Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a dirtbike but I've only looked in cycletrader and a few cycle message boards forsale sections. Can you guys/gals post up some links for me? I don't belong to any dirtbike boards so I don't know of any.

This is gonna be my x-mas/new years present to myself. :D Found a couple nice bikes at a few dealers but the price of those bikes are stupid high.

I've looked at craigslist also but with no luck.

:shrug

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Veni Vedi Veci said:
I want a guys bike though spud. :nanana
sorry bro..

Just lettin ya know.

·
Rule #34
14,509 Posts
Have you tried Craig's list or cycletrader? j/k

You'll find many dirtbikes for sale on cork boards in motorcycle shops. Evidentally, the dirt community is old school and prefers the indexcard/phone number/polariod method.

The local shops down here have boards full of DBs for sale.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Any particular kind of dirtbike? 2stroke, 4stroke, woods bike, mx bike, dualsport, dualsportable, small, big, what? Dirtbike pretty much covers the gamut from CRF50 to a BMW GS.
whodat

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found thumpertalk right before you posted Cripes! (google) Tons of bikes listed in there and I see a few in the area that look interesting.

whodatzj said:
Any particular kind of dirtbike? 2stroke, 4stroke, woods bike, mx bike, dualsport, dualsportable, small, big, what? Dirtbike pretty much covers the gamut from CRF50 to a BMW GS.
whodat
Does it really matter? Send me a link to each of those different kind of db's. lol

What I want is a 4 stroke mx,woods, dualsport or able (motard possible), farely big db. lmao

I don't think a bike like Ken's (xr650) would work for me being that I'm 5'9. That bike would hand me my ass.

Something a little smaller but with tons of torque. :D

I know the different bikes somewhat just looking for places to search.

Scot, I hate searching cycletrader with all the new dealer ads and craigslist is pretty empty right now. Thanks esshole! :redflip

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Look at the DRZ400 (E or S)...XR400R....XR250 or the YZ250F (WR?) too...all good reliable bikes woods bikes. Can be tagged...just don't run 95, or 495 or 66 on it... :D

Like Scott said...local bike shops, or either some of the small local trader paper that sell for .75 at the counter at your local quickie-mart....often have free adv. and folks will put their dirt stuff in there.

B.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thumpertalk is where I got this for $2400:

(BTW, if someone with an XR4 were to poke around that folder and find the service manual, I don't know how it got there)
It's a big/small woods bike with lots of torque and was dualsported before I got it (although I put the BD kit on it)
Don't take it on I66? According to Brian's super-accurate high-dollar speedo, my little XR goes 83ish MPH (with a 16t front sprocket) It goes plenty fast enough for my commute from manassas to fairfax. I95? I don't even like taking my Yukon XL on there.
whodat

·
Putz
278 Posts
Super high-dollar spedo? Oh, you mean the $20 cycle computer I added. Yeah, you can actually adjust it to be accurate, which is a far sight better than the accuracy of the Bandits OEM spedo...

whodat's xr hit 75 pretty quickly, but had to work pretty hard to get the next 8. Of course, this was on a "closed test loop" in Fauquier Co.

B

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
VVV - I got a 1998 XK 125. Price is right.

Barry

·
Registered
4,192 Posts
Hey - it's a HELL of a deal on a Jag.

:redflip

Barry

·
Registered
434 Posts
Veni Vedi Veci said:
I'm looking for a dirtbike but I've only looked in cycletrader and a few cycle message boards forsale sections. Can you guys/gals post up some links for me? I don't belong to any dirtbike boards so I don't know of any.

This is gonna be my x-mas/new years present to myself. :D Found a couple nice bikes at a few dealers but the price of those bikes are stupid high.

I've looked at craigslist also but with no luck.

:shrug
It's about time! :redflip

Give me a call or pm when you get your bike and will go riding.

Wife and I are dirt riding tomorrow. :nanana

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
just don't run 95, or 495 or 66 on it...
I took the 6 Fiddy up towards Somerset with a borrowed GPS yesterday. I was just curious as to how it would do on the road and since I have yet to get my speedo I thought the GPS would do. Before I got to the bridge\jump heading towards the post office the GPS was indicating 92 mph w\stock gearing. It had some more left but I decided to back out cause I am still running soft terrain tires on it and she started shaking her head pretty bad. I still got some decent air going over the bride. :thumb What can I say........still a weee bit of squid in me.

VVV any of the 400s or 450s would be more than enough for around here. Dirt Bike just did a big write up on converting the CRF250X to dual sport duty. I would pay close attention to all the negatice press the new Honda CRFs with the unicam are getting though. Seems like many people are having major issues there.

I have seen many WR400\426s for sale in the 3k range. That is what I as actually shopping for when the XR fell in my lap. Let me know if you want to come down and take it for a spin. It is really alot more forgiving than you would think. It is heavy but once moving it is not an issue. I can do one handed u-turns in a little over half a lane if that is any indication of how she turns. But all I can say is if you want torque this is the only bike to get!!

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
HooliKen said:
...she started shaking her head pretty bad. I still got some decent air going over the bride. :thumb What can I say........still a weee bit of squid in me.
Pretty ballsy wife of yours. I don't Helen would let me do that.

:nanana

1 - 20 of 56 Posts