Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it'd be a good idea to get all the different riding-related lingo together in one place for us n00bs. Or is there something out there already like that? If there is, post it. If not, please share whatever lingo you know. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
:squid :wheelie

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
A "squid" is basically someone who rides around doing stunts & stuff w/no regards for anyone around them. A "poser" is someone who spends more money making their bike look pretty than actually getting out and riding it. There's a bunch more but I just can't think right now, it's still early :shrug

·
Registered
45 Posts
Asshole = The guy that passes you on the inside at a trackday where only passing on the outside is permitted. :laughing

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
What about "wad" what does that mean other then the sock stuffed in Yamerhaw's pants?

TLM :redflip

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
TastesLikeMSG said:
What about "wad" what does that mean other then the sock stuffed in Yamerhaw's pants?

TLM :redflip
:clap :laughing :laughing :laughing :shake :p

·
Have you seen Pauldun's frakking awesome post?
9,765 Posts
Here's a few I've gleaned from surfing the threads a little. I may have taken them out of context so someone correct me if I'm stupid:

up on one: performing a wheelie or stoppie
stoppie: kinda like a wheelie but with the front wheel vice back
2up: riding with a passenger
STFU: shut the fook up (not a riding term per se, but it seems to be used by lots of bikers...)
gixxer: Suzuki GSX-R (600, 750, 1000)
'busa: Suzuki GSX-R 1300 Hayabusa
Zook: any Suzuki
Kawi: Kawasaki
Yamaha: Yamaha
Columbian: preferred coffee of Cycle Forums

There's also terms for dropping your bike, I think high end and low end are two but I may remember that wrong. I saw a weird word for cops that I can't remember 'cause it was weird.

Alright! A few more posts and I'll be ready to actually ride!

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
12 o'clock- a wheelie whereby the bike is nearly perpendicular to the road surface.
12 o'clock bar- a metal bar bolted or otherwise attached to the tailsection of a motorcycle to prevent damage to the rear or loss of control.
Endo-stoppie
Bling-a shiny metallic motorcycle component that serves no functional purpose

·
9,765 Posts
As I suspected, I was wrong (I've never been wrong before. I thought I was once, but I was mistaken...)

high-SIDE: I think that's when you go arse up over handlebars and plant face first (again, could be mistaken)
low-SIDE: dropping the bike in a backwardsish direction

and one I'm absolutely sure of...
cager: driver of a four-wheeled vehicle

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Am I ready for track day yet?:laughing

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hate to disappoint you, fatbuckRTO, but you're al little off back to back. Google is your friend. ;)

From: http://pub127.ezboard.com/fhondasportbikenetworkfrm37.showMessage?topicID=5.topic

Highside: When the bike lauches you over the 'high' side of the bike. Normally caused by loss of traction at the rear wheel or a tankslapper. [I personally add a regain of traction to cause the highside]

Lowside: When the bike falls out from underneath you. Normally caused by loss of traction at the front wheel, but also by loss of traction at the rear wheel. This is the most common type of motorcycle wreck, and usually happens in corners.

·
9,765 Posts
hayabusafiend said:
Hate to disappoint you, fatbuckRTO, but you're al little off back to back. Google is your friend. ;)

From: http://pub127.ezboard.com/fhondasportbikenetworkfrm37.showMessage?topicID=5.topic

Highside: When the bike lauches you over the 'high' side of the bike. Normally caused by loss of traction at the rear wheel or a tankslapper. [I personally add a regain of traction to cause the highside]

Lowside: When the bike falls out from underneath you. Normally caused by loss of traction at the front wheel, but also by loss of traction at the rear wheel. This is the most common type of motorcycle wreck, and usually happens in corners.
Thought that's what I said? Just a little more dyslexicish?:laughing

No, thanks for the correction. BTW, most of my fiends call me just fat buck or just fat.:crackup

What's a tankslapper? Is it the painfully unthinkably horrid fate that the name invokes?

·
9,765 Posts
Never mind. Just followed the link.

Yes, folks, he CAN be taught!

·
9,765 Posts
+1 Great link! Thanks again!:toast

·
When in Doubt?....Go Faster
1,259 Posts
To me it was when the front end comes back down from the wheelie real hard and causing the desrcibed affect above.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts