Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

need to replace my chain and sproket.. questions

553 views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  DogJet 
#1 ·
ok..

So i need to replace my chain and rear sprocket on my sv1000, and first question is where to order or get one from??
Im looking for the cheaper option here (im on a very tight budget), so im guessing that means going to the dealer is not the best choice. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

I would also like to know if anyone would be willing to help me install them... i could throw some money/beer/food or something your way for the help once i get them.

Thank in advance.. i appreciate it

#8 ·
why wouldnt i want to do the 520 conversion? makes it sound like its worth it.. not to mention its the only place i can find that is sold as a set. I dont know what to look for when it comes to picking out all seperate components. :confused

btw, there is 13k on my chain and sprocket, with lots of wheelie and weather abuse... RMC wouldnt even take it for a test drive, if that is any indication that i need a new set.

btw.. i was plannin on going down a tooth on the countershaft anyways, which that ebay 520 conversion has, and its also the best chain they offer as well. :confused

#11 ·
Because 520's are thinner and wear faster than stock chain sizes, if you are easting up a stock chain in 13k, that one wont last very long at all. The benifits for street riders are neglible, its more of a thing to add to a mod list than anything else, and not worth the money IMO.

They do have good prices tho, I bet they stock more than the 520 stuff.

That setup not only goes down a tooth up front, but also up two on the back. Thats going to shorten your gearing quite a bit. Not sure how short you want to go, +3 on the rear for my SV was ample, the -1f +2r would be about as short as I would go.

Just my opinion, other that have more experience can feel free to chime in and support/deny my claims :D

#12 ·
smokee said:
Because 520's are thinner and wear faster than stock chain sizes, if you are easting up a stock chain in 13k, that one wont last very long at all. The benifits for street riders are neglible, its more of a thing to add to a mod list than anything else, and not worth the money IMO.

They do have good prices tho, I bet they stock more than the 520 stuff.

That setup not only goes down a tooth up front, but also up two on the back. Thats going to shorten your gearing quite a bit. Not sure how short you want to go, +3 on the rear for my SV was ample, the -1f +2r would be about as short as I would go.

Just my opinion, other that have more experience can feel free to chime in and support/deny my claims :D
I agree with you Aaron on the 520 parts. I won't use aluminum sprockets, though not cheap, they are softer than steel and wear faster, especially in inclement weather.

#13 ·
I'm gonna be getting a 520 conversion for my R6 from Sum of All parts on Ebay soon. My stock sprockets and chain are fine, but going from a 2.69 FD to 3.33 sounds like it would be a good time. Course heading down the freeway at 8~9k rpms might get old fast, and I'm sure it's a killer on gas mileage, but it'll still get more than 35, and it will be fun. Plus having a cool gold EK chain adds major bling points.:crackup

#14 ·
Oh, and about aluminum wearing faster than steel. As long as you take good care of them, I've heard 520's do fine. Course thats on an R6 with negligible amounts of torque, an SV 1000 might just spin right through the teeth.

#15 ·
well.. on the ebay link i posted... it shows that the chain is the highest quality chain they offer.

along with quotes such as

The "XW"-ring goes the distance to fully eliminate the risk of seal failure and provides the user with a 50% longer wear life than basic "O"-ring chain.

"Lighter and stronger aluminum sprockets put the emphasis on ACCELERATION while maintaining the OEM suggested replacement intervals. Furthermore the gauge cluster is about 8-10% high from the factory settings. One more benefit of the kit we sell is that it actually makes the speedometer only 2% high as opposed to 8-10% too high. "

"This 520 chain has 8800 pounds tensile strength-with a rivet clip- means that you will get the strength of a 530 chain with the light weight and low friction of an "X-ring" chain. This is the best chain on the market, period."

"front and rear sprockets are triple coated and anodized to keep rust and oxidation off of the chain and sprocket. Also has more gearing options (top speed and/or more acceleration) "

"RWHP (rear wheel horsepower) is increased by 2-3% in DYNO TESTS because of the decreased resistance, reciprocating mass and diminished friction. Please note this DOES NOT INCREASE THE CRANK HORSEPOWER, only the "real world" horsepower that you can feel when you accelerate. "

:confused :confused

#16 ·
Yeah it's the light weight aluminum sprockets that are the issue. The ones on most bikes stock are steel, aluminum of course is weaker. But if you keep everything maintained you should be ok.

#17 ·
MAINTAIN YOUR SHIT!

Adjust your chain often, clean and lube it even more often (every time it gets wet, every wash, or once a week). This is the most important part in getting good life out of your chain and sprockets.

The 520 conversion with an aluminum sprocket will not last as long as your stock setup, but if you keep up on the maintenance you'll still get good life out of it.

#18 ·
Do not use a 520 kit on your SV1000 it will only net you about 6,000 miles if that. Use the 530 kit.

The Steel rear gear and front gear stock from a dealer are not that bad. Buy both of them at the dealer and buy the best chain you can online. Just my .02 cents..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.