Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I'd like to thank Odysseys and Expresso for all their help. Before SBN went down, they offered a lot of input and experience..though it resulted in heated debates between the two of them. :(

Of course...I didn't go with the Factory, but went with Muzzys recommendation and the shop doing the work. Dynojet stage 1.

No disrepected intended towards Expresso or Odysseys, as it's obvious they know what they know. I on the other hand, didn't feel that I could truly have the time or resources to properly tune the Factory to it's greatest potential. And honestly, didn't think I would have noticed any slight variations in tune, if I had. I opted to go the easy route (my mech's recommendation or what's he was familiar with), and whether or not it was right for me, will have to be determined.

All in all, I'm pretty happy. The Muzzy sound is just awesome! and over 5000rpm...it pulls like a raped ape!!

Here's a few pics:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another of the pipe...

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah...I forgot my numbers...

Stock: 128rwhp @145mph

Muzzys : 134rwhp @128mph

I have to admit I was hoping to get more, but I guess it's not a big deal as I rarely will be riding at these speeds and the improvement in throttle response alone was worth it.

I'm curious why my mech used 2 150 jets and 2 155. I thought you'd use all the same jets for all 4 carbs...no?

·
Registered
669 Posts
NinjaRat said:
I thought you'd use all the same jets for all 4 carbs...no?
No not necessarily.
Glad you are happy with the outcome but truely, with some tweaking you could probably see a few more horsies out of that.

Like you said though, do you really need to worry about that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
NinjaRat said:
I'm curious why my mech used 2 150 jets and 2 155. I thought you'd use all the same jets for all 4 carbs...no?
It all depends on the way your airbox is made. For some reason, the sealed-airbox Kawis like having larger mains in the middle. If you've ever looked at teh emulsion tubes, the 2 mid ones usually have more holes to accept more air, which means you can run more fuel.

My Factory kit is like that too. Plus the 1.7 Factory kit has you drill bigger main air jets for that specific reason too.

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Hey nice bike:redflip

I went with a Dyno too because the street Factory was expensive. I am very happy with the kit, the bike is soo much faster and smoother.

Is that Muzzy a full or slip on?

I went with a Hindle. It was 240 shipped. It sounds very good and is quiet.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
101ZX9rdude said:
Hey nice bike:redflip

I went with a Dyno too because the street Factory was expensive. I am very happy with the kit, the bike is soo much faster and smoother.

Is that Muzzy a full or slip on?

I went with a Hindle. It was 240 shipped. It sounds very good and is quiet.
Thanks...I like yours too!!

Yes, it's a full Muzzy. It has a very nice sound (somewhat bassy, but not too loud).

You took yours to the same place, no? Did you feel James did a good job tuning it? This is my first bike that I've done this sort of work, so I don't have much of a basis of comparison. I do feel the bike runs a lot stronger then before, though I was hoping for smoother throttle control (it's better than before). Of course, my expectations may not have been realistic.

We need to hook up next year in Royal Oak to compare bikes! :)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Re: My Muzzys

espresso said:
You would probably be surprised at the difference proper tuning makes over simply dropping the kit in, in many cases.

And tuning any jet kit will take about the same amount of work. Dynojet is no easier to tune (in most cases, it's harder).

I doubt you not, however:

1. I wasn't willing to attempt this myself.

2. The guy doing the work was a Dyno guy, so I don't know how well he would have done with a Factory.

All in all, I am happy the way it's running now, so I won't beat a dead horse. Thanks to you and others, I have a better conceptual understanding of how this all works.

Next year, I hope to invest in a track bike/project bike, and get a little dirty with it. I hope the knowledge I gain from that can be transferred to my street ride! :)

Thank again, Expresso, for all the info you shared on SBN...it was extremely helpful! :thumb

·
U.S.A. #1
522 Posts
Looks good!:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts