Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Noob questions

599 views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  chandra.hp 
#1 ·
I had a couple of questions and this seems to be the place to get answers. I want to get my motorcycle license. I currently live in NJ, but by this time next month I will be living in California. Is it better to get my license now and have it just transfer over or should I just wait until I get to California and take the course there? Also, how much does insurance usually go for? I know a friend of mine was only paying about $200 a year for his older Katana 750. I was thinking about a 99 Yamaha R6. What kind of maintenance should I be looking for? Other than tune-ups and tires I've seen that a lot of people change the sprocket and chain even with low mileage. How hard is this to do? Can it be done with basic hand tools? What else on a bike needs attention? Any help,advice, or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

#2 ·
R6=bad beginner bike

i'd recomend taking the www.msf-usa.org class in the state that has the lowest price for the class.

insurance, well the R6 is prolly the most stolen bike in the country, does it make sense to have liability only?

#3 ·
I would wait to take the class there. A few weeks isnt long and it will give you time to do some reading. Check out Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough or How to ride a motorcycle by my friend Pat Hahn

It will give you an advantage when you get into a class next month.

#6 ·
It really doesn't matter... any sportbike is a diamond to the eyes of a theif. A friend of mine is on his FOURTH Honda RC51, another buddy of mine on his second 600RR, one guy got his F4i stolen... ect... ect... in general... liability just doesn't cut it.

And think about getting a 500cc parallel twin engine bike instead of a 600cc super-sport. Unlike most people here... I think most people will be okay on a 600cc bike, but it will severaly hurt your learning curve. If you want a cool looking 500cc machine... look into the new Suzuki GS500's. Great bike that is comfortable, stable, and faster than just about every car out in the streets... and it looks very similar to the slick looking GSXR's.

#8 ·
there's also the learning curve. w/ a 600SS bike you don't learn a whole lot. your just kinda riding it but it's limits are so far over your head you can't learn. w/ a beginner bike you learn to ride. and you keep making your skills better.

before you do anything take the www.msf-usa.org class

#9 ·
You will drop your first bike..i dont think anyone i know never did not dump it at least once...I dropped my old VTR 250 twice...i didnt get hurt..just felt like a dork...
The MSF course is the way to go. It will teach you the basic skills of riding, and then after you get your first bike, go back and take the intermediate course. Well worth it!
2 kinds of riders, those who have crashed, and those who are going to....remember this..so always where your gear.

#11 ·
chandra.hp said:
It really doesn't matter... any sportbike is a diamond to the eyes of a theif. A friend of mine is on his FOURTH Honda RC51, another buddy of mine on his second 600RR, one guy got his F4i stolen... ect... ect... in general... liability just doesn't cut it.

There has to be some kind of anit-theft you can do for a bike. Maybe disconnect the relay for the fuel pump or make a switch to disconnect it?

#13 ·
JerseyNoob said:
There has to be some kind of anit-theft you can do for a bike. Maybe disconnect the relay for the fuel pump or make a switch to disconnect it?

a couple guys normally just wheel it into a van/truck or pick it up and put it in. People riding off on the bikes doesn't seem to be as common as you'd think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.