Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Traded the boy's '04 CRF50 for a '99 LT80+$200. Guy came out around 5 friday evening. Raining, foggy, cold, windy, and dark. Couldn't get either kid off their new bikes. Got to the point that you couldn't even see them, you'd just every now and then hear an engine zing past. Forgot how much fun a little two stroke can be. For those new to the LT80 like myself, it's a 2-stroke forced air cooled single with a CVT autoclutch, electric start. Fun little bugger. It's cosmetically challenged (hence the $200 for new rear plastics) and is going to take another $40 worth of new clutch bits to bring it up to snuff (the stock tranny is a centrifugal deal with a front and rear clutch separated by the drive belt; the front one is supposed to be lubricated but never is leading to wear. Expected in a bike this age, and cheap to fix)
The important thing is that for much of yesterday, the boy and I were out riding in the yard together. Quite the pair, his bike goes ~20-30mph tops, mine does that in first gear. Kinda hard to keep from either running him down or tearing up the yard. Lots of fun, and anyone with kids that wants to get them on a motorized vehicle is welcome to come try them on it.
The manual is a hoot, I spent an hour last night just reading all the warnings about things that are hazardous. Some of the gems are opening the throttle too fast, turning, using the brakes, wheelying, jumping, or racing, starting it, fueling it, and riding it on uneven terrain. Oh yeah, nobody under 12 is supposed to ride a 4wheeler more than 70cc. Man, they do everything but tell you to take it back for a refund and buy a nice hypoallergenic pillow to hug instead. The boy's 7 and he's already in the middle of the size range of what would be appropriate for this bike. Maybe I should find someone to trade my XR650 for a 4wheeler......
whodat
Edit: Oh yeah, he hasn't had to lay 'er down just yet, but it did spit him off the side once in a hard turn and he buried it about 6' deep in the neighbor's olive tree and thistle thicket.

·
Putz
278 Posts
Sweet. Even it it's not a bike, at least he's out there and having a good time. Besides, eventually he'll want to be like dad, and take to 2 wheels. Just give him time.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
whodatzj said:
Maybe I should find someone to trade my XR650 for a 4wheeler.......
I have a quad that just sits around. :D

hopefully I will have the 90cc Raptor working this weekend so Dono can ride it. You should bring your boy down so they can ride together. I have a pretty good trail around the house for quads.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Scot said:
you can hear them over the seat?
:eek :crackup :crackup

Scot you are Evil tonite

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Re: Re: Lt80

GoGo Gadget said:
I have a quad that just sits around. :D

Hey, make it the ex3 and the broken raptor and you gotta deal.
whodat
Edit: Oh yeah, I'll even throw in a big tv. :D

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
Donovan would never forgive me if I gave it away. He has to much fun on it. He will ride all day switching between the KTM and the Raptor.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
A 1997 Jeep TJ with 138,000 miles.

A Suzuki JR50

Someones Ninja 500 they left in my garage.

A German Mauser, Ruger GP100.

A 486mhz computer to use for target practice.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Exactly. The bumpers are probably all smashed up and the parking brake is worn out from being left on. :redflip

·
Moderator,
11,006 Posts
whodatzj said:
Exactly. The bumpers are probably all smashed up and the parking brake is worn out from being left on. :redflip
:lmao Actually, that'd be Rod (E-brake) from NY. :nanana

Honestly, the heep hasn't moved out of the driveway in 2-3 months. It's only been started 2-3 times in that period. We keep telling Dylan it's going to be his in 3 yrs. :evilgrin

1 - 20 of 33 Posts