Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally broke down and ordered the Matris M3 damper to tame the beast within on my ride. One near tankslapper too many is all it took to place the order. I'll give you guys an update later this week when I get it on.:D

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
Nice mod! That's all it took for me to get one on my R1 as well....I never had a true tank-slapper, but bad headshake.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Why did you guys go with that brand instead of Scotts? just wondering:confused

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Snowman said:
For me it was word of mouth from guys on the internet and the final blow for my decision was a guy that works at my local Honda shop uses one on his race bike and swears by it!:D Quality is said to be very high!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
rrguy said:
For me it was word of mouth from guys on the internet and the final blow for my decision was a guy that works at my local Honda shop uses one on his race bike and swears by it!:D Quality is said to be very high!
I ask because I have heard a lot of good things about them. I run a Scotts on the RC and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I HAD a matris M4. It worked great right up till that crash and it bent:rolleyes:
Just make sure when you install it that, the handlebars can move ALL the way from side to side w/out stress on the damper. Oh yeah, mine was mounted in stock location on a GSXR so this may or may not apply to you.
Cheers!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't tried other steering dampers. I only heard good things about the Mantris. It's easy to install & I like its fit & finish. Also it does its job.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
Snowman said:
Here are some of my thoughts:

I’ve had 3 Scotts dampers, mounted to an R6, R1, and F4 trackbike, plus one was on the SV650 that I used to race. They work great, are highly adjustable, easy to adjust on the fly (low speed damping only), and in a crash resistant location. OTOH, the pin is highly susceptible to rust, which looks like crap IMO. After crashing my F4 @ TWS following a high speed offtrack excursion, I became a bit more leery of their mounting system. I got such a vicious tankslapper that the damper loosened the head nut, and the set screws ate it up a bit. Would it have prevented my crash had this not happened? Prob. not, but perhaps I could have ridden it out to a lower speed to lessen the severity.

W/ my RC’s first trackday coming up and all my newfound power, I decided a damper wouldn’t be a bad idea. I considered the Scotts, but was less enthusiastic about it than I’ve been previously. After doing some research, I bought the Ohlins w/ a Harris mounting kit. Only $430 from EMA USA, and that includes a new fairing stay bracket. I only installed it last night, so w/o a mild night ride I can only say that it looks bitchin’, works smoothly, is easy to adjust on the fly, mounting is more solid than Scotts, and workmanship (both the damper and mounting kit) is top notch. Def. worth the small premium over Scotts to me!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My damper came in today and is on the bike now!:thumb I rode it to work and all I can say is wow!!! This is a new bike now!:cool
The thing is rock steady when on the throttle coming out of a corner now.:D :D I feel like I can see what this bike has to offer now as it is much more stable now. I'll have pics up tonight after I get off of work.:cool :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts