Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
Joined
·
14,142 Posts
qkenuf4u said:
i used this on my ZRX1100 when i first bought it and my factory swing arm marks where a 1/4" off. so i know it works. it def. helped the bikes handling (there was really nothing wrong to start with but i gave this a shot cause i had flipped my eccentrics on the rear axle)

:toothy

http://women.motorcycle.com/mo/mcnuts/chassis.html
Breathe slowly and say, Punctuation.

:redflip :D :redflip
 

·
King of something
Joined
·
4,583 Posts
I thought that was a crappy page of info. How does one ensure the front wheel is straight. Slightly left or right and that will change the distance of the string from the rear tire.
Also my stands pick my bike up slightly crooked. Thus a plum bob to check the rear wheel is bogus. I doubt any stand picks any bike up even enough to use a plum bob. And most floors and concrete pads are ALSO not level. His backyard way is not accurate enough for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SD72GSXR said:
I thought that was a crappy page of info. How does one ensure the front wheel is straight. Slightly left or right and that will change the distance of the string from the rear tire.
Also my stands pick my bike up slightly crooked. Thus a plum bob to check the rear wheel is bogus. I doubt any stand picks any bike up even enough to use a plum bob. And most floors and concrete pads are ALSO not level. His backyard way is not accurate enough for me.
hmmmmm , maybe cause ya get it evan with the rear wheel by using a "tape measure" and then you check the front by using a "tape measure" and move the wheel left or right as needed. :rolleyes

as for the floor being odd etc... its not hard to get the bike level. just use the gray matter between your ears a little bit. (other than for busting someones chops about something you havent tried)

like i said, i used it and it WORKED PERFECTLY. i didnt do the plum bob on the front tire but i used the string method for aligning the tires and IT WORKED PERFECTLY. :rolleyes :shake :redflip
 

·
King of something
Joined
·
4,583 Posts
qkenuf4u said:
hmmmmm , maybe cause ya get it evan with the rear wheel by using a "tape measure" and then you check the front by using a "tape measure" and move the wheel left or right as needed. :rolleyes

as for the floor being odd etc... its not hard to get the bike level. just use the gray matter between your ears a little bit. (other than for busting someones chops about something you havent tried)

like i said, i used it and it WORKED PERFECTLY. i didnt do the plum bob on the front tire but i used the string method for aligning the tires and IT WORKED PERFECTLY. :rolleyes :shake :redflip
It just seems easier to me to measure from the swingarm bolt. :confused Oh well, it's not rocket science. :laughing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,940 Posts
Interesting article, but personally it sounds like too much work. :toothy

I thought I remembered Kawi selling a tool specifically for wheel alignment (reasonably priced, too), but now I can't find it! :confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,619 Posts
Ok...the only thing you can adjust is the rear toe setting, which Does Not Affect Handling. If the rear wheel is moved say to the right, your front wheel will just move to the right to ride straight. Am I not right?

And why aren't the marks on the frame accurate enough? You didn't notice any difference cause it didn't make any difference.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
101Lifts2 said:
Ok...the only thing you can adjust is the rear toe setting, which Does Not Affect Handling. If the rear wheel is moved say to the right, your front wheel will just move to the right to ride straight. Am I not right?

And why aren't the marks on the frame accurate enough? You didn't notice any difference cause it didn't make any difference.
if you rear wheel is not aligned with your front wheel then i guess you could call it "crabbing" (like the monster trucks do) and that will def. throw you handling off.i could turn one way easier than the other. i know mine where a 1/4" off and once fixed made a BIG difference on how the bike handled.
the factory marks are closer on some bikes than others. the reason i evan checked mine was cause i had flipped my eccentrics on the rear axle and lost the ability to make sure one side corresponded with the other. ya have to remember that all this stuff is welded together with jigs etc.. and they wear out/get sloppy. so there are screw ups with this setup.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top