1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From www.roadracingworld.com

"10/8/2002
Doohan Hired To Expedite MotoGP Bid At Watkins Glen

Copyright 2002, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

International Speedway Corporation (ISC) hired five-time 500cc World Champion Mick Doohan to inspect Watkins Glen International Raceway and suggest how the track would have to be changed to qualify for a MotoGP event.

Doohan inspected the track September 26 with track officials--including Watkins Glen President Craig Rust--and discussed what changes he felt would have to be made to make the track suitable for MotoGP homologation.

Reliable sources said the track has had an engineering firm look at moving back guardrails and dirt embankments.

Problem areas include turn two, the esses and the final two turns.

The track and the surrounding area can accomodate large numbers of spectators; it attracts nearly 200,000 people for NASCAR events. "

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
That would be cool to have a MotoGP round in the states. Even better to have it close enough to home that I could afford to go :D

I'm sure that they are looking at a 2004-5 season. Would they add a round, or would somebody else lose their race. I can't imagine that would happen. :confused

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Road America ? Road America SUCKS :D

the track is totally unsafe for GP races....understand that GP racing is real racing and not the girly AMA crap posing as racing
----
Watkins Glen ?

only if they will allow fireworks and smoke bombs in the crowd. otherwise it won't be a real GP race :redflip

·
yes it is
131 Posts
Watkin's Glen??

That would rock. It's within a one days riding distance for me.

I'm not sure what kind of crowd they would get though. I just got back from a one week vacation up around the Finger Lakes and I saw several Harley dealers, and lots of cruisers on the roads, but only two sport bikes. One TLS right in Watkin's Glen, and one F4i in Corning. It's definetly a more NASCARP type of area.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
vizsladog44 said:
The same wtkins glen that the asscars race at?Man that place looks WAY dangerous...
Well, I guess if they are willing to change the track to make it safer, they will have a shot. However, I don't know that they would get the crowds they need. Rednecks don't like sportbikes. :shake

We can still hope though :twofinger

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
The Glen is way behind the times. The tracks with the best chances to get FIM approval are:
The Skip Barbar track in AL(because it's being built with them in mind) and Indy(it already has the F1 race). Of the 2, I'd like to see the Barbar track get it. Indy is cool and all, but it's still inside an oval. I'd rather international racers see a real road course here in the states.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
SprintST said:
I'd rather international racers see a real road course here in the states.
I didn't know that we did "real road courses" here :confused

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
LeanAngle said:
I didn't know that we did "real road courses" here :confused
OK, to clarify, not "real road course" like the Isle of Mann, but a road course as in not a track inside an oval. Something with some elevation changes and such.

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Oh well, that makes more sense :p :laughing

It would be nice to see road racing become more popular here. The US overlooks some very exciting sports because we are a football, basketball, baseball country. Oh yeah, and we race stock cars :shake

We overlook soccer, cycling, road racing, rally racing, F1. It's frustrating to have such a close minded society sometimes. I have to say that things are starting to get a little better.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
edzo said:
Road America ? Road America SUCKS :D

the track is totally unsafe for GP races....understand that GP racing is real racing and not the girly AMA crap posing as racing
----
Watkins Glen ?

only if they will allow fireworks and smoke bombs in the crowd. otherwise it won't be a real GP race :redflip
I watch watching a bike show on speed and they said the closet track to emulate a GP style track is road america, due to the physical size of the track. Over 4kms long and wide enough to support a GP race. they would have to repave the entire track and redo the paddock, but it would be aswome to see those V5s barrelling down the back straight through the woods(like at Hochenhiem) at 200mph to Canada Corner.

well Watkins Glen is only about 5 hours from here.:thumb

·
Premium Member
10,229 Posts
thanos said:
How about Laguna Seca? There is already a WSB event there. How do GP track requirements differ from WSB and AMA Superbike?
The Mazda Raceway Park(or whatever they are calling themselves) has mandated only like 3 motor events a year there, due to the surrounding housing projects complaining about the noise(go figure, noise at a race track, duh!). So the track owners chose the events to host. One is the CART race, a big money maker. One historic race, I believe the board really likes this event, and finally they had to combine the AMA and WSB weekends or chose between the series. I believe Laguna Seca was on it's last year of FIM homologation this year, I don't know if they have been re-upped yet.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
laguna was used previously for GP racing as recently as the early 90s.
I did not know about that 3 event rule.:confused
that track has been there forever, I guess California does not believe in capitalism:rolleyes. Most racing is done during the day, so tell the people who live close to close their windows and turn up the central air.:mad

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it would draw plenty of people. How many people just on this board live within a days drive? I for one would have a group of at least 15 bikes heading down there. Not to mention the cagers that would follow with the coolers!:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think there is a good chance it will be in Indy. They already host an F1 race, and I've seen quotes from Tony George stating that he really wants a world class motorcycle race at the track.

Of course, I also live 15 minutes from IMS so running it there wouldn't upset me too much. :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts