Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Titanium Inside
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all let me throw up a disclaimer.

1) I KNOW this is going to turn into an argument.
2) This is NOT aimed at virtualt... AT ALL. I am merely using the comments he made in the other thread to make my argument.
3) FEEL FREE to disagree with me. I won't take it personally.

So here goes...

virtualt said:
I dunno, maybe it's the whole wheelying through the main streets, and doing burnouts and stoppies while Joe Schmo is walking by, nah, that can't be it surely??
First of all, for the .01% of the general public (that are not motorcycle riders) that have witnessed this... I'll agree, that would ake a strong case against motorcycle riders.
Second, I have not contributed to this. I can hardly DO a wheelie, much less one I would be proud enough of to do on a main street anywhere

Or maybe its the ridiculously load pipes that people put on thier bikes in the quest for more power and speed, knowing full well that the darn bike has 50% more than they can handle in the first place, nah probably not that either

So our stereotype is based on the crown that have D&D pipes on their Katana and show off like it is a GP bike? They aren't the majority! Who can't handle their bike? If you fall into that crowd, buy a damn car!

So it must be the riding through traffic on the 3 mile bridge in triple digits weaving in and out of the cars using them as chicanes
Who the hell does this? Are tehy completely insane? Or just ignorant of the obvious danger and...

(guilty of that once or twice).
Oh.... my bad.
But seriously, I have only seen one or two riders EVER do this (or anything this risky) and I try like hell not to ride with them or anywhere that they might be. They can put themselves in danger all they want but I am not going to give them the opportunity to hurt me.

Been the victim of that while in the cage several times, I ride, and it darn near gave me a "brownie" in the old undies.
:crackup
And you are one of the people looking out for bikes! Imagine how it affects the general cage-driving crowd!

WE ARE NOT INNOCENTS IN THE STEREOTYPING..
You will never hear me say that I ahve not done my fair share of stupid things... I know I am not innocent. I just don't think we deserve quite as harsh a rap as we have been given.

If we don't want to be stereotyped then we need to keep the antics out of public view.

Totally, completely, whole-heartedly agree.

Repeat after me "Load Pipes, Lose Rights"

No... repeat after me... "Loud Pipes Save Lives."
I guarantee you the next bike I have will have some loud ass pipes on it. I am going to use all of the senses of the driver in the goddamn SUV that wants to hit me that I can. It will also have strobe lights, reflective tape, and sirens :p

"Remember, just because your not paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you"
Okay, I agree that we should ride like everyone is out to get us
. I DON'T think, however, that this is an acceptable view for the car drivers around us to have. Let me clarify that. If I ever heard a car driver say "Those motorcyclists are taught to drive like we are out to get us. He'll move." I would turn red with rage. We already have the disadvantage in momentum, lets not stack the cards any further shall we?

The problem I ahve with the stereotype is this:
I tell people that i got ina wreck and I get the normal response: "Aww, that sucks. Are you alright? What happened?"
Then, I tell them (in THESE words) that I was driving my motorcycle and an SUV ran a light and HIT ME and I broke my leg and hand. Immediately all sympathy and compassion leave. Because the person I am talking to thinks "you were on a motorcycle, you must have been doing something stupid."

I am tired of this shit, and that is the only reason I spent all this time to speak my mind on the subject. The donation thread is a very good example taht the stereotype is wrong.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Holy shit Drew. :eek i have to go back and re-read some shit to find out where this all got started.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
but i must agree...evryone i tell in montgomery ( those who don't ride) freak the hell out when i tell em i went ridin' because of the bs they put on the news or wildest polise videos of some DA runin a red light high on meth.....i guess:shake they will never get it

·
Registered
536 Posts
I dunno, maybe it's the whole wheelying through the main streets, and doing burnouts and stoppies while Joe Schmo is walking by, nah, that can't be it surely??

Guilty, as charged (and yes I have been charged). I guarantee that when I'm going down the interstate on one wheel that I have more control than the soccer moms who are busy dialing the police to come arrest me. Did I mention that while reporting me to the police they are probably busy putting on make-up, brushing their hair, trying to govern the ten unruly, screaming kids that they spawned, eating a sandwich................

Anyways, stereotypes will always be around no matter what and nobody's gonna stop them. People will stereotype you for you're race, the way you look, the way you dress, for riding a motorcycle.......................the list goes on. So who gives a :shit what people think. We are all guilty of stereotyping something or somebody. Except me of course. Oh, wait a minute. Was I stereotyping women who drive SUV's? Why yes, yes I was. Does this mean that all women who drive SUV's are as I described. No it doesn't. Just my 2 cents.

·
Titanium Inside
4,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The worst distraction I would have to deal with on my bike is seeing someone playing fiddy/fiddy's avatar on their LCD TV screen :crackup

·
Registered
175 Posts
Guilty, as charged (and yes I have been charged). I guarantee that when I'm going down the interstate on one wheel that I have more control than the soccer moms who are busy dialing the police to come arrest me. Did I mention that while reporting me to the police they are probably busy putting on make-up, brushing their hair, trying to govern the ten unruly, screaming kids that they spawned, eating a sandwich................

Ditto

:showtime

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
HUMMM well guilty of some of this and thinking its a good idea to take it out of town is best for play(and you know i like to play). burn outs seem to be the worst,fast long wheelies second,weaving in and out 3rd or something like that. stoppies i think just make them scratch their heads. point is if its aggravating others its a problem. on the loud(load) pipe.drew is right about it alerting half deaf drivers that you are there.however making your pipe screem at 14,000 rpms does fall under the aggravating part.so i dont know....i guess try and avoid any aggravting stuff in a given situation.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you people have way to much time on your hands to BI#CH about other people. You (anyone) probably have enough problems in other more important areas of your lives. deal with them and leave others alone. If people want to do stupid things let them,:mad geez find another hobby

P.S. I know that most of the things that I do are not the smartest things or areas to do them in....... but it sure is funny when we are all sitting around a parking lot that some non-stunter always says " Jason do that one trick" and I will normally do it because I like doing them and I like to push the edge on alot of things in my life. If you do not want to go fast, do stunts or push the limt on your $10,000 motorcycle maybe you should go ride with the Harley Guys. This post is not to any one person, it is to everyone that has something to say about somebody else.

SORRY FOR THE LONG THREAD
JUST MY 2

·
Registered
445 Posts
:crackup hey you no what i think i am guilty of some of the things wrote above but thats probly because im half brain dead anyway the way i see it is the more you atract attention to yourself the less likely you are to get injured by one of those caged freaks as said above just my one cents cause im to broke to give two:D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Argueing on the internet is like running in the special olympics. Even if you win your still retarded.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I'm guility as charged, I don't care if anyone likes it. I like to ride and I'm not out there to hurt anyone. But accidents do happen. Doing some thing stupid or just riding they happen. And if they don't want to ride with me because of the way i ride then so be it I don't fucking care. My bike rides just fine with me. Just my 2.

·
Registered
536 Posts
jab7r said:
I'm guility as charged, I don't care if anyone likes it. I like to ride and I'm not out there to hurt anyone. But accidents do happen. Doing some thing stupid or just riding they happen. And if they don't want to ride with me because of the way i ride then so be it I don't fucking care. My bike rides just fine with me. Just my 2.
Rock on

+1 :jammin :wailin :band :wheelie

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
jab7r said:
get it girl!:crackup :clap

·
Registered
466 Posts
If anyone hasnt noticed yet sport bike sales this year are through the roof! Mainly due to movies(biker boys, Torque,etc.) and Mvideos!....So what am i getting at...simple ...most of these people buying Are very very young inexperienced riders! All they see is OH HOW FUN! HEY I DID A WHEELIE IM THE KING! BA DUH!!!!! So to me most of the stereotype fuel comes from this! Im not saying Im not guilty of doing some stuff but I have more respect for my bike then most of them! I know a couple who think they are stunt kings and Matt MLaddinS! Thats just some info and my two cents!:wheelie :redflip

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
:laughing This "SHIT" again :p

The way I see it is: Ride as many wheelies as you can, run them off the road before they get you and just smile and say

"Did I do that " ?

P.S. Get over it Eirkle!! :rant

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Balistik6 said:
I know a couple who think they are stunt kings and Matt MLaddinS!
stunt king???? not around here..mat mladdins........havent seen one.........BUT IM WORKING ON IT:crackup :crackup :crackup

·
Registered
865 Posts
oldwheelieguy said:
stunt king???? not around here..mat mladdins........havent seen one.........BUT IM WORKING ON IT:crackup :crackup :crackup
From what I ve seen on this site Bill you seem to have a pretty loyal following...;) When my bike gets put back together I ll give you a call and see if you want to head out some time.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts