Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I brought this in here cause this is where the people are. The other sections seem to be more baron than janet reno's mattress.

The noOb thing is this..... I'm looking at my first bike, I've read a bunch of articles and crap about how you should get a small 250/500 for your first bike. Or don't buy new. As well as buy what you want but be resonable. Ride very conservative untill your skills grow (obvious one.) I've read to get a low power bike I've read to get a light bike regardless of power. I've read every thing under the sun so far and its all confusing. So heres what i'm thinking.

I really like the look and more importantly the feel of the CBR600RR or F4i. I know these are just above a good starter bike/boarderline race bike. but after being on one (F4i) I like the feel and being only 370 pounds feel rather light to me. I ride conservative as it is (dirtbikes, fourwheelers only so far.) I figure just cause the power is there doesn't mean I have to use it, does this rational make anysense. I WANT your opinion here, granted it will be my decision eitherway but i'd like to know what you think. Sorry for length of this.

-LogaN

·
Registered
866 Posts
Get what you want. Work it slow and take the MSF.

Good enough?

·
It's good to be the king
4,427 Posts
Well it sounds as if you've really thought it over a bunch. Here's my two cents. I'm not one of the buy a 250 first crowd. I think you work hard for your cash so you should get whatever it is you want. I think you'll be a faster and better rider if you get some time on the 250 first. Thats not to say you won't be a great rider on a 600ss. Hell I started out on a Gsxr 600. I took it real easy at first and worked my way up to it. If I woulda started out on a smaller bike I would have been faster quicker but I wanted a 600 so thats what I got.

Here's my suggestion. Take your MSF course. If you want a 600 get something that 5 or 6 years old. Being new your chances for dropping it are way, way high. Dropping a brand new bike is no fun. You get something a little older. Ride it for a year. Turn around and sell it for what ya payed for it or close and then move up to something brand new.

Just my thoughts and good luck.

Deuce

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Logan02 said:
I ride conservative as it is (dirtbikes, fourwheelers only so far.) I figure just cause the power is there doesn't mean I have to use it, does this rational make anysense.

Sorry, but I say that's BS.

I'm the same way, but when I got the bike, I used the power and crashed. Trust me, I'm pretty conservative in the car. The guys I ride with, hate riding in the car with me cuz I'm so conservative. But ride with me, cuz I'll kick it on the bike when I have to.

But I can't tell you not to get an F4i cuz well, look what i did!!!

Just don't kid yourself when you say you aren't gonna push it.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
If you are smart, and know you can learn and grow with the bike, get whatever the hell your heart desires. Just use your head.

TOY with it, and you WILL GET BURNED. you WILL GET BURNED this is no lie.

take it easy and study motorcycling, make it a project, a life's lesson, and you will not get burned.

but if you know yourself, don't listen to the naysayers, get what you want.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Deuce said:
Well it sounds as if you've really thought it over a bunch. Here's my two cents. I'm not one of the buy a 250 first crowd. I think you work hard for your cash so you should get whatever it is you want. I think you'll be a faster and better rider if you get some time on the 250 first. Thats not to say you won't be a great rider on a 600ss. Hell I started out on a Gsxr 600. I took it real easy at first and worked my way up to it. If I woulda started out on a smaller bike I would have been faster quicker but I wanted a 600 so thats what I got.

Here's my suggestion. Take your MSF course. If you want a 600 get something that 5 or 6 years old. Being new your chances for dropping it are way, way high. Dropping a brand new bike is no fun. You get something a little older. Ride it for a year. Turn around and sell it for what ya payed for it or close and then move up to something brand new.

Just my thoughts and good luck.

Deuce
Not bad, take the MSF course for sure. Consider this also DIRT BIKE I cant stress that enough, i had been riding 10 yrs before i took the MSF course I passed the riding with 100% and the written with a 98%. So think about a season on the dirt first

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx for all the thoughts guys. It helps for a noOb to beable to hear what actual riders are thinking, rather than those paid to review and judge on a deadline. Granted they too are probably riders but right to a general audience rather than a single putz like me asking questions. :)

P.S. I was registered for my MSF course this morning as a B-Day present to myself. :)

·
It's good to be the king
4,427 Posts
karl_1052 said:
but your GSXR600 would get owned by a 250.:redflip
No way man. Ninja 250's would eat my dust. :redflip Or blowby, whichever you prefer. lol But an EX500. Ooh they were tough. heheheh But seriously, that boat anchor they call a 600 couldn't even take an F2. How sad is that?

Deuce

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
It's best to start out on a smaller bike. A 250 is the right idea.

But.....I would say an older 600 isn't a bad choice. Grabbing an old F2 (after MSF) might be a great idea to start with. It's still a lot of bike, but play around with that for a year before buying a new(er) F4i. Just my opinion. ;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Re: Re: noOb need HELP. (like thats gonna work well for good response)

Jotz said:

Just don't kid yourself when you say you aren't gonna push it.
ditto, it's only a matter of time before you say to yourself, looky this here straight away, no cops to be seen, i wonder how fast i can go...especially if you are riding with a group of experienced riders, you'll be pushing it just to keep up...

i did both, i got a used 250, to learn on (no msf and just a permit)
the msf eventually had an opening and i took that, then moved to a used 600 dropped it twice and then i bought a new f4i...

get what you want, but my vote would be to get a used 600...

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Also consider an older zx7 or zxr6(or yzf ect..).All are great bikes and insurance will be cheaper.The perfoemance will be very good and you won't spend alot of cash.

A beginers track day after your msf course will be great also.You'll learn more about your bike in one day than you would in a year riding on the street.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again boys, And I wouldn't worry about the pressure to keep up, I'm actually the first and only rider in my group of friends. Theres One other guy taing the MSF with me but he's not nearly as into riding as I am. So the only pressure comes from me.(not sure if thats good or bad yet. But usually good.)

OH and where can I find that beginner track day you were talking about. I Live in Modesto CA and will be in Chico CA by the time i get the bike. I think the closest track to me is Sears point? or is that Laguna? Looks like I need more help. :(

·
Where we going?
3,221 Posts
Logan02 said:
I've read a bunch of articles and crap about how you should get a small 250/500 for your first bike. Or don't buy new.
You've done a lot of research and put some real thought into this. Just don't get caught up in getting the latest greatest most stylish and ignore the "crap" you read.

Getting a 250 or a 500 usually doesn't give you a bike with much poser value, but you get an inexpensive bike that will treat you right.

The problem with the 600 SS bikes isn't the power (although it can be), its the handling. These bikes respond to every rider input. When you're learning to ride, you put a lot of unnecesary and incorrect inputs into the bike. Where a 250 or 500 doesn't get too upset by this, a 600 SS will send you asphault surfing.

Good luck, but an F4i is not a good starter bike. It can be done, but not easily, and by getting that bike, you're increasing your chances for misfortune. Please don't get the RR, that is going to be even edgier than the F4i by the sounds of it.

·
King of something
4,583 Posts
karl_1052 said:
but your GSXR600 would get owned by a 250.:redflip
That'll be enough of those kinda remarks!:deadly :devilfing lilblackey

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
It looks like the more hardcore members who pressed for new riders to get a 250 didn't make the transition from sbn.net to here (TazisCool)...

You may want to hold off on getting a 600rr... get an early 90's bike, beat the crap out of it for a season, then upgrade...

More forgiving bikes recommended include the Yzf600r, ZX6e, Katana, SV650...

good luck

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ok all you big bike riders. It might be his cash, it might be what he wants, but it is also someones life!! He will have friends and family that would be affected if something happens.

I have ridden dirt bikes for 4 years and then did my motorcycle training. I went the 250 route as it enables me to get better roadcraft without worry about having so much power underneth me.

Saying that i test rode a zx6r yesterday as I am thinking of getting one next year. I rode the bike ok, but I did not feel that I was in complete control of it.

My advice is to start out small and work your way up. Your better off buying a secong hand 250 or 500 for a cheap price and having some money to buy really good gear.

Cheers

·
Forum Leader,
6,102 Posts
I am also with the "buy small" crowd. You should find a good used 250 or 500, hone your skills and learn if riding is really for you. For some it is a passing fad. Getting a new 600 would be an expensive mistake. Do you have any idea what it costs to repair even minor damage to a new sportbike? Have you checked on what your insurance rate will be with a 600? It is WAY better to start small....you will learn to ride much better, much quicker. When you are ready for a newer/bigger bike you can get almost what you paid out of it. Last, but not least you need good quality gear. There is no exception to this rule. Expect to spend around $1000 or more. And no, jeans and a helmet ain't full gear. :D

·
Registered
6,303 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the Ninja 250s for beginners. I've ridden then and my wife started out on one. I thought it was a good idea until I took it out one afternoon. The handling of the bike was nervous at best, very twitchy and too light for my 175lb frame. Maybe it worked fine for her, but I hated it and didn't feel safe about me or her riding it afer that. I will say though that I'd be hesitant at buying a F4 or F4i for my first bike, the wife now owns one and is very good at riding it (almost too good), but I think it'd be too much even. I started on a 650cc bike myself but it was by no means a SS, but it did have very high curb apeal. My advice would be to take the class, just like everybody else has said and start shopping for a nice use SV650 or, better yet, a Honda NT650! :thumb

Also if you buy a more inexpensive (some don't like the word cheap) bike, you'll also get to experience the joys of modifying your bike, and buying gear, with the extra cash that's left over!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts