Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok vince,i know you have probably been asked this tooooo many times,but i can't find it in the old post. i need to raise my rr's hp from 8.5 to around 10 to stay somewhat competitive in our new pb rules structure. we don't have enough pb participation to have seperate classes. so now we all run together. from cags to 50cc open whatever. i am only 117 lbs and i think i will be in the hunt with just a little more hp. i haven't seen an open bike show up yet,but this year we are racing at starke fla. for 3 of our races. i am not happy with the idea of driving for 9 hours one way to be lap traffic. any advice is appreciated......russell sr.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My $.02

If your rr is fitted with a bizeta style race pipe ,then your bike is in the 8.5 - 10hp (factory claimed) range.It is primarily going to come down to rider skill,if the the bike is 100% mechanically.

I would say go through you engine and check everything,reassemble checking all clearences and fits.Set you squish in the .5mm area and you should be fine with 7/70 gearing at Stark.

At Stark you will be running with other superproduction/production bikes and then opens if you choose to run that class also.

Tom

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
first....thanks for the reply. my rr is box stock. i havent done anything but clutch shoes and tires,also stock replacement. i race with edgewise racing society,and our rules are different from anyone else. the starke races(from what i understand)will run edgewise rules. this means i will be racing 50cc open bikes with my little rr. it simply goes against my grain to be a field filler. with that in mind i am looking for a couple more hp to at least be in the race,and not a rolling apex. i am looking forward to racing with skilled pb riders,but it won't be much fun if i can only watch them go by. as far as the pipe......i don't know what it is. the owners manual says it is a race pipe,but nothing specific about who made it or which race pipe it is. i also have no complaints about the rr, it runs and handles very well. i guess i am just a little uneasy about the unknown.

·
grumpy old man
362 Posts
russell said:
first....thanks for the reply. my rr is box stock. i havent done anything but clutch shoes and tires,also stock replacement. i race with edgewise racing society,and our rules are different from anyone else. the starke races(from what i understand)will run edgewise rules. this means i will be racing 50cc open bikes with my little rr. it simply goes against my grain to be a field filler. with that in mind i am looking for a couple more hp to at least be in the race,and not a rolling apex. i am looking forward to racing with skilled pb riders,but it won't be much fun if i can only watch them go by. as far as the pipe......i don't know what it is. the owners manual says it is a race pipe,but nothing specific about who made it or which race pipe it is. i also have no complaints about the rr, it runs and handles very well. i guess i am just a little uneasy about the unknown.
well thats easy then ............. 50cc cylinder(your choice) a stuffed crank and a bigger carb (id say 18mm to start ) ....other than a fresh set of depends for every heat you should be on your way to winning or hurting yourself...................j

·
Registered
529 Posts
russell said:
Hmm,When are the dates for these races?We run with SEPRA and go to starke often.If your club is gonna make you run with the opens,I woulod do as John said.

Tom

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well that is the problem. would you go to that expense for three of twelve races? to be honest,i dont know if i will be able to make all three races at starke. while i have no problem spending money on racing,my wife has a much different view. like i said,this is an 18 hour round trip that is very hard to justify with the wife. i am simply looking for some improvement in performance that will not end in a lawyers office.

·
grumpy old man
362 Posts
russell said:
well that is the problem. would you go to that expense for three of twelve races? to be honest,i dont know if i will be able to make all three races at starke. while i have no problem spending money on racing,my wife has a much different view. like i said,this is an 18 hour round trip that is very hard to justify with the wife. i am simply looking for some improvement in performance that will not end in a lawyers office.
racing and divorces are both expensive for the same reason.......... they are worth it............j

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
(72) said:
racing and divorces are both expensive for the same reason.......... they are worth it............j
:crackup

·
grumpy old man
362 Posts
a 16mm sha carb will give ya a little more on the top end . one should be had for under 80 bucks . now it wont keep the open bikes from walking past you but they might not walk by as fast. i think some west coast guys played around with them alittle bit, so they would be the ones to ask to get the full skinny . thats about the cheapest thing i can think of . maybe you could post in the classifiedes section asking if anyone has a 50cc cylinder they will sell you cheap..................j

1 - 10 of 10 Posts