Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MacGiver on the Kawi 600r..

So yeah we went on our RRRRIIIIIIIIIIIDEEEEE sunday....

long story sort.. we left out about 10am....i have no idea where the hell we were, but the back roads we're insane....had a great time breaking in my tires and checking if my rev limit'r would really work in 6th gear..;)

around 5pm we're on the side of the road about to head home after a break for a cig...Derrick in front of me starts pulling out and i stop'd him..his back tire was flat.:mad

ok, god knows how far we're from Austin, no phone signal on any of our cells, and no chase truck.....getting cold, getting dark.
its gonna be a long night....:(

what would you do?

well lucky we had THAD on this ride....who as of last night has become our hero......

THAD says "dude, no biggy, i have tire plugs"...freaking awsome THAD you're the man! so rear tire plugged...now we just need to hit the nearest gas station and get air!..:clap

wait, thats like 30 miles away......that way...........i think.:confused

THAD says " dude no biggy, i have an air compressor."

:eek

THAD pulls out this little black box out of the trunk where he had the plugs (this is an 04 Kawi 600 R, so you know thats a small space) it's a home made, electric air pump!!!! hooks the leads to his battery, we air up Derricks rear tire, it holds, and we're on our way home!

sooooo props to THAD!
dude works at Woods in the service dept, and will now be known as MacGiver! :crackup

saved us from a long night.

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
Good job Thad :clap

...but if he really was MacGyver he would have been able to do it with a piece of chewing gum, paperclip and hair spray ;) :laughing

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
Moral to the story? Carry a tire-repair kit. :D Most of them come with a couple of canisters of compressed air which is usually enough to get you to a gas station.

And :thumb to MacGyver ! :laughing :D

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I always carry a tire repair kit. It has plugs, reamer, t-handle thingy and 6 CO2 carts. I got it at Cyclegear.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bung said:
I always carry a tire repair kit. It has plugs, reamer, t-handle thingy and 6 CO2 carts. I got it at Cyclegear.
not really the same thing.....he "made" a battery power air pump.:redflip

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
YamaHamer-AL said:
not really the same thing.....he "made" a battery power air pump.:redflip
There are actually a few that are recommended for this task. Basically, get a small pump that is made to work off 12VDC, take it out of the plastic housing, and make an electrical connection for your bike...

Oh.. and always carry a tire repair kit... :redflip I always have at LEAST some plugs, CO2 cartriges, duct tape, multi-tool, wrenches and emergency water.

·
Forum Leader,
17,387 Posts
a lead for a battery tender plus would work in that situation - cut off cig-ligher part and crip (solder) away - then you could plug it in like your battery tender, and even have a fuse! - that's too right, so maybe no fuse lol

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reyndogg said:
a lead for a battery tender plus would work in that situation - cut off cig-ligher part and crip (solder) away - then you could plug it in like your battery tender, and even have a fuse! - that's too right, so maybe no fuse lol
ok then.....make me one. :D

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reyndogg said:
you buy all the parts, beer, and bring strippers (i dont mean wire strippers :nono) i'll hook it up for ya :woowoo
sounds like a plan...you give me a parts list, and i'll hook up the rest, but can you work with boobies smacking you in the face?
:crackup

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Reyndogg said:
well of course i can dude, but the job could take hours, you know, cause i'd be taking my time :D
yeah i see where you'd need to take your time in those conditions...i'll stock up on some Fat Tire...:clap

1 - 17 of 17 Posts