Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Buell Blast a few weeks ago. A friend of mine suggested I change over to a high performance synthetic oil. I looked in my owners manual, and it said to use Harley Davidson oil. My question is what do you suggest? I would appreciate any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Go with what you can afford. Synthetic isnt going to protect your motor any better than dino so long as you change it regularly. You dont need to stick with the motherships brand of oil either. Just about any decent 20w50 oil will do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the information. I was not sure if there was additive in the Harley oil, so I thought it was best to ask.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I'd sugest Mobil 1 15-50 Synth top and bottom. Big difference in shifting, and it works well.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Mobil 1 is great oil. I used to use it exclusively and never had a problem. I now use Shell Rotella 15W40 in my 4stroke engines (truck, bikes, mowers etc) which may be the best dino oil out there. Big Rigs routinely run it well over 20,000 miles in their diesels. It has very high film strength, strong acid neutralizing qualities and is about half the cost (or less) of synthetic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again. I am glad to hear the response. Now if I can find a repair manual ( just in case ) I will be in good shape. Thanks again.

·
1,480 Posts
With as much oil as the Blast uses, don't waste your money on expensive oils. You are never going to wear out your oil, because you are constantly replacing it. I call it a total loss system :D

Seriously, I don't change the oil on teh Blast anymore, just the oil filter every once in a while.

And yes, I do really like this bike. But it does suck down the oil.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link to that manual. I would have got back to thank you sooner, but I was preoccupied. My 2nd daughter was born on X-MAS day.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You can get the Mobil 1 15w50 from Walmart for $20 for the 5 quart bottle. I works out to be about $.25 less the the regular oil at the Harley shop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know it's an old thread. But I read that using car oil in a bike can do harm. Something about causing the clutch to slip?

Or is that unique to Jap bikes? Suzuki, Honda, etc. etc.

·
Registered
12,619 Posts
Your clutch will not slip as long as you use an oil that does not say Energy Conserving on the API label on the back of the quart of oil. These are usually 10W40, 20W50 or 15W50 oils. I have also seen them on 10W30 oil, but its rare.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts