Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that is very insecure about the way she looks, she's real pretty, but had acne before and its left scars, and her skin looks kinda pitted now, i thought some of you might have some idea about what she can do for it, she knows im asking this on here, she just doesnt know what to do, surgery or such is not an option(too expensive), thanks

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Chemical peel or dermobrasion might help unless the scarring is severe. It's kinda expensive and you end up looking like a pepperoni pizza for a week or so after it's done until your skin bounces back. Other than keeping her skin soft with a good moisturizer and not using alot of foundation that will accentuate the pitting, there's not alot you can do.
My advice is for her not to try and focus on that part of herself as a negative. I'm sure she notices it alot more than anybody who knows her or meets her for the first time. Sometimes we are our own worst critics and pick ourselves apart. Tell her to stand proud and realize she's the beauty that others see. ;)

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
There is a product on the market that does well in reducing scarring, but I don't know what it's called or where to even start looking for it! :(

So, basically not much help :shrug

Has she gone to a dermatologist? They might be able to recommend something.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
zlicius said:
+1 on the derm. They'll know where to start at least...
But until she can get an appointment....
Tell her to buy vitamin E oil (not a creme with vit E) or to buy Vit E tablets and break open the capsules. She should wash her hands well first and her face, dry it. Spread the E over her "scars" before bed every single night. E heals great, my surgeon recommended it for a gross scar across my neck after surgery to speed up the healing and to minimize the scar (which it did to a faint line). He told me they also use E in the burn wards, not just to soothe but to heal. She made need resurfacing of some sort like thundercatwoman suggested.
Ginny

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Debs said:
There is a product on the market that does well in reducing scarring, but I don't know what it's called or where to even start looking for it! :(

So, basically not much help :shrug

Has she gone to a dermatologist? They might be able to recommend something.
I think you may be referring to Mederma? It's sold at pharmacies behind their counter. You don't need a prescription for it either. You just walk up and ask for it. :D

·
Registered
24,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
zlicius said:
+1 on the derm. They'll know where to start at least...

she cant afford to go, she just had a baby a few months ago, and is supporting him and herself on her own, no insurance on herself.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Yamerhaw said:
what will vitamin E do?
It heals.
If the scars are quite old, the E may not help her skin improve at this point.
Vit E should NOT be used on any open blemishes on her skin if she has several. This could lead to dermatitis which will irritate her skin even more and perhaps cause any new acne to spread/become inflammed leading to more scarring (if she still infact gets acne). When she can afford to, she must get to a dermatologist, there are several treatments available to minimize the scarring. I have a friend (an MD) who just took over a dermatology practice. I'll ask her over the holidays for some advice.

Ginny

1 - 12 of 12 Posts