Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone here has really invested the time in building one or could give me some pointers?

It would be ideal to run off a switch, and lock when in a "off" position. Yanno, this is strickly for my showbike :crackup so I don't have to umn, worry about my plate making my bike look crappy.

Any help would be great, thanks.

·
BLESS YOUR HEART
1,680 Posts
I'd hate to say it, but scientists and engineers have been tackling this technical problem for decades. When a promising prototype emerges, a small fatal flaw surfaces in the field. The test pilot often is overcome with sudden violent tramua called "police brutality." So far, no devices have hit the market.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
The best one I have ever seen is one that worked off of a remote control car servo, with a switch located on the bars near the headlight switch, it was just on a small piano hinge, with the servo pulling a small rod connected to the plate that would pull it back and flat on the undertail. Not for me, but pretty slick...

1,537 Posts
I've seen them, so i knwo they exist. something like stealth plate or something. but it flips the plate up with the flick of a switch.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've seen them on Ebay before. It seems like I saw one that was made with the gear that they used to use to move radio antennas on cars up and down or something.

I wouldn't recommend it. If you're caught with it, expect to have the book thrown at you.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
the one i was talking about was made by a company and called fasttags or something..........but if i remember right it was like $200 so that's why i didn't buy one

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
a guy here had a homemade one on his 89 GSXR1340RR.

he used the left controls from a katana 1100, that included the up/down control for the electric windscreen, and connected a small electrical motor with a solid rod attached to the plate.
If it was grabbed, it was solid, but it could be flipped up out of sight in seconds, and looked factory installed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, something like that will probably work, although I'm wanting to hook it up through the undertail so all the hardware is out of sight. The fasttags one still has the hinges in clear view and like someone else mentioned, a beatdown by cops would be sure to follow if they seen it. haha

Also I need to figure out a way to sort of "lock" it in position, because around here cops will usually grab at your plate to see if it's hinged or anything of the like. I'm sure they aren't going to yard on it as hard as they can, but a quick tug could get your asa nice hefty fine.

I was working on some designs yesterday, but haven't really perfected anything quite yet :(

·
Registered
860 Posts
Yup, fasttags. Saw one of their ads in the latest issue of Motorcyclist. Not sure if they have a website, though.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
dattaway said:
I'd hate to say it, but scientists and engineers have been tackling this technical problem for decades. When a promising prototype emerges, a small fatal flaw surfaces in the field. The test pilot often is overcome with sudden violent tramua called "police brutality." So far, no devices have hit the market.
:nono they exist. Only problem is the government stole the plans and filed them with the "never needs replacing" sparkplug and the 250mpg carburator :p

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
There was one that I remember seeing, but it wasn't anything mechanical that hid the plate. It was a cover that could go from see through to opaque with the flip of a switch. Probably the device that stanger is mentioning because I do remember it being like $200.

·
Pastarockets FTMFW
351 Posts
slikz is on my board!

:hail :hornball :hail

1 - 20 of 21 Posts