Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
James "finger tight" Rachner
7,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just got back in from Bellingham about a half hour ago (1:30am) and my hands are FROZEN! Any suggestions on some decent gloves that offer the following
1.Protection
2.WARMTH!!!!
3.Feel for the bike

Also... I bundle up fairly well when making these cold rides, and even though I layer my shirts, lots of cold air still comes through the perferated leather... anybody have any suggestions on a windblocker type fleece that wont run me $200 like the North Face one...?

And last... some sort of neck sock! My legs and feet and head are fine, but my damn neck freezes!!!

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
http://www.helmetharbor.com/estore/accessories.cfm?seriesid=Tourmaster+Gloves

i had some olympia gloves that worked well too, but they were more expensive then some of the tourmaster stuff. can also consider heated grips too, it's only ~$30 for heater elements that go under your exisitng grips.

as for what to wear under perf leather, you could use a rain/ski jacket and put it on OVER your leathers. as for your neck, I use a skiing neck warmer and it works fine for me.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I second that skiing neckwarmer to keep you warm. I have a Joe Rocket Ballistic for cold days and I put the neck warmer under my helmet and colar and it keeps my neck and chin warm. As for fleece, just a cheap Old Navy variety or any sport fleece like Nike should work well. Even better would be if your jacket could take a zip in liner? But I'm sure you would have thought of that if you could get one. The ski jacket on the outside idea isn't bad, you'll just get a lot of flapping if you go fast.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Oh, the glove question. I'm not sure which brand but I know some of the companies make really good gortex gloves. Some are insulated, some aren't. I think first gear and fieldsheer make some really good, reasonably priced winter gloves.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
As far as gloves go, I haven't much luck either, but will be picking up some of the new Icon Patrol gloves soon and will post up how well they work.

Oh, and perforated leathers are for summer! :slap

Get some textile stuff for winter, (like Joe Rocket, etc) works MUCH better in the cold!

·
Registered
751 Posts
The neck warmers are a good choice, the one I use is a black nylon one for $10 looks cheap and thin but it keeps your neck warm. As for your jacket if you don't want to buy a nice winter riding jacket (" removable liner" ) you can wear Thermal Long Johns under your jacket.

·
Falling asleep to the sound of gunfire, nightly.
6,609 Posts
buy some electric grip warmers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Heated grips from dual-star.com:thumb Total cost about $25 and takes about an hour to install. I can ride just about year round with my summer gloves on and can use any grips I want since the grip heater elements are attached directly to the clip ons.

I second the heated jacket and will give another nod for Gerbing. If you can't afford it now, wait for their annual spring sale....they are located across the pond in Union, WA and once a year they have a big sale on all their leftover stock for CHEAP. Last year I bought a heated jacket, heated gloves, heated vest for the SO and a heat troller for $180.

Get the heated grips though....I'm tellin you, you won't regret it going over the pass come spring time or during these cooler winter months.

Grip heaters

Laters-

Sanch

·
STEW'S LOVE CHILD
20,003 Posts
for cold wind protection get the ballistic jacket. If ya don't want to spend the money wear a good set of rain gear and wear your leathers under it or that suit thing that Ruppert wears, I think it is an aerostich suit or something like that but they are $$$$

EDIT
Oh yea I wear my tour master rain jacket alot and leather jacket with balistic pants and stay warm all day (except for my hands, I need to work on that)

·
Falling asleep to the sound of gunfire, nightly.
6,609 Posts
Alpinestars makes a pull over rain jacket that stops the wind too. That's what I use. I usually wear two t-shirts (1 long sleeve and one short sleeve). I have a US military field jacket liner (light and hella warm). My leather jacket my pull over on top of that. Works like a charm and keeps you dry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts