Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember a while back reading a thread about good local gun shops but I can't find it. Can anybody recommend a couple decent shops where I could find a good deal on a handgun or a shotgun?
I'm going shopping with my brother in law and he's wanting to pick up a regular old 12 ga shotgun and some sort of handgun. He doesn't know much about handguns ( I guess I don't either, I was always into rifles), so any recommendations on handguns would be cool too. He's looking for a fun plinker and something good for home defense. It doesn't have to be compact or anything but he's not a big guy so Desert eagle .50 probably isn't the best. I was thinking something with good stopping power but cheap rounds.
Anyway, shop suggestions would be much appreciated. We're just north of Seattle but wouldn't mind driving around a bit.

Thanks,
Jared

·
Registered
751 Posts
You probably looking for a .357sig or a .40 S&W or a .45 acp for stopping power and reasonable rounds in a semi-auto. revolver would be a .44magnum with a 6" inch barrel or a .357magnum with atleast a 5"inch barrel, remember .357sig and .357magnum are different rounds, it all boils down on what your willing to spend on a gun for good quality, because there's alot of throwdown guns, use them a couple of times and throw them down..

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
.357 sig is pretty spendy for ammo. Try a 9mm if cost is a factor. Remember that pretty much all handgun rounds suck, it's all shot placement. Bigger rounds are only marginally more effective and "one stop shot" statistics are all bullshit. Buy something you can hit a target with because you can't miss fast enough to win.

Shotgun or .223 rifle make the most sense if you want to keep it around the house.

Make sure he gets some real training to go with it. Lots of decent schools around that will bring things into perspective.

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
.45 with reasonable stopping power hahaha that sounds so funny... it will blow your head off! yeah i shop at wades bring cash and you get the discount.. but they are kinda expensive still.... go to a pawn shop thats where the deals are!!! hehehe

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cool guys! Thanks for all the info.
We'll definitely check out Wade's and I know he wanted to look at that place in Bothell...I think it's on Beardslee... And maybe we'll even get all the way down to Puyallup.

Thanks for the handgun suggestions as well. A .45 acp would be a lot of fun and is something I'd like to own but I think for his first handgun I'll try steering him towards a reliable 9mm. I'm not too fond of the revolvers but I'll pass on those suggestions to him as well.

It's kinda scary how easily you can get a concealed permit. He's 21 and just walked into the Sheriff's office, filled out some stuff and they said they would mail it to him. I'll definitely encourage him to take some training though, I know it can make a world of difference.

Thanks again,
Jared

·
sumthin sounds crunchy
3,646 Posts
I'm a diehard .45 guy...

but for plinking I have a .22, cause after I spend all my cash on .45 shells, I can shoot the .22 all day..

When it comes to guns, it's all about your price range.. If your brother doesn't know much about guns, I'd also suggest a saftey class.

Shotguns, Mossberg is the cheapest decent name, remmington is where I spend my money.. but then you go all the way up with like a ithica, or super spendy model. You should figure out what he's gonna use a shotgun for.. If it's just home protection, a pump is the most reliable, with a "shorter" barrel.. Not sawed off though.. that's pretty much only usable in Super short distance.. 8-10 feet.. If your going to shoot skeet, or birds, you need a real barrel, with a choke. Then your pattern will hold out for a reasonable distance.. and a lot of bird guys use semi-auto's

For a handgun, like boswalt said. 9mm is the cheapest.. but I'm a sucker for the stopping power. Again, the prices totally depend on how much you want to spend... there are cheaper handguns, and more expensive ones... 2-300 is the low end, and 800-1500 is the higher end..

If your looking for a "toy" to shoot out in the woods, that's one thing.. but when it comes to home protection, you need to be serious about it.

I'm not a glock guy, but their reputation for being a solid piece of hardware is hard to ignore. Also springfield Arms, Para-ordanance, sig sauer, wilson combat, and H&K are some reputable manufacturers..

I'd do some research, and pick a caliber, then go from there to picking a brand. Good luck.. Also if your trying to get it before chrismas, you may be a little late with waiting periods for handguns... They also don't really like it when your buying for someone else... so if your getting one, for him.. you'll have to bring him, and put it in his name..

·
Registered
618 Posts
Anyone know why WSI in Bellevue closed down? I always went there and liked the place.

BTW, I put my vote in for Sig Sauer handguns...pricey, but well made. I had a Sig P239 in .40 S&W a few years back...not cheap to shoot though :(

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info Tl1ks! My brother in law is actually going with me, I'm just providing what little help I can offer. He's already received his concealed weapons permit so I believe the purchase should be a little simpler.
As far as shotgun, I did recommend the mossberg or good old remington, can't go wrong with a pump. I think he's into more of trap shooting with the shotgun so longer barrel is a good tip. He's got some money to spend but it doesn't hurt to get a good deal and more of a budget gun for now.

I've fired a .45 once before and it's a heck of a lot more fun than shooting little .22's. Good suggestion though, I'll have him decide what calibur he wants and then pick a brand. We've kinda been looking at them all, Glock, S&W, H&K, and most have some nice, reasonably priced models. He already has a .22 Remington rifle for plinking so maybe .45 would be the way to go especially if it's mostly for home protection.

Thanks!
Jared

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
Benneli semi auto Shot guns are kick ass chamber once and shoot as many as the gun will hold. Hand guns I see alot of 9mm around cheap target rounds and defensive rounds. Remember with HK every damn upgrade or replacement part is expensive!!!! Good luck!

·
Registered
5,290 Posts
for home defense i use a double barrel 10 gauge sawed off to 14" with 3.5" magnum slugs. it has a little stopping power.

·
STEW'S LOVE CHILD
20,003 Posts
I know a guy who will meet ya anywhee ya want (as long as its dark out) and he can get you anything you want:redflip

·
SHHHHITZILLA
9,452 Posts
my concealed pistol license allows me to shoot retards...

·
STEW'S LOVE CHILD
20,003 Posts
Circus Bear said:
Umm....I think we'll pass on the suspicious white van guy. Thanks for offering though....
:shake
The van is not white its black, but shhh don't tell anyone;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would say, either a .40, or a .45. The .40 is a better round out of the box than a 9mm, altho you can handload a 9mm up..

a 12g pump is good. I wouldnt go with the .223 only because those rounds go a long ass ways, and through a lot of shit. So for most people, living 20ft. from another house. . .

Just go to the shooting range, and get to be a good shot. Then it really doesn't matter what you get, you'll be able to protect yourself.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts