Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here see or ever see - work with NP's?

Gonna make some changes in my life....

I think about going back to school everyday and I believe this is where I am headed...

Any opinions, experiences...?

KIRSTY!!

·
Registered
17,923 Posts
i used to see one as my GP. she actually basically delivered Blake... the only time the "real" (and i use the term loosely) dr was there was about 25 seconds before Blake popped out.

Then I moved down here, and saw one at my OB's office until she moved and I didn't like the OB so I moved to a midwife.

edit: and before anyone freaks she's a certified nurse midwife.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Good money

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Have seen some. We finally ended going through one after nasty letters to the neurology department at the Children's Hospital in Seattle didn't seem to help. My daughter's neurologist wouldn't respond to repeated letters and phone calls about my daughter having up to 10 siezures a day. Finally the school nurse called and got through to the NP. Within 10 minutes of that call, we were scheduled for an EEG and meds were adjusted.

I think NPs and RNs are so much better to work with than MDs. They care more about the people than the money.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I pretty much have only seen NPs or the last few years. I move often and it takes a lot longer to get appointments with a doctor when you are new. I like going to see the NPs more becuase they aren't in so much of a hurry all the time.

I also have a friend who is in school for that, he seems to enjoy it.

·
Registered
16,960 Posts
Amazing, not one post yet about the thought of cbrchick in a nurse's outfit. :citadel

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Dont forget about us PA's:D

If you want you can shoot me a PM about it there are pros and cons to each.

I currently work with an NP who Iwouldnt let treat people I dont like:rolleyes but I had 2 excellent NP's teach me a lot of stuff and helped me get into PA school.

The money is prety comperable but laws vary in different states and facilities as to what you can and cannot do.

Tom

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Ya'll....

Several people have mentioned the money aspect of things, and although getting my Master's could/would be more profitable in the future, money is not my main objective.....

There's different laws up here Tom - and I think, I think PA's are just starting to come into the picture... :)

Part of the decision I'd have to make is what area of practice do I want to focus on.... That's why I guess I' like hearing about everyone's specific encounters with NP's... In family medicince, as a NP (CNS) working within a given field (neurology) - OBGY stuff.....

I dont know where I want to focus my attention....

:(

KIRSTY!!

PS - thanks for all the replies for far guys...;)

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
1fastchick said:
hey tommy what does a first year PA start at generally??
national average is around 70. Most of my classmates were around that# plus someof us are in city/state hospitals which pay a bit less.

Some sub specialties tend to pay more too. ER is one of the better ones once you get experience, also working in an office can be prety good too but I would get bored very quickly.

Tom

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
ok scratch my statements, I just saw that you are already an RN:D

Some of our nurses are going into managerial/administrative roles but I couldnt dealwith all the politics. The problem with NP is there are only certain disciplines you can work in and dont have as broad training as we do, bu tyou guys are also independant practicioners ( on paper anyway) It also vaires what you can do in different states but NY is prety liberal in what I can do.

Tom

·
Registered
3,556 Posts
I saw an NP when I thought I had the flu.

She correctly identified it as sinusitis and not the FLU.
Seemed competent enough to me.

It was only a short encouter, so I cannot contribute any more.

She was also very hot and very married :(

·
Registered
10,510 Posts
Kirsty, you will get a LOT of action if you decide to go that route up here, especially with the shortage of doctors. They are really pushing NP's, especially in the rural areas.

I saw a NP for a couple of years when I lived out in the boonies (even more boonies than I live now :laughing). She was VERY competant, and could do pretty much anything a GP would do (general checkups, pap smears etc), and if she thought I needed medication she'd discuss with the doctor and he'd write a prescription. That rural doctor could see 3 times as many patients with a NP than he could alone

:thumb I'm all for it

·
Obey The Pug
7,899 Posts
There's an NP on staff all the time when my dad gets his chemo. She's very good and very thourough. I can tell she really cares and enjoys what she does. We probably see more of her than my dad's oncologist.

I was asking her about her job the other day, it seems cool that she can practice on her own and write presciptions without the supervision of a dr.

I'm still trying to go back to school to be an RN, and if i go that route, i would definately be interested in being a NP

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
Re: Re: Nurse Practitioner anyone?

spiderman6969 said:
im going back to school to become one... or a PA not sure yet:D
So you can start posting pics in the darkside:redflip

if you are starting from scratch PA is the better route since the schooling would be shorter, nursing school is usually 4 years for the BS then another 2 for NP whereas most PA programs have you do the basic sciences on your own then when you are in the program its only 2 more years, and most programs are going to masters programs so it looks better since NP's have one. I only have a BS but did the credits to earn one but our program changed a year after I graduated.

Tom

·
Registered
744 Posts
They are better than md's because they didnt get into it because of an inferiority complex, they generally care.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts