Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

minor home issue, what to do?

2K views 47 replies 22 participants last post by  david wise 
#1 ·
so today i'm replacing the filter and this is what i see.

which causes this

think i need to worry about that? don't think the beam is a major stucture, thinking about cutting some of it out to get better air flow?

See less See more
#2 ·
Someone get a shot of Ceiling cat poking out of there STAT!

#3 ·
That beam is a ceiling joist. It supports the floor above it.

Hard to tell from the picture, but if the joist is supported by the wall on the left of the picture, you could cut it off there and also cut it off on the right side, leaving about two inches left showing through the vent opening.

Once that is done, you should install a new piece the same dimension as what you cut (looks like a 2x6) at a 90 degree angle to the joist, so that it attaches to the joists on either side, and to the joist you cut.

It will be tight to swing a hammer in there, so if you know somebody who's stupid enough to lend you a loaded nail gun, it will be much easier to do.

JC

#5 ·
Oh, by the way, the correct tool for cutting that joist would be a Sawzall.

The Sawzall, however, is a dangerous power tool in the hands of a novice, so I don't recommend using one without first obtaining the proper training from the Power Tool Safety Foundation.

In the meantime, you could begin with a butter knife.

Remember: Start small! :nanana

JC

#6 ·
Just leave it alone, I'm sure that is not the only duct in the house. Your only gaining 3 inches by moving the joist.

Isn't there a filter in the furance? I've never seen one in the duct like that...looks ghetto.

And for God sakes stick your hand with a wet cloth and wipe out that duct ..looks nasty.

#9 ·
askmrjesus said:

The Sawzall, however, is a dangerous power tool in the hands of a novice, so I don't recommend using one without first obtaining the proper training from the Power Tool Safety Foundation.

JC
mmmmm. sawzall. my favorite tool.

i also agree that the whole thing looks sketchy. i don't think sawing off your joist is going to give you that much greater airflow. also, is that an inlet or an outlet?

#10 ·
101Lifts2 said:
Just leave it alone, I'm sure that is not the only duct in the house. Your only gaining 3 inches by moving the joist.

Isn't there a filter in the furance? I've never seen one in the duct like that...looks ghetto.

And for God sakes stick your hand with a wet cloth and wipe out that duct ..looks nasty.
That's the intake duct that supplies air to the furnace. It's actually fairly common for the filter to be there.

Leaving the joist in the way restricts the airflow, and lessens the effectiveness of the filter.

This is why GM should not build houses.

JC

#13 ·
askmrjesus said:
That's the intake duct that supplies air to the furnace. It's actually fairly common for the filter to be there.

Leaving the joist in the way restricts the airflow, and lessens the effectiveness of the filter.

This is why GM should not build houses.

JC
right, GM that "nasty" stuff is mastic it's to seal the airbox so that air is drawn in only from thru filter.

have you ever changed an air filter?

#14 ·
how about drilling some "big" holes thru the joist to "even" out the airflow or at least get some suction thru the other side. ala swiss cheese style.

#15 ·
RACER X said:
how about drilling some "big" holes thru the joist to "even" out the airflow or at least get some suction thru the other side. ala swiss cheese style.
That's not a bad idea. It's not optimal, but it would help.

The only downside is that you're likely to run into the nails that are driven through the plywood above.

JC

#18 ·
karl_996 said:
Is that in the new house?

I really doubt the wood will have an effect on the airflow.
It is way too low of a pressure to have the wood affect it.
yeah, new house, look at the filter only 1/2 of it is dirty, therefore the A/C unit is working 2x as hard to get the same amount of air. instead of a 20x30 filter it;s theoretically a 10x30.

#20 ·
ok, i see what your thinking, i was told on another M/C board by a custom home builder to drill only near the center of th joist. the upper and lower parts are weight bearing areas whereas the center has the least amount of weight.

#21 ·
RACER X said:
ok, i see what your thinking, i was told on another M/C board by a custom home builder to drill only near the center of th joist. the upper and lower parts are weight bearing areas whereas the center has the least amount of weight.
That makes sense to me.

JC

#23 ·
101Lifts2 said:

Slow down. Z might like an extra 3".

James

#24 ·
askmrjesus said:

JC

:lmao

#25 ·
ducati_atx said:
hows about calling the builder to fix that. Pretty crap construction if you ask me...

Should have caught that during your inspection. Wonder how it passed city with that setup. Yeesh.
+1

That's an HVAC guy who doesn't know his job. He should have put in two intake ducts....one on each side of the support beam if he couldn't find a better place to install the A/C return, and I'm not anything close to an HVAC expert.

As dirty as your filters look, I'd consider having someone who cleans and sterilizes HVAC systems take a look. I'd not expect a problem in a new house, but if that was an existing home, God knows whats in the ductwork.

A proper cleaning can cost $$$, but afterwards, if you use allergen-level filtration on the return, you shouldn't need to repeat it for several years, and it makes a difference if you suffer from allergies.

#26 ·
First of all, That filter doesnt look dirty at all. Dont waste your money on cleaning ducts that dont need it...

Now, Having a filter grill is very common and usually makes it easier for the home owner to replace the filter without going into the furnace.

What should have been done with that is the beam running through the filter needs to be cut and the filter grill framed out. This way air flow isnt hurt and structural integrity is maintianed.

Oh yeah, I'm an HVAC tech...;)

#48 ·
First of all, That filter doesnt look dirty at all. Dont waste your money on cleaning ducts that dont need it...

Now, Having a filter grill is very common and usually makes it easier for the home owner to replace the filter without going into the furnace.

What should have been done with that is the beam running through the filter needs to be cut and the filter grill framed out. This way air flow isnt hurt and structural integrity is maintianed.

Oh yeah, I'm an HVAC tech...;)
Yeah you are right is really good

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.