Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
daddy vroom vroom
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're taking our dogs to Houston this weekend and don't really want them to have to ride in the back of the truck without anything to protect them from the cold. Since I rarely cart the dogs anywhere I really don't want to buy a new carrier if I don't have to. I'd really appreciate it and I'm sure they would too.

·
daddy vroom vroom
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JBTX said:
What kind of dogs?
Is that a trick question? 4-legged not 2-legged.

1. basset/beagle mix and he is about 45lbs
2. Daschund mini 12lbs
3. Daschund standard/ cocker mix 16lbs

·
Registered
124 Posts
Where abouts do you live? I have a large carrier, for my chocolate lab, that will hold all of your dogs. I live just south of Hutto, give me a ring if you are around this area.

Chris 252-7519

·
Registered
23,150 Posts
those small dog's really shouldn't be out in the bed like that. they don't take to cold very well. and it's gonna be pretty cold the next couple days. they don't have very much protection from the cold w/ their short hair vs long haired dog's.......IMO :shrug

·
daddy vroom vroom
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
txsilverR6 said:
Where abouts do you live? I have a large carrier, for my chocolate lab, that will hold all of your dogs. I live just south of Hutto, give me a ring if you are around this area.

Chris 252-7519
Thanks. I'll give you a call this afternoon if I can't find one for uber cheap down here (I'm in S Austin).

RACER X said:
those small dog's really shouldn't be out in the bed like that. they don't take to cold very well. and it's gonna be pretty cold the next couple days. they don't have very much protection from the cold w/ their short hair vs long haired dog's.......IMO :shrug
Only one of my dogs is short haired and that's the smallest one, Bella. All of them have doggie perfomance fleece jackets to keep them warm as well. I think they'll be fine back there in a carrier/ box with blankets and their fleece jackets.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Suggestion?

This may not help, but if you're going to use the carrier. I would cover it with a blanket or something (leave some ventilation!) but the wind chill would be pretty wicked at 70mph for 3 hours in the pickup. If you would have a tough time doing it, generally so will your dogs.

Anyhow, protected from the wind with 2 in the box to keep each other warm, they'd probably be OK for the drive, but check on the dachshund for sure. Be safe.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
+1 i have a hard time wearing full leather and layers and layers of sweatshirts just BEING outside... let alone being in the back of a pickup flying down the freeway.

·
daddy vroom vroom
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after spending the last ~6hrs searching for something to keep them warm enough and to cart them down we're going to rearrange our holiday plans. If the days were going to be warmer we'd just have our neighbor come over and let them in at night. However, since the highs are projected to be pretty low it looks like we'll either make a day trip out of it or just stay home.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Right on, mate.

With some hay, my pooch'd be fine all snuggled up in a breezy dog carrier in sub-zero temperatures, but you'd need a ton of hay in there for your wee ones to be OK.

Safe and happy holidays all y'all!!!!

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts