Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I'm in the market for some Gerbing gloves... I know that, 2 weekends ago at the "employee discount" sale, the gloves with an MSRP of $140 could be had for $104.25, but I was out of town, so I missed the sale... That's fine, I don't expect to get the same deal as that sale any time I walk in, but when faced with someone knowing what the "employee" price is that you KNOW they're still making money on, comes in and says "I'll give you in the middle between the employee price and full retail (so, basically $20 off)" for something, or else I'll buy it elseware, they won't budge... Hell, I was only asking for something like 13% off, but would have settled for $10% off because they're the only dealer around here that sells them... Instead, she offered to sell me the "10% off for a year" card for $30... Hell, 10% off should be an automatic thing, or at the VERY least, something that you get if you're on their mailing list!

I mean, is it better to only make $50 profit instead of $70 on something, or to lose the sale entirely? Hell, I used to buy everything at Pheonix Sport Cycle when I was in college (even though I had a Nighthawk, and they don't sell Honda) because even though I could get it online cheaper, they'd deal with me so it was maybe a little more than online prices, but I could still get it cheaper than MSRP! This kind of thing really pisses me off! The "our way of the highway" thing worked before the Internet, when you had to drive across the state to get to another dealer, but now that you can get everything to your door in 3 days and pay 2/3 of MSRP, unless you need it RIGHT NOW, why would you pay full price, or even MORE than full price to support the people who rip you off? Hell, if I'm going to pay full MSRP for something, I'll get off their website direct!

Case in point: Last christmas, I was helping a girl I work with get a tach for her husband's Vulcan 1600... I looked on Kawasaki's website and found the accessory tach for that particular bike and the MSRP was $290something (which is rediculous in and of itself), so I called Dreyer to see how much they could knock off of MSRP... The conversation went like this:

me: Yeah, I need to see what you can do on the price for a tach for a '04 Vulcan 1600.
them: That'll be $324.99 + tax
me: I'm sorry, we must be looking at different parts, the MSRP on Kawasaki's website was $290something.
them: Our price on it is $324.99 + tax.
me: So, you're saying that you're trying to get $30 MORE than MSRP on these, or do you have a different MSRP in the book than I saw on the website?
them: Our price is $324.99 + tax.
Me: Thanks but no thanks [click]

I'll tell you right now, if I buy a new Suzuki, I'm going to Pheonix, and if I buy a new anything else, I'm going to Maxx Pitts...

{throws hands up in the air}

Mike

·
a.k.a Ben
1,013 Posts
i know how you feel and I just don't deal with them anymore, but for different reasons.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
yam01 said:
i know how you feel and I just don't deal with them anymore, but for different reasons.
I'm curious...

I have a feeling it's about bike price... I was looking at bikes there and it sounds like they won't even take the freight and setup off! Hell, even the ultra-rip-off Action Motorsports in Lafayette will do that! (old ownership, it was a complete rip-off place... I haven't been there since the new ownership took over)... A couple people I know that are bike salesmen say that the freight and setup fees are actually included in the MSRP, which is why most dealers are very quick to take those things off the price...

Mike

·
a.k.a Ben
1,013 Posts
bartonmd said:
I'm curious...

I have a feeling it's about bike price...
Mike

I would say it's more service related or lack there of. I have bought product there in the past, but it was because they were the only local dealer that seemed to carry a variety of gear. I rarely purchase anything I can't test out first. At the time they were useful in that respect, but several other shops have started popping up and carrying more gear.

Ask MikieR6 about bike price. He got a steal on a brand new R6 (at the time) which was probably $1,000 or more at Dreyer for the same model.

·
Registered
787 Posts
we need a cyclegear up there in indy.... that's one of the best stores i've run into and (atleast here) they are quite willing to work out a deal..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is actually a cyclegear in north greenwood/south Indy that's supposedly pretty good, although I've only been there once...

Hell, I may just end up buying the Widder gloves from them (I think that's where Travis said he got his widder gloves) and just buying or making an adaptor so they go into the sleeves of my Gerbing jacket liner...

In fact, most dealers are willing to deal... The only 2 I've found that won't are Dreyer and the 96th street Harley/Honda dealer, but even the H-D/Honda dealer gives a 10% discount if you belong to a club... and ST-N worked for me last time I was in there, so they're not real strict on it I don't think... Only problem is, the H-D Gerbing gloves are $165, so even with the 10% it's more $$ than the $140 for the Gerbings...

Mike

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hrm, that's probably new since I left... or right befor i left...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I bought my bike at CCC (Chicago Cycle Center) I bought it in Dec 03 and its a 04 R6. Paid just at $6,800. Dreyer wanted $8,400. But thats not why I will never deal with Dreyer, CCC just does alot higher volume. As most people on here know I wrecked my bike two months after I bought it. Insurance allmost totaled it, 68% all cosmetic. I wrecked it on Februrary 29th, 2004. Took it to them on March 2nd. Didnt get it back till the end of April. Brent the service manager is a good guy, but he needs a much better store to back him. Brent wants to move stuff through their quicker but doesnt have the staff or talent to do so. As far as their gear I think it is all way over priced. If I ever need a new bike I will go back to CCC. If I need gear I either go to Competition Accessories in Springfield, OH, they run some really good sales. Or I go to DGY Motorsports in Downers Grove, Il. Both of them are a long drive, but I travel alot for work and usually go check out the local cycle shops when I have time to kill. These two are amoung the best price, and selection wise that I have seen. As far as service, I always take it to The Sportbike Center in Greenwood.

·
Sportbike rider
711 Posts
Hey BrassB. did you have to prove your man whore skills to get price?

Seriously, what was Fox's cycle saying to you for a price?

·
Track Slut
1,912 Posts
they wouldnt even come within $500 of that. I said "her ei smy quote, you come within $500 of it I will buy it right now.". They said there was no way that Honda East could sell it to me for that cheap, and that I was going to get up there and they were going to tack on all sorts of "fees" to cover their costs..etc, etc, etc.

Well, I went up there with my quote. Got to the dealership at 9am when they opened and the bike was on my truck at 9:15.

Easier sale, no hassle, and no extra fees like Fox said i was going to be charged.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dreyer did $1500 of warranty work for me.
(new exhaust valves, engine tear down)
They had parts on order before they even gave me the diagnosis.
They didn't ask me for one thin dime. Not for fluids, or anything.

They also were very knowledgeable.
I did my homework before taking it in, and they had all the answers.
They earned my loyalty.
Also, they are the only shop in Indy that will mount rubber anytime without an appointment, while you wait. The only game in town.
They don't give people bullshit about only mounting tires they sell.

I've never bought a bike from them, but I will give them an opportunity when the time comes.

If you want to avoid a dealership in Indy, stay away from Indy Motorsports (NE side).
I took my bike to them for a 600 mile tune-up.
When I came to pick it up, someone that did not even work at the shop, was out on redlining my new bike on a joy ride.
UnFUkkING believable.
That's the kind of shop to avoid.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey Mike,
Give drop me a line when the sand clears down south.
I'm startn to get the same inch to ride a last February.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bman?? Are you Brent on the silver FJR, that I've ridden with a couple times before?

Anyway, I don't know about service there... I pretty much do everything myself, and when I used to get tires balanced after I mounted them, Flat Out was VERY reasonable at $5/tire when most other places wanted the "minimum service charge" of $20/tire or something dumb... Hell, Flat Out didn't even charge me a couple times (too much dicking around to charge somebody $5) and just said "Just come back, and we're even." So I'd go inside and buy something I needed anyway (chain lube, bike cleaner, etc)...

I have my own tire balancer now though, so I'm really pretty self-sufficient... I will say, though, that if I was getting warranty work done, I'd probably go there, because they have a rep for being very good in the service dept...

Mike

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
bman17, You must have caught them on an off day. Also I know both The Sportbike Center and Cycle Outfitters will mount new rubber while you wait. Everytime I have called Dryer when I had a flat (numerous times) They would say drop the bike off and we can have it back to you the next day. So If you got rubber mounted the same day, they must have been bored that day.

I have never dealt with Indy Motorsports but I would have been kicking some ass if I were you.

·
a.k.a Ben
1,013 Posts
MikieR6 said:
Everytime I have called Dryer when I had a flat (numerous times) They would say drop the bike off and we can have it back to you the next day. So If you got rubber mounted the same day, they must have been bored that day.
+1

·
Tatters in the Tree House
4,796 Posts
MikieR6 said:
bman17, You must have caught them on an off day. Also I know both The Sportbike Center and Cycle Outfitters will mount new rubber while you wait. Everytime I have called Dryer when I had a flat (numerous times) They would say drop the bike off and we can have it back to you the next day. So If you got rubber mounted the same day, they must have been bored that day.

I have never dealt with Indy Motorsports but I would have been kicking some ass if I were you.
+1 +1

When I first started riding everyone told me to stay away from Cycle Outfitters but I have had no issues with them at all. I know this is small but thought it was cool. When we got back from Deals I snaped my damn clip for my Chatter Box, the one that mounts to the helmet. Called up Cycle Outfitters to see if they carried them.

Went in and told the guy what I needed, he comes out with two clips and toss's them on the counter. I asked what I owed him and he said nothing man just come back. Now I didn't even buy my Chatter Box there and I know those clips aren't all to expensive but he didn't have to even look for me let alone give them to me for free.

Sportbike center hooked me up with a damn good price on tires and mounting and let me in the shop while they mounted them same day. They have changed owners so I will see how they do this next round. I have to get tires here shortly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts