Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is how my bike starts. Old batt died, put new battery in and when I hit start the initial cycle of the starting process, when the starter turns and makes that hipitch sound while it rapidly cranks the starter I guess, it's drawn out. Picture the starting sequence from hitting start (and the associated sounds) as a graph, like an EKG: take either end of the line of that EKG and pull them away from eachother, and that's what I'm talking about.

I.E. rather than several rapid cycles as in normal starting it begins with a few-second kind of whine and then it begins cranking normally and starts. After the bike runs for a while each subsequent start is normal, sounds strong.

Is that completely hard to understand? :( It's hard to describe and that's about the best I can do. It's behaving like the battery is dying, like starting after sitting for a few weeks. But it doesn't seem to be the juice of the battery (i.e. it's strong)...maybe one of the starting mechanisms/components is on the outs?

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
316 Posts
Could be that the starter gear in the motor has lost some of its teeth (or woren some down) & so is slipping over before some cogs connect & actually fire up the engine. Some bikes have such gears made of rather poor metal & life is limited on said gears --- so it will have to be replaced & feel you would be best to check with a m/c mechanic before you jump the gun on what I say.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To my knowledge the battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bump

Anyone, anyone? :(

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Do yourself a favor and inspect the starter motor. Pull it off the bike, open it up, check the coils, stator, contacts etc. Then clean it and reassemble. Then test it on a workbench.

This is where I would start.

Also make sure to check the cap on the ignition pickup coil. The gap should be 0.15" optimally.

Good luck.:p

·
Brought to you by the letter 1
6,239 Posts
On my zx6 I had an issue once upon a time where the coil/fuse coming off the battery going directly to the starter was dragging. Kinda sounded like the electronic part of the starting system was dragging before actually letting the starter itself engage. I replaced that piece and everything worked fine..took me awhile to figure out too, was my first issue with a bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts