Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've about had it with bikes for awhile until I can find a bike perfect for me in all ways. After immobilizing an FZR 600 Friday evening, that was the last draw for the time being. My main problem is that even though I've been riding cycles since 7 or 9 years old they've only been dirtbikes and streetbikes. A sportbike is really something I will need to take time getting used to in many, many ways, I'm aware of and I wanted to take the FZR out around the house every day to get used to the difference and learn the feel of it, etc. Boy, did I mess it up just at this moment, so far I need to replace all of this:

Left clip on
Clutch lever
Upper fairing
Lower fairing
Tail section
Upper fairing bracket
Gas tank
Left vortex rearset

I'm pretty short, somewhere around 5'3" and I think my inseam is like around 25, I should check again. I've gotten some ideas before on another site, and went to a couple shops and sat on them but did not feel comfortable enough to the degree of being assured I could handle them. I know I'm not the only midget out there and I've gotten some advice from a few guys, but I really want advice now from the ladies and people who know what they're talking about for a change. All input will be appreciated.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
I'm only 5'4" and I'm really starting to get used to my zx6r. Did you try that one on for size? Or the SV?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
zlicius said:
I'm only 5'4" and I'm really starting to get used to my zx6r. Did you try that one on for size? Or the SV?

No, I really don't think I did, but I'll certainly go hunt one down just to see what's what. Thanx for the reply. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had my ZX6R lowered a couple of inches for the first few months. While you sacrifice a little handling, you more than make up for it in added confidence. After I got used to it, I had them raise it back up and we're getting along fine. BTW, I'm only 5'2" with about a 29" inseam

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RedZX6R said:
I had my ZX6R lowered a couple of inches for the first few months. While you sacrifice a little handling, you more than make up for it in added confidence. After I got used to it, I had them raise it back up and we're getting along fine. BTW, I'm only 5'2" with about a 29" inseam

Ok, but have any of you ever rode a streetbike, really better yet, a dirtbike for a while way before ever being introduced to the wonderful world of sportbikes? Maybe I would of been better off not ever being on a bike before now, ever. That way I'd have really no feel to comparison because I'd not know of how it felt/handled on one of them in the first place. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I do know that I seriously need to take the course, but what I've been trying to accomplish before taking the course was getting used to this type of bike and reaching a certain "comfort zone" first, thinking that I'd do better when I took the course. Or, am I getting my cart before the horses on this one? So, lowering a ZX6R a couple inches really hiked up your confidence? I guess sacrificing handling wouldn't be too much of a problem for me being that I already have my qualms with the handling of a streetbike anyway.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Have you sat on a 250? With that short of an inseam, you'd feel alot more stable on a 250. It's lighter, and has a lower seat height. Then, when you feel more comfortable and are acclimated to the "feel" of sportbikes, you can shop for something that suits your fancy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
diamond said:
Have you sat on a 250? With that short of an inseam, you'd feel alot more stable on a 250. It's lighter, and has a lower seat height. Then, when you feel more comfortable and are acclimated to the "feel" of sportbikes, you can shop for something that suits your fancy.

Well, actually, the last bike I had was a Yamaha 250 enduro which I turned into a dirtbike to wreak havoc all over my property (10 acres). It was an old hand me down in which all 8 of my brothers had plenty of heavenly time on and recently she just bit the dust because of age and the beatings I gave her. It was lowered for me when I got it about 3-4 years ago. I rode it on turf and street, even though it wasn't legal to ride it on the street, but hey, I lived in BFE so it wasn't like Barney Fife was gonna nab me or anything, lol. As far as feeling comfortable on it, I felt like that Yamaha was my second home. I'm taking notes and all suggestions into consideration. Thanx alot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
mrsarogantcrpse said:
Ok, but have any of you ever rode a streetbike, really better yet, a dirtbike for a while way before ever being introduced to the wonderful world of sportbikes? Maybe I would of been better off not ever being on a bike before now, ever. That way I'd have really no feel to comparison because I'd not know of how it felt/handled on one of them in the first place. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I do know that I seriously need to take the course, but what I've been trying to accomplish before taking the course was getting used to this type of bike and reaching a certain "comfort zone" first, thinking that I'd do better when I took the course. Or, am I getting my cart before the horses on this one? So, lowering a ZX6R a couple inches really hiked up your confidence? I guess sacrificing handling wouldn't be too much of a problem for me being that I already have my qualms with the handling of a streetbike anyway.
Yes, it made a big difference in confidence for me-- I could touch the ground with more than the end of my toe. At speed it made no diffference of course but it did at slow speeds at with parking/handling situations. And no, I had no previous motorcycle experience, so it was all new to me and anything to boost my confidence at first really helped. And hopefully I won't get flamed for being a newbie starting on a ZX6R. Maybe it helped that I didn't have cajones to think with (not that all you wonderful guys do, but testosterone does seem to get in the way sometimes!) and am in the over 30 category

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
[No message]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts