Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my first bike. :) It's a 94 Suzuki GSX600F Katana. The only thing I don't like about it is its paint scheme (black and purple) and the wheels (purple). I have a friend that's going to paint the bike for me, but I need to know if anyone knows a local shop that paints or powdercoats wheels. I live in Stafford VA btw. Thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
If you end up getting them powdercoated, make sure it's low-temp powdercoating. High temp PC can make your wheels brittle. That is B-A-D. Not all shops know this.

Barry

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barry said:
If you end up getting them powdercoated, make sure it's low-temp powdercoating. High temp PC can make your wheels brittle. That is B-A-D. Not all shops know this.

Barry
Thanks. I, and probably most shops, did not know this.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Barry said:

Barry
Meaning that you can't bake the wheels at a high heat or the powder coating can't be a high heat?

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Hi temps can make cast wheels brittle. Not all powdercoating shops know this, or accept it as truth. There is a high temp powdercoating process, and a low temp powdercoating process. If you don't see equipment to perform the low temp process at the shop, don't leave your wheels.

I know I would be very, very careful who I would let powdercoat a m/c wheel.

YMMV,
Barry

·
Mr. Practicality to you!
1,365 Posts
Another bit of advice, why not leave the paint scheme like it is until its 1st or 2nd drop.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
ouch...

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
But sage advice it is.

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
I'm just pissed I didn't dish it out.

:rant

Barry

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
i heard of one shop mentioned on goss's garage this weekend. "ye olde wheel shopppeee" (or something like that); it's somewhere in md.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
OK Tom, we are going to keep a running tally. You are at 1. Lets see how many posts are non **** erotic. Denying your homosexual tendencies counts as **** erotic. We really don't care. We accept all kinds around here. Keep up the good work. :thumb

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
:p i was on a roll. i used to think you guys were over the top with it, but you got me into a mindset of "how can i turn against him as something gay?". i have some pics of some gay dude in spandex on a cbr, from a thread in the grandstands. i'm surprised stillie hasn't posted 'em yet.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
Reset to ZERO:(

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol

Back on topic...I found a place in Stafford called Fredericksburg Powdercoating off of Truslow Rd. I'm going to check them out when I get back from NC to see what pricing and workmanship is like.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts