Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone used Blockbuster.com yet? I know Netflix has good reviews, but I haven't dealt with Blockbuster.com yet. Anyone else? It's $2 cheaper, but I'm not too worried about $2 if the service is better.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have Blockbuster and have no complaints thus far. You also get 4 rentals per month at the store which is nice for convenience if you dont have a movie you want at the time.

-Kate

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
I have Netflix and love it. It works perfect for me. Never had a problem, always have what I want and I mail a movie out on Mon have a new one by Wed/Thurs.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Hypnotiq said:
I have Netflix and love it. It works perfect for me. Never had a problem, always have what I want and I mail a movie out on Mon have a new one by Wed/Thurs.
+1 Love it. Don't go to the video store at all any more.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Netflix...... everyone else can eat my ASS!!!! Especially Blockbuster...... I wouldn't give them another dime EVER!

·
Hooligan in training
2,950 Posts
I chose blockbuster but not the online deal. the store is only 2 minutes away so i could get like 6 movies a day if I really wanted to watch that many movies.

·
Registered
15,218 Posts
DanGTI337 said:
Anyone used Blockbuster.com yet? I know Netflix has good reviews, but I haven't dealt with Blockbuster.com yet. Anyone else? It's $2 cheaper, but I'm not too worried about $2 if the service is better.
We've used Netflix for years now and love it. They have very good shipping times and their website is useful (particularly on items that are not yet released -- they give a release date). The envelopes are a little on the delicate side (you have to watch which portion you're tearing off or you can ruin it -- not a big deal, just something to critique).

We recently tried Blockbuster and to be honest I liked it quite a bit. The shipping feature is innovative (once the DVD you're returning gets scanned at the post office they ship your next DVD). Their website is also useful although it doesn't have the release date feature like netflix. However, they do have thnumbnails next to their movies which netflix doesn't (like when you do a search, etc.) Their envelopes are easier to use than netflix's to me.

About shipping: Netflix has a local distribution center, blockbuster doesn't. So even though blockbuster has their cool fulfillment system integrated with USPS it didn't seem to be any faster than netflix. As time goes by I'm sure blockbuster will get a local center and then it will be very fast -- that's my guess anyway.

Blockbuster has a slightly lower price and also gives you 2 in-store movie rentals per month, making the price even more attractive and allowing some spontaneity on your part -- you simply print out a coupon and use it at any store. We also received 2 bonus rentals for in-store movies. Very cool.

Both places have a free trial. Try 'em both and see which you like better.

We discontinued the blcokbuster trial. Why? More familiarity with netflix as we'd used it since their inception, blockbuster's isn't quite as polished (I mean netflix are the pioneers and have worked out all the bugs) and a little bit of wanting to support the little guy.

Once blockbuster has it totally smooth (website and a local distribution center) I can see us switching but for now we'll stick with what we've been using.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Girlfriend had netflix at her old apartment, and we recently tried Blockbuster online (got the free Shrek DVD offer). She said she liked Blockbuster better..

However we swear by the Blockbuster movie pass...2 out at a time, any movie in the store, and no due date for 14.99 for first month and 24.99 afterwards

We rent movies almost every day or every other day, so this is the best deal for us.

We just tried the hollywood movie pass, and switched back to Blockbuster (I cancelled the hollywood pass on Christmas). It's 9.99/month for the first 3 months and then 14.99 afterwards. you can have 3 movies at a time, however, there are restrictions. you can only rent movies that have the MVP sticker on the new release wall, and then obviously all of the older movies on the floor. New releases get the MVP sticker as soon as they reach their rental quotas..which usually takes at least 3-4 weeks
And there is a 5 day due date on all movies

Wasn't worth it for us because we always grab new releases from blockbuster, and we sometimes keep our movies for over 5 days (we don't exactly keep track)

Anyway, as far as blockbuster online, i had zero problems, and for the occasional renter, it's a great deal, and the coupons for instore rentals for movies OR games are excellent. I always got an email saying they received my dvd and my movies were always shipping quickly.

i was in the store last night and they had a bunch of new promo stuff saying "no more due dates" and what not starting in Jan 2005, so perhaps blockbuster online is getting improved as well

·
Registered
751 Posts
gsp0t said:
I use Netflix and it rocks !!!!
Not to mention they have a really fast ship time because one of there distributions is in Tacoma where i live. So i get my movies fast !! Not sure if they have a distributer up North.
Have any of the Netflix users here experienced the reputed slowdown that occurs when you switch from the 3 to the 5 plan? We were very satisfied customers for four of five months and so we upped the service to 5 movies and suddenly the service slowed down. For a couple of months we were receiving LESS movies per month than when we were on the 3-plan. Then... the broken DVDs started... 1 in every 3 movies we received were broken, cracked damaged...

We researched and found that this is a commonly reported pattern so we cancelled and signed up with Blockbuster a few weeks ago... it's working just fine so far.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so I hit my first snag with Netflix. Great service so far, except for one small problem, they censor A LOT of movies. Any other foreign film fans notice this? I ordered up 9 1/2 weeks (not foreign) and it was rated "UR" - which means, I got the USA "Up All Night" version. :down So anyway, I went and checked on a couple other movies, and sure they have them, but they've all been edited down to the "safe for your 10 year old to watch" status. Stupid censorship.. Not just movies with sex scenes, but violent/gory movies as well. If I'm going to watch a dvd, I want it in it's original form, not some wussed out, PG10 crap.

·
Bee Killa
1,849 Posts
DanGTI337 said:
Ok, so I hit my first snag with Netflix. Great service so far, except for one small problem, they censor A LOT of movies. Any other foreign film fans notice this? I ordered up 9 1/2 weeks (not foreign) and it was rated "UR" - which means, I got the USA "Up All Night" version. :down So anyway, I went and checked on a couple other movies, and sure they have them, but they've all been edited down to the "safe for your 10 year old to watch" status. Stupid censorship.. Not just movies with sex scenes, but violent/gory movies as well. If I'm going to watch a dvd, I want it in it's original form, not some wussed out, PG10 crap.
Strange, I never had problems, and I can't find any google references to this at all. :confused

Note: UR means unrated, it has nothing to do with censorship

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nivfreak said:
Strange, I never had problems, and I can't find any google references to this at all. :confused
Yeah, me either. The more I searched for movies though, the more I found with a "NR" stamp. I've got a few on the way I'm going to check out. One of the user reviews for 9 1/2 weeks tells about it though.

·
Bee Killa
1,849 Posts
It might just be the US version. Some movies are censored for US release. Eyes wide shut is a good example. They digitally overlayed tom cruise on some of the more hard-core sex scenes. I have the uncensored version from overseas though :D

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
maybe they got the US edited version rather then international versions? :confused dunno, never had that problem either. i like how netflix has so much more selection then the local blockbusters. fast delivery, switched it over from WA to houston when i came down here for the holidays and had movies within a few days :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
BamBam said:
Have any of the Netflix users here experienced the reputed slowdown that occurs when you switch from the 3 to the 5 plan? We were very satisfied customers for four of five months and so we upped the service to 5 movies and suddenly the service slowed down. For a couple of months we were receiving LESS movies per month than when we were on the 3-plan. Then... the broken DVDs started... 1 in every 3 movies we received were broken, cracked damaged...

We researched and found that this is a commonly reported pattern so we cancelled and signed up with Hollywood a few weeks ago... it's working just fine so far.
I moved from the 3 movie plan to the 8 movie plan and they still keeping coming as fast as ever ,..... i havnt seen a slow down in the slightest. I ship back 8 of them .... i get 8 within a couple of days .... i live in Tacoma and there distribution is in Tacoma .... so mine get to me fairly fast. I am not sure what other distributions are in the state, but i know they have that one so far. I have never had the Hollywood account, so i cant compare the 2. But i sure know i have had a awesome experience with Netflix. I have never even had a problem with a disk yet.

·
Registered
751 Posts
gsp0t said:
I have never had the Hollywood account, so i cant compare the 2. But i sure know i have had a awesome experience with Netflix. I have never even had a problem with a disk yet.
Glad it's working for you...
My apologies for mentioning Hollywod - I actually meant Blockbuster.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.