Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, fellow Midwesterners!

I recently passed the MSF Basic RiderCourse, and am now waiting until next spring to buy a bike. If everything goes according to plan, I'll be buying a 2003 Suzuki SV650S in April.

In the meantime, I've started looking for gear. I have made protection a substantial part of my budget, so I should be able to get quality stuff.

Where is the best place in Wisconsin/northern Illinois to find gear? I live right down the road from Sportland 2 (in Oak Creek), but they don't seem to have a very large inventory. I realize that most shops are switching to snowmobiles now, so I may have to wait until next season. I'd like to get an idea of what fits me, though, so I'm not caught off-guard when the weather improves.

Thanks to all, and I'll see you on the road soon!

-Michael

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey man, nice to see somebody else from Milwaukee here. Good idea budgeting money for gear, it can get very expensive. I can tell you that there is no place in the Milwaukee area that has a decent selection of gear. I've been to every place in the area and Sportland 2 is about the best. Lake Country in Waukesha had quite a bit of Joe Rocket stuff the last time I was there, but not much else. If you find some place with a decent selection, please let me know, 'cause I haven't been able to find it.
If you are looking for a group to ride with, check out apex-extreme.com. They usually ride on Sundays, which don't work for me, but I ride with them when I can. They're all good guys and don't mind waiting for you if you're slow like me.
Take it easy,
Travis

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you want to see all the gear at one spot, go to the cycle show in Chicago in January. You truly won't believe your eyes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys!

Travis - I will definitely let you know if I come across a shop with a good gear selection. I had heard of Apex Extreme, and I may hook up with them after I get some solo experience.

2FS4LV - I've already got my friends making plans to join me at the show in February (at least, that's what the website says). I'm anxious to see which manufacturers will be represented.

Thanks again!

-Michael

·
Registered
1 Posts
The show at the Rosemont is okay. I still think that the best selection and prices are found on the web. I use www.accwhse.com most of the time. Most shops in town will order whatever you want but the web is ALWAYS less expensive.
A friends son bought the 650 this year and is in love with it.
Good idea to get lots of practice before mixing it up with a large group.
Keep the rubber down!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey fellas. Im in Milwaukee as well. I thought there was a bike shop on 124th and National that had a good selection of gear. Its somewhere between 124 and 130th / National. I live on the North side right now but will soon be moving to Hwy 100 and Forest Home area. Well have to meet up and ride sometime.

·
Gail Swallows!!!!
394 Posts
Hey fellas, not from Milwaukee but I am from Wisconsin. Good to see not everybody has their bikes stored for winter already.:laughing

·
Registered
72 Posts
Gsxr Jake said:
Hey fellas, not from Milwaukee but I am from Wisconsin. Good to see not everybody has their bikes stored for winter already.:laughing
I refuse to store my bike right now!! I cant get myself to so it!! Hell, i'm going riding tomorrow!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
FZRguy - is the Torque Center the place you were talking about in your previous post? That's the only place I found in that area. It's on National between Sunny Slope and Moorland.
I swung by there today and checked out what they had. The selection was pretty good, but they still didn't have as much stuff as I would like to see. Maybe they had some stuff put away for the season already. They did have a lot of helmets and quite a few jackets. Definitely worth checking out if you're in the market for gear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Damn, I went looking for the place today on the bike but didnt go far enough on National! I gave up and turned back. I'll have to check it out sometime next week. It looks like rain all weekend so I dont think ill be getting much bike time in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I stopped at the Ducati shop on Friday. I love that place. Where else can you get something to eat AND drool over Ducatis, Aprilias, and MV Agustas? They probably had to get a mop to clean up the puddle in front of the F4 Senna after I left.:D
They do have a pretty good selection of gear as well. Mostly higher end stuff as Amber mentioned, but that's the only place I've found that has a decent selection of boots. The place is definitely worth checking out, expecially if you've never been there before.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The torque center has a wide selection of gear, I would go there try it on and then order it online to save some money!:D

·
Registered
104 Posts
Don't use your dealer as afree fitting room!

Please DO NOT use a dealers inventory as a free fitting room! I'm not a dealer but this is not right. Bad Karma....

Dealers stock goods at thier own risk so you have a good selection and can buy it from them. Wonder why ya can't buy an Arai helmet on-line any more? Fiiting issues my ass. It's because they are protecting thier STOCKING dealers and good for them. At least give the dealer a chance to earn your gear business.

Support a local dealer to some extent, you'll need a good relationship with someone local and it's worth an extra 10% or 15% on a couple of items to foster this relationship.

The same applies to you new bike purchase, give the local shop a chance to earn your business. A dealer can be your best friend with a borderline warranty issue. Good relationships on a local level are important.

My .02 worth

Monte
www.sportbiketracktime.com:shake

·
Registered
13 Posts
Support your local dealers, YES.

Get ripped in the Ass and pay extra for the same product, Your choice.

I will buy from a dealer if it is convenient for me, not to help them in continuing to rip off every one that walks in the door.

I have a friend that paid over 200 dollars to have a rear dunlop 207ZR mounted on his buell. That just isn't right in my opinion.

Just my .02 cents.:confused

·
Registered
104 Posts
On the bike (remove and replace the rear wheel) mounting, balancing and a Rear 180/55 207ZR for around $200, that's actually a pretty good deal. Your friend didn't get screwed.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
FUCK the local dealer...... Why spend more for the same shit. Dealers are evil anyways. Yeah 400 dollars to put a slip on my ass...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts