Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 Kawi 6r, and I am ordering some new tires in the next day or so and have been wanting some PIlot powers, but I was recently informed that they want to slide when they hit the yellow line and other painted lines in the road. Has anyone else heard this? I havent been riding long, and am wanting a good sticky tire, so some one told me the diablos were better and wouldnt slip oin the lines. Which ones would be better, and or will the Pilot powers not slip?

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
ntegrals said:
I have a 2001 Kawi 6r, and I am ordering some new tires in the next day or so and have been wanting some PIlot powers, but I was recently informed that they want to slide when they hit the yellow line and other painted lines in the road. Has anyone else heard this? I havent been riding long, and am wanting a good sticky tire, so some one told me the diablos were better and wouldnt slip oin the lines. Which ones would be better, and or will the Pilot powers not slip?
Any tire will slide when hitting the yellow lines at any kind of speed or lean angle. The person that told you the Diablos won't is not your friend and may in fact be trying to make you crash.

The Pilots are the best street tires I've ever used. (trust me...I've tried plenty:D )

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
I have heard lots of good things about the pilot powers, I use Diablo corsas on the track along with some street riding and like them very much. I think either one is a good choice and they will all slide on the yellow line.

Tom

·
Track whore
551 Posts
Re: Re: Michelin Pilot Powers or Pirelli Diablos?

Riceaholic said:
Any tire will slide when hitting the yellow lines at any kind of speed or lean angle. The person that told you the Diablos won't is not your friend and may in fact be trying to make you crash.

The Pilots are the best street tires I've ever used. (trust me...I've tried plenty:D )
Have you tried the Diablo? I mean really beat the shit out of it? I had 5 hard track days on one set and 800 street miles (maybe my suspension was set right? don't know but impressive) . At that point they started to give and show problems traction wise. I now run the Corsa. No issues at all. For the street the Diablo is going to be hard to beat. Should last you a long, long time. They all slip on painted lines :confused whom ever told you that has not been riding long either.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I just got rid of my Pilot Powers a few months ago. Overall, it was a damn good tire, i used them for a few track days getting max lean out of them, while getting a few thousand miles out of them-good tire. I now have the Diablo Supercorsas and they are even better, cost more and dont last as long, but much more grip (duh, its a softer tire). I think the next tires will be Dunlop Qualifiers, i think they are called the D209's. They all slip on the line.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I've used a few sets of diablos before. It's a great tire, but I can tell you from experience that they WILL slip when you hit a line leaned over:rant (see attached) As already stated, every tire will slip a bit when you hit the paint (ESPECIALLY if the line has some moisture on it), the effect it will have, will pretty much depend on how leaned over you are. Every thing I've read/heard about the powers says they're a fantastic tire and they'll be my set for this year on the motard.

My advice to you would be...Pick up the set you can get for cheaper (between these) b/c you can't go wrong with either of them...and watch out for the lines when you're in a curve. :thumb

Attachments

·
One Of God's Own Prototypes
8,300 Posts
I have never used any Pirellis other than race tires, and those worked phenomenally on the street. I've used the Pilot Powers and have had great success. Jamie James uses them on his personal bikes and the R1s he builds and, probably fastest rider (other than Jamie) I've ever met runs them as well.

·
Registered
7,102 Posts
You should not ride hard enough on the street to slip on the lines anyway. I use Diablo corsa's on my 750 track bike. I like them a lot. I have had a few rear slides but I think that was me giving it to much out of the turn. I use Dunslops 208's on my TLR for the street. But I do not ride hard on the street at all.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Powers slide soooo well and predicably. They'll stick out, with a bunch of feed back and roll right back underneath you again. It's like magic.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I preferred the powers,BUT my next tire is the qualifiers...plus they are cheap.

I've heard several testers and riders say the new qaulifier is hands down the best street/track tire the've ever ridden.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Have not tried the michs, but on the street i think any sport tire from dunlop, pirelli, Michelin offer more than what anybody could use. Any "grip" problems are either due to cold tires/surface; bad surface grip; poor suspension setup/worn or hamfisted rider.

It should be noted the few around here could pull the lap times by mag testers* on stock/sport tires while riding their track/racebike on racing slicks.

*and by SOME testers, most likely none.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
ntegrals said:
... but I was recently informed that they want to slide when they hit the yellow line...
You aren't supposed to be running over those lines, that's why they're there. :redflip

I prefer the powers. They last a little longer than tires that offer similar grip and feedback.

If you have chicken strips at all keep reading...

If it's your ego talking, buy which ever is more expensive.

If it's your wallet talking, buy sport touring tires. You don't need more grip b/c you aren't using it and the S/T tires will last you twice as long.

·
Registered
23,150 Posts

Buster said:

If it's your ego talking, buy which ever is more expensive.

If it's your wallet talking, buy sport touring tires. You don't need more grip b/c you aren't using it and the S/T tires will last you twice as long.
+1, got some roads going on the SV (and VFR as well) this weekend, trackday next mos.........;)

·
my dirt bike has slicks
7,323 Posts
If you do trackdays, the Powers are great; if not, definitely go with the Diablos. The Diablo Ts use the Supercorsa carcass instead of the standard Diablo one for a little less weight and wear better when ridden very hard from my experience. Diablos are street tires and Pilot Powers are trackday tires, they're not strictly comparable.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
you are new, anything that is round, black, and fits your rims will be more than good enough(for you and 90% of the people that ride).

Stay off the lines, if your tires are on the lines in a corner, that means your bike and body are in the other lane, recepie for disater dude.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I was wandering why the hell he would tell me that the powers slipped and others didnt. Any tire will slip on a painted surface over blacktop. Well it looks like I am going to go for the ones I originally had my heart set on, the Pilot Powers:D . Thanks again

·
Registered
3,204 Posts

Riceaholic said:

To clarify, I was talking about the Pilot street tires. I have done trackdays on the Pilot Powers and they worked very well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Bridgestone BT014's or 015's. I have Pilot powers on my ZX10 now, and I liked my BT 014's quite a bit better. In typical Michelin style, these things will not stick until they're warm. The BT's stick all the time, it doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts