1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Id like to be the winning bidder...id call the baby G unit

·
Registered
12,186 Posts
Rez should bid and name the kid TrickTape.

·
Good on 2 God on 1
4,568 Posts
Their story is a shame.

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
....especially considering all the perfectly healthy kids and soon-to-be kids needing a home.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
BG, you'll never understand so don't even bother. :shake

I feel so bad for them. I hope they can raise enough money to at least have one shot of having their own child.

Someone who has never been infertile would never understand. The couple is from TX, TX laws SUCK. Insurance is not required to cover SHIT for infertility expenses. They have to cover the diagnosis, but that's it. There are many other states that require insurance companies to cover it... so we in TX get screwed if we want to have a family.

And it's not so easy to adopt. Try it. I have friends that have been waiting for over 2 years for a domestic adoption because they don't have they money for an international one.

Plus with international adoptions, there are b.s. rules. China adoptions, you have to be under weight. You have to be at least 28. And right now they are restructuring other Asian country adoptions so none are taking place. And it takes at least a year for all of the international adoptions to go thru... costing approx. $18,000 w/o the travel expense.

So don't you DARE shake your finger at these people for trying to pursue a dream to have their own child.

·
I'm so vain, I probably think this song is about m
14,142 Posts
Baby Gorilla said:
....especially considering all the perfectly healthy kids and soon-to-be kids needing a home.
You act like adoption is a spur of the moment thing :laughing

"Oh, you want a child??? Here you go, sign here and you can take it home"

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
zlicius said:
BG, you'll never understand so don't even bother. :shake

Someone who has never been infertile would never understand. The couple is from TX, TX laws SUCK. Insurance is not required to cover SHIT for infertility expenses. They have to cover the diagnosis, but that's it. There are many other states that require insurance companies to cover it... so we in TX get screwed if we want to have a family.

So don't you DARE shake your finger at these people for trying to pursue a dream to have their own child.

I'll shake my finger at them. I say that not to mean that I don't understand how you feel so bad for them, but in a way that maybe those of us who can't have children see it.

I'm kind of torn on this whole subject... On one hand I feel bad for them because I know how it feels. On the other I feel as though if they can't afford a child themselves then why have one? Insurance cover what is needed not choices like children. Obviously, with IV there's a possibility of having more than one and if they get more babies than expected what happens then? Do they ask for more charity? Are they going to be like the people on the news who have six children and need help because they are so blessed?

If these people were so ready and so willing have a child why not become a foster parent to troubled children or children who were addicted to something? Are we in such a society where people just throw away children because their own mother smoked crack and now the child has a hole in their heart? It's not the same thing as having their own, but they would be doing something good for somebody and fulfill being a parent to a child who really needs it. If they cared that's what they'd do, otherwise I think they should just pay for it themselves.

I know this sounds like I'm being mean, but I'm not. I'm not bashing anyone or anyone's opinions. I don't expect comments only that someone sees it another way. There ARE plenty of children out there who need good homes but there are too many parents who are too selfish to want a "used" child or an older child in DESPERATE need of a loving home. They don't bother to try, they'd rather rush and have their own. Adoption is hard, but it can be done. Yes, it cost a small fortune but isn't it worth it if you really wanted a child. Getting children who have been left behind is easy when you have money and these people obviously do not so why have children?

I guess I come from a back ground where children are planned and children are taken care of before they are brought into this world. There are too many people out there who work hard to support their own children without help, why should these people be an exception to the rule? Most people don't see it that way, but it's how I feel. If you can't afford to do it on your own, get over it. Your love for each other should be enough. I didn't ask to be brought into this over populated world, so why should I bring on another life to fill it up some more. It's a choice to have children not a charity.

I feel bad that I don't have any sympathy for these people, but I am truly disgusted by what they are doing just because I don't think it's right. This is my OPINION because I myself can not have children. My SO can't have children, either. I see women in the mall being nasty to their kids and I hear about abuse cases that make me ill. Those are the children who need to be taken in by these selfish people.

Not only is a child impossible for me, we're still paying for medical bills due to cancer when Chris didn't have insurance. He had a boss who screwed up in paper work and we lost coverage for the year he was going through chemo and radiation. He never got sick, except for the weekend stay he had to have in the hospital. He never missed a day of work while going through the hardest chemo treatments and radiation. This man has had cancer twice now. Most recently he had a new cancer develop four months ago. He is the perfect man to have children and has always wanted them but could never have them due to cancer. There was no point in saving sperm because one of the kinds of cancer he had just made him sterile even before the chemo. Adoption agencies don't "give" children to couples with fatal diseases such like cancer due to the fact of relapse. There are people lucky enough to be alive let alone have children.

I keep saying children are not charities or auctions because they aren't. It's the luck of the draw in life on whether you can have them or not. Life sucks, but you live on. Call me bitter, but I know what it's like. I'm not about to run out to ebay and come up with some idea to have people pay for my unborn child. Who knows, what happens if these people pay for them to try and it doesn't work? That's money they wasted to go out and try to get an OLDER child who is in need. I just want people to see that there are women like me who can't have children either who aren't rushing right out to have children when they can't afford them. Some of us don't think it's right law or no law.

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
you and i are just gonna have to disagree. I think it's every persons right to be able to have children if they so wish, and by any means they deem appropriate in their own lives. if they want to take charity from some stranger in order to fulfill their dreams, so be it. none of my damn business. neither is it my business why they aren't choosing to foster (which until you are close to someone who fosters these poor kids, you have no clue how these kids are either)

:shrug

·
Registered
28,590 Posts
I was going to say I'm sorry for this... but I'm not.

How is procreation a "right"? Obviously it isn't because nature intervenes... and when nature gets into it... then mankind intervenes again... And, why should it be covered under insurance? Just because it is a medical procedure doesn't mean that it is necessary. There are many things that one person would deem "necessary" that aren't covered.

I'm not saying it isn't a horrible situation, or that it's "fair". Life isn't ever fair, learn that early on...

I say more power to them if they can raise the money. I don't agree with it, as in most cases IVF isn't a one-shot wonder and it will end up costing them more in the long run, what happens when this first one (well, the three they are budgeting for) don't take and they have to raise the money again? Does the highest bidder get to compete again?

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
I wasn't trying to be judgmental, but when I see how many unexpected pregnancies would love to have a good couple to adopt the kid....it's sad that people put stuff like this on eBay. :shake

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
zlicius said:
you and i are just gonna have to disagree. I think it's every persons right to be able to have children if they so wish, and by any means they deem appropriate in their own lives. if they want to take charity from some stranger in order to fulfill their dreams, so be it. none of my damn business. neither is it my business why they aren't choosing to foster (which until you are close to someone who fosters these poor kids, you have no clue how these kids are either)

:shrug
That's the problem these days, everyone wants their right to do this or that, regardless of its impact on anyone else. What are the chances of her baby developing that painful Crohn's disease? how is a 9% risk not hereditary? Chances are, my insurance rates will go up again from the results of these people excersizing their "rights"......These people are going to have the most fragile kids....:(

·
Registered
21,040 Posts
Zlicius - I agree with you 100%

That's the problem these days, everyone wants their right to do this or that, regardless of its impact on anyone else. What are the chances of her baby developing that painful Crohn's disease? how is a 9% risk not hereditary? Chances are, my insurance rates will go up again from the results of these people excersizing their "rights"......These people are going to have the most fragile kids
Quick to assume, arent we? Have you done any research on the Crohn's Disease? How do you know what the chances are that this baby will be born with the disease. You dont know that.

Oh and about the insurance rates.. BOOHOO :cry This will affect you by how much? 1 cent? How about being a little kinder to your fellow americans, and let someone have a chance at their dreams instead of being so damn selfish! That goes for all you people crying the insurance blues.

·
Tatters in the Tree House
4,796 Posts
I have to agree with the statements on if they can't afford the procedure then how the hell are they going to afford the kid. It sounds like they are up to their neck in debt, what do they think a baby is going to bring to the table.

I see more and more people who can't afford to have a kid, have one. Just because you have the right does not mean you have to exercise it. :Shrug

·
Tatters in the Tree House
4,796 Posts
Debs said:
All of the other issues outstanding, which I don't want to get into, WHY THE HELL would someone pay over $3K to name someone ELSE's baby? :confused that's just messed up. :shake
Because they are someone with too damn much money. I wonder if they are going to be nice or just name the kid something really freaking stupid. :laughing

1 - 20 of 32 Posts