRISTMAS !

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
samael said:
She told me she was a CEO of a company which I found out later she delivers flyer's for extra money.
HA! :toofunny that's a good one! :laughing

I have met compulsive liars, and large lies like that don't bother me. what bugs me is the little things. don't lie about whether you went straight home, when I watched you, and you didn't. don't lie about going to the ATM, then don't produce any cash when I say "let's see it". the problem with small lies is that they don't NEED to be told.

maybe the chick told you she was a CEO in order to get laid. fine. she got you. :redflip you screwed a street-vendor. so what? if someone has a compulsive need to tell small lies, you can't trust ANYTHING that they've told you, ever. if she shows up @ your place with bruises on her face, you can't take her word that some guy she's never seen before beat her up in the street due to no fault of her own. it adds a surreal sheen to your relationship. :confused

I know a girl that lies because it's easier for her to maintain relationships that way. the main lie she uses is "I am / was asleep". this means she was out with another guy, drinking and/or fucking. since she would be immediately dumped if her boyfriend knew how she really gets down, she lies, he's none the wiser, and life goes on as usual. this is strategic and calculated though... drastic lies about what one does for a living seems more like a personality disorder IMO. :D

either way, people like this are to be avoided at all costs before they fabricate something about YOU to the cops or their big brothers! :redflip

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
I'm the Pres... uh, the King of the United States. Yeah, that's the ticket ;)

Known plenty of people who "puff their resume" to ther world. A few more who practically have a case of Munchhausen by proxy. You know, the kind who claim to have invented the rubber band or the paper clip.

·
Moderator,
8,056 Posts
Munchausen syndrome is where persons invent , or in some cases attempt to cause , illness in order to *cure* them , usually with their children but often with pets and even themselves . By proxy means that a proxy , another person , is the focus of the illness and not themselves . I think Delusions of Grandeur is the condition you meant to say .

I can't believe anyone would question veracity on an internet forum . I know that there are other forums out there where the average member isn't a multimillionaire , trained ninja with a 12" unit and the ability to school Rossi if only we had the time to take off from our threesomes with supermodels in Cancun but I don't post on boards where people are boring and are liars . :shake

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Dump the "by proxy" then. I'm no psychologist. I've only dated a couple ;)

My understanding was that it doesn't necessarily involve the faking of illness in self or others, though that's the most common form. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. It was named for Baron Munchausen, who would make wild claims about his many adventures. From now on I'll try to stick to descriptions rather than using terms I don't know the definitions for ;)

Delusional would definitely be a simple way to describe it. I've spoken to people who claim things like they set a track record in such-and-such a year and truly seem to believe it, but then I've found records that didn't even show the person racing that year..... or ever.

·
Moderator,
17,102 Posts
I've met more than a handful of liars and I can't stand them. Mainly because when I was a little kid having the traditional tragic childhood I used to lie constantly.

...because I hated myself and thought I was the cause of my circumstances. ANytime I had an opportunity to showcase that I wasnot me, I'd be sure to have a fabrication on hand. I never could keep up with what I said to whom. It basically went like this, "What's your favorite cereal Rebecca?" and I'd think, what would a normal person say?

And say "CHeerios! Oh I love Cheerios. Don't even need sugar." when in truth I'd kill the last Siberian Tiger on Earth for a bowl of Crunch Berries.

Now when people do that 'casual' lying to me it makes me feel very prickly and embarassed. Like I'm being visited by my own ghost.

As an adult I have a strange opposite problem to dishonesty. Sometimes I want to regale people with a story of something I've seen or done, but I don't, because as fate would have it, I've brought myself into some pretty unbelievable circumstances.

Odd how it coems around.

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
excessa said:
Anytime I had an opportunity to showcase that I wasnot me, I'd be sure to have a fabrication on hand. I never could keep up with what I said to whom. It basically went like this, "What's your favorite cereal Rebecca?" and I'd think, what would a normal person say?

I think this was the case with my friend who was a casual liar. she would concentrate more on what the "right" answer was than what the TRUE answer was. I used to ask her the exact same question until she answered correctly... being that I already knew the answer to the question I was asking her. :laughing

I think it was a childhood issue with her as well. I don't think she felt accepted. I told her straight that I didn't care much about the things she did, but warned her not to demolish her credibility with me with these little bullshit lies. unfortunately, years of a successful defense mechanism are hard to overcome, even at the suggestion of someone you love and respect. :(

·
Moderator,
17,102 Posts
RtypeNYC said:
I think this was the case with my friend who was a casual liar. she would concentrate more on what the "right" answer was than what the TRUE answer was. I used to ask her the exact same question until she answered correctly... being that I already knew the answer to the question I was asking her. :laughing

I think it was a childhood issue with her as well. I don't think she felt accepted. I told her straight that I didn't care much about the things she did, but warned her not to demolish her credibility with me with these little bullshit lies. unfortunately, years of a successful defense mechanism are hard to overcome, even at the suggestion of someone you love and respect. :(
I think it takes a great deal of courage to face the fact that ones default coping mechanisms are defective. By the time you are mature enough to realize it, looking unflinchingly at waht an ass you've been is pretty fricken painful.

I'm still prone to an occasional cringe out of the blue. I'll just get a flash of something I did or said and feel so foolish.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
Yes I know people like this. Infact am working on getting totally rid of one now(wow, that kind of sounds bad doesn't it....I don't mean anything other then getting him out of my life):laughing. I can't stand people who feel the need to lie about themself to others. The truth is that eventually the truth is going to surface, they can't run from it or hide it. Why not just be honest. I mean lets face it people, none of us out there are perfect and if someone can not accept you for who/what you are screw em ya don't need em!!!!

·
Forum Leader,
18,928 Posts
yup my ex was one (first boyfriend) and it eventually caught up with him in the end and he turned to drugs so wouldn't have to deal with it. Ended up ODing this year for good. :shrug

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
kat_600 said:
The truth is that eventually the truth is going to surface, they can't run from it or hide it. Why not just be honest.
even if the truth comes out eventually, liars can dictate how their lives work for them until that time arrives. this is the incentive. not to get away with something, but to delay that truth from surfacing until they get what they want or are done with the relationship.

a friend of mine was going out with some guy, and was never invited to his house. eventually, his friends told her that her boyfriend had a girlfriend AND a kid. :eek did the truth come out? yes. but until that time, he had both women at his disposal. did she become a better judge of the truth after this event? no. it happened to her again, on the very next relationship. :shake from then on, she started dating ONLY guys that she didn't feel had the looks or ability to get other girls in an attempt to avoid getting cheated on again.

in most instances where people feel they have to lie about things, if they were honest from the beginning... "I'm married". "I have no intention of marrying you". "I don't want to have kids, but I don't want to use birth control either". the relationship would never get off the ground. the point is to get as much out of the situation as they can before someone notices "there's something rotten in denmark".

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know on the internet it's harder to tell if someone's lying but I'm tired of it.

None of us are perfect... I have problems in my life that I deal with. Like most of you guys here I've experienced alot of nasty shit which has both humbled and strengthened me.

I hardly talk about them with my own family but I do discuss them here on cf when it starts to bother me.

I fell for this girl, I thought was an angel until I really got to know her. Last week she told me she wanted a week off cause she wanted to take care of her ailing mom. She had this FAKE sad look on her face and told me "now I'm not going to have a christmas"

I told her that taking care of her mother was more important then christmas ! I also found out afterwards that she just wanted time off with her friends and that her mom wasn't sick.

I'm going to take a break from dating for a long time...

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1fastchick said:
yup my ex was one (first boyfriend) and it eventually caught up with him in the end and he turned to drugs so wouldn't have to deal with it. Ended up ODing this year for good. :shrug
Holy :(

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
samael said:
I also found out afterwards that she just wanted time off with her friends and that her mom wasn't sick.

I'm going to take a break from dating for a long time...
oof. :shake sorry to hear that.

unfortunately, there's no "liar's dating service" so they can hook up together and do jacked-up things to EACH OTHER! :doublefli

it always turns out somehow that liars hook up with people who are just looking for someone to believe in.

·
ReelSolid.TV
9,056 Posts
Papa_Complex said:
Sure there is...

http://www.ashleymadison.com/
:confused

"for women seeking romantic affairs... and the men who want to fulfill them"???

:toofunny :toofunny where does homey sign? :1pimp

EDIT:

hey... wait a minute. :p
isn't that that guy citadel on the splash page? :crackup :crackup

·
2 As 1
272 Posts
Well, some people just need to do it in order to cope, or feel like they fit in.

One time, when I was training with the SEALS, we had the Terminator, Mr. Ahnold come by. He asked me, How is it that I can be so sure of myself, and how did I get such massive muscles.

Course, since I was also there just on a visit of sorts, since I was CIA at the time, doing a little undercover work, I really couldn't talk with him too long.

Besides, I had to get going anyway... yup, another oil rig was on fire, and I was needed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I knew one guy who was a friend of a friend who always told lies. Every time I ran into him I had to hear this bullshit. So, I just started making up my own stories. I would talk about how just as I was leaving my house I had to fight off a pack of ninjas and stuff like that. I you are going to lie all the time, at least make it interesting.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
excessa said:
I think it takes a great deal of courage to face the fact that ones default coping mechanisms are defective. By the time you are mature enough to realize it, looking unflinchingly at waht an ass you've been is pretty fricken painful.

I'm still prone to an occasional cringe out of the blue. I'll just get a flash of something I did or said and feel so foolish.
So you finally outgrew it? Was there something that made you see what you'd been doing for what it really was?

Reason I ask is that I have a close relative who is, still, at age 45 a compulsive liar.

The relative knows, now, through years and years of it that the rest of us are on to it, but still persists in spinning the truth.

I have called BS on several things now flat out, only to be assured that "no, for real, this is what's going on".

Then a month later the real truth comes out.

So I guess I'm asking: Is there something the rest of us can do or say that will finally and for all make this person realize the lies have to stop?

·
At BANNED Camp
16,067 Posts
You guys want to know what is funny? I am probably more truthful on here than in real life. I have posted about getting my ass kicked by hobo. About my martial arts sucking and my katas looking like the Tin Man's after a saltwater bath. I have bitched about my (on a good day) average sized dick. I have posted about being fat. About women troubles. About my asshole son-in-law.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.