Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know about the facilities @ MSR Houston? Is there a covered paddock w/ electricity? Just trying to guage if I need to bring a generator and a popup tent. Also do we get to run the WHOLE track or a short course.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
^bump^

Anyone else going? It's only open for this one track this year. (As far as LSTD and RideSmart go.) Houston Ducati will be hosting like 15 track days there but they cost $185. The people who I've spoken to said the track is amazing, well worth the $135 RideSmart is charging.
 

·
I am the It in Sh!t
Joined
·
2,934 Posts
:hi

I will be there. I hear there is elect. etc...not sure about the tent situation.
Really looking forward to this track. Thats coming from a "4 time track day newbie" too.:shrug
:laughing

Anyone know what time the track will "lock the gate" that friday night?:confused
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
WhiteLightning said:
:hi

I will be there. I hear there is elect. etc...not sure about the tent situation.
Really looking forward to this track. Thats coming from a "4 time track day newbie" too.:shrug
:laughing

Anyone know what time the track will "lock the gate" that friday night?:confused
It looks like they have some tents in the paddock area. I'm pretty sure they'll have electricity.. if you need to plug in tire warmers I'll have my generator running. We're driving up Friday night too, I emailed the track managers to see what time the gate locks, hopefully it's about 10PM because we won't get there until then. Did you sign up for group 4?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
They were just finishing electricity when we ran there on Dec 19th.
Didn't have any the first two ours. came in from the 2nd session to find
a couple electricians finishing up installing the outlets. We had power 10 minutes later.
Always good to have a generator as a backup, but I doubt a new facility will see a bunch
of tripped breakers like TWS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RogerAtx said:
They were just finishing electricity when we ran there on Dec 19th.
Didn't have any the first two ours. came in from the 2nd session to find
a couple electricians finishing up installing the outlets. We had power 10 minutes later.
Always good to have a generator as a backup, but I doubt a new facility will see a bunch
of tripped breakers like TWS.
So what did you think of the track? Any gotcha's like Cresson w/ off camber turns or anything like it? :D
 

·
Support TC or fly like a fairy!
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
rearviewmirror said:
So what did you think of the track? Any gotcha's like Cresson w/ off camber turns or anything like it? :D
The Diamonds edge is pretty cool, it's quite deceiving once you come off the front straight, you could get in there to hot if you're not careful, turn 5 has a little bump which is cause by pavement seams, but nothing to worry about if you're on the gas and standing the bike up for turn 6, but the whole track is full of grip! I mean FULL OF GRIP!! IMO the best part of the track is the "Sweeper" and the "Launch" the launch comes after the series of chicanes and it's a little hill that if peg the gas you can possibly pull a wheelie while in lean angle. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say the track layout and makeup of concrete give that track a 10!!!!

Edit: I just convinced myself to go, see ya'll there. :laughing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RDeazy said:
The Diamonds edge is pretty cool, it's quite deceiving once you come off the front straight, you could get in there to hot if you're not careful, turn 5 has a little bump which is cause by pavement seams, but nothing to worry about if you're on the gas and standing the bike up for turn 6, but the whole track is full of grip! I mean FULL OF GRIP!! IMO the best part of the track is the "Sweeper" and the "Launch" the launch comes after the series of chicanes and it's a little hill that if peg the gas you can possibly pull a wheelie while in lean angle. On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd say the track layout and makeup of concrete give that track a 10!!!!

Edit: I just convinced myself to go, see ya'll there. :laughing
Thx for the info.. we're going up Friday night, I'll be there with a Silver 4Runner, black trailer, and black Ducati.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,227 Posts
If anyone has trailer space, let me know. Otherwise, look for the sweet Z3 with the Uhaul trailer. :D I'll be driving up Friday afternoon and camping too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pdog said:
If anyone has trailer space, let me know. Otherwise, look for the sweet Z3 with the Uhaul trailer. :D I'll be driving up Friday afternoon and camping too.
I've got room on my trailer, are you willing to still drive up though? We're going to have heaps of crap in my 4Runner and the dog. I owe ya one for the Tivo help anyways! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
pdog said:
If anyone has trailer space, let me know. Otherwise, look for the sweet Z3 with the Uhaul trailer. :D I'll be driving up Friday afternoon and camping too.

i will be going down there and have space on my trailer and room in the truck if you want. no drama :laughing but i am being seriuos tho if you need a trailer space and ride
 

·
Support TC or fly like a fairy!
Joined
·
2,748 Posts
sket sket said:
i will be going down there and have space on my trailer and room in the truck if you want. no drama :laughing but i am being seriuos tho if you need a trailer space and ride
I could use the trailer space, I'll give you some gas for haulin' my bike, sound cool?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
I personally struggled with the diamond's edge. It is darn near a bus-stop even if it's not named that. Certainly breaks the rhythm between two very fast portions. There's a bump somewhere in 5 that I kept rediscovering. Plus, I'd just done some jetting work and didn't have the needle right yet, and so was bogging a bit and pulling out of there slow.

The Launch was the other part difficult for me. I never quite trusted cresting it off camber.
Will be a lot of fun once you get used to it. The rest of the track I LOVED. Reasonable grip even on a cold day, so I'd bet a LOT on a warm one.

With a bit of practice, you can scream through 7 and often pass a guy there, but, you really have to get busy braking and downshifting in time to flop over right going into 8. I kept finding myself making a lot of ground up on people through 7, but not often being brave enough to capitalize on it and pass through 8/9. 11 was a fun 180deg you could ride pretty hard through on an SV. I would bet more powerful bikes could make themselves highside exiting it if not careful. A really fun track, and should be better still now that they've fixed pit-in and pit-out. On that first day, pit out was placed such that you had to cross the yellow line dividing pit-out and T17 to have a decent line through 17 and onto the straight. OK when not crowed, but dicy a couple times. Supposed to be better now.

May catch you guys over there if I get my 2nd trackbike (old Hawk I loan to friends) back together in time to loan it to a friend (he's sold his R6 endurance bike but hasn't rx'd his new D675 yet) If not, then surely at Cresson on the 24th.

Have fun. I'm envious.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
ya i've heard nothing but good stuff about the track.

lvl 1 and 2 are full though since a few days ago.

i was hearing mixed things about the electricity. I don't have a generator and I just picked up a pair of CH slightly used tirewarmers 2 weeks ago. So i haven't even used them yet. Anyhow, the weather is looking great right now, but we'll have to see. I'll get to take out my pretty new black telefonica race plastics ;)
 

·
I am the It in Sh!t
Joined
·
2,934 Posts
rearviewmirror said:
Did you sign up for group 4?
:laughing he said group 4 :laughing
Seriously, one day I will be there, but for now I mess between 1 & 2:D
We're driving up Friday night too, I emailed the track managers to see what time the gate locks, hopefully it's about 10PM because we won't get there until then.
Agree, I will be driving up Friday leaving San Antone around 5:00.
I want to drop off my bike there, we are staying at a motel in Alvin. :shrug
I am also hoping to try out a "good used " set of tire warmers. I hope the electricity is up and working.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
99 Posts
The track is wonderful, you guys will have a great time!!

With Diamond's Edge, keep in mind you get a nice litte short straight between the right turn off the straight and the bus stop's left turn. You can haul down the straight, barely roll of to set suspension and turn right, still have time to accelerate a bit and then get hard on the brakes before turning left - best part is, you are up and down while braking/shifting, more grip to ya.. ;)

The Launch was my second favorite on the motard after the chicane - in chicane, my brakes are so much better than anything you guys have (full F3 wheel and rotor with half the mass..) it's not even funny lol, and on the Launch if you got real brave and nailed it, it would give you a nice rear wheel slide with front wheel a bit in the air. Ok, I'm far from being that brave yet, but it was way cool!!

Anyway, have a blast tomorrow and tell Buck hi from me!

Yuliya
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top