Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Damn, just got in touch with an old friend of mine from high school. Her son was badly mauled by a dog a while back :eek Looks like she's going to have to sue to get medical damages among other things :eek I remember seeing this on the news last year. Hope the little guy ends up being ok


http://www.kirotv.com/news/8857506/detail.html

Toddler Recovering After Dog Mauling

POSTED: 11:21 am PDT April 20, 2006
UPDATED: 11:38 am PDT April 21, 2006

BLAINE, Wash. -- A North Sound toddler is recovering Friday after being attacked by a dog Wednesday, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reported.

A dingo-mix dog mauled a 2½-year-old boy at Semiahmoo Kids Camp in Blaine.

Jayden Lynden was playing on the swings inside a fenced area when a dog belonging to a construction worker next door snuck into the yard through a gap in the fence. The dog came up to the boy from behind and when the boy reached out to touch the dog, the dog attacked him.

Day-care workers had to pull the boy from the dog’s jaws.

The toddler had to have 14 stitches and staples in both his face and head. The dog’s grip broke through the boy’s skull but did not pierce his brain.

The boy’s mother said he is now at home and is doing fine, reported KIRO.

The dog has been placed under quarantine while police investigate the attack.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,394 Posts
that sucks. i hope the construction worker gets his ass handed to him. i remember in med school we took care a of a girl of similar age (maybe a little younger) who was really mauled by her grandmother's dog. her face was destroyed - torn open all over. it was so sad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,146 Posts
:cry OMG that little face.. :cry :cry I can't imagine any dog owner agreeing to quarantining their dog. I would kill it myself. :mad That poor little boy. :(

+1 JustSteve though - I would be kicking someone's ASS if there were a gap big enough for a dog at my son's daycare.. Course some dogs can climb fences but not nearly as many...

What the hell is a DINGO-mix anyway?? Like the Dingos from Australia? Wonder how it ended up here? :confused
 

·
Moderator,
Joined
·
11,236 Posts
MILF said:
:cry OMG that little face.. :cry :cry I can't imagine any dog owner agreeing to quarantining their dog. I would kill it myself. :mad That poor little boy. :(

+1 JustSteve though - I would be kicking someone's ASS if there were a gap big enough for a dog at my son's daycare.. Course some dogs can climb fences but not nearly as many...

What the hell is a DINGO-mix anyway?? Like the Dingos from Australia? Wonder how it ended up here? :confused
Thats the thing if a dog can fit thru im sure a child can fit thru as well. How the hell do you explain that, uh um well see we never fixed a gap in the fence and the kid must have run out when we werent looking. :confused
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
23,492 Posts
MILF said:


What the hell is a DINGO-mix anyway?? Like the Dingos from Australia? Wonder how it ended up here? :confused
Ditto on that. Why the hell would anyone want a dingo mix? They arent exactly a pet. They still are more wild dog than anything.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,039 Posts
What an awful story, the poor little guy!

+1 to MILF, if it were my dog I'd kill it myself. Of course, my dog wouldn't be wandering around unsupervised while I was supposed to be at work :shrug
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,198 Posts
YZFRob said:
Ditto on that. Why the hell would anyone want a dingo mix? They arent exactly a pet. They still are more wild dog than anything.
What about wolf hybrids, not exactly a Golden Retriever, yet people have them. Don't get me wrong its always a tragedy when a child gets attacked by a dog (regardless of breed) but usually something more happens than what is reported. Where were the care takers for the children, how come they didn't see this dog in the play area? That only leads me to believe that the people who are trusted to take care of your children aren't doing that. This accident could've been avoided if the people who were "watching" the children were watching the children. Basically what I am saying is don't jump to blame the dog or its owner. If the workers were out there watching the children more attentively, I'll bet ya my motorcycle this wouldn't have happened.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,394 Posts
Curb said:
That only leads me to believe that the people who are trusted to take care of your children aren't doing that. This accident could've been avoided if the people who were "watching" the children were watching the children. Basically what I am saying is don't jump to blame the dog or its owner. If the workers were out there watching the children more attentively, I'll bet ya my motorcycle this wouldn't have happened.
maybe, maybe not. how long does it take for a dog to run across a yard? 1, maybe 2 seconds? how quickly could an adult have run there? not as fast as a dog, and even that might not have stopped an attack. adults get attacked themselves, so what makes you think an adult at that very spot would have done anything? and how do you know there wasn't an adult there? the day care workers pulled the dog off him, for crying out loud. what more should they have done?

maybe the daycare should have a staff:student ratio of 1:1, and each child has an adult that stands directly over him/her at all times. :rolleyes

sorry, the blame here lies squarely and deservedly on the shoulders on the dog's owner. if the dog were restrained, this wouldn't have happened at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,198 Posts
tdah said:
maybe, maybe not. how long does it take for a dog to run across a yard? 1, maybe 2 seconds? how quickly could an adult have run there? not as fast as a dog, and even that might not have stopped an attack. adults get attacked themselves, so what makes you think an adult at that very spot would have done anything? and how do you know there wasn't an adult there? the day care workers pulled the dog off him, for crying out loud. what more should they have done?

maybe the daycare should have a staff:student ratio of 1:1, and each child has an adult that stands directly over him/her at all times. :rolleyes

sorry, the blame here lies squarely and deservedly on the shoulders on the dog's owner. if the dog were restrained, this wouldn't have happened at all.
Well, the article said that "the dog attacked when the child went to go pet it." So that leads me to believe that the dog didn't run over to the child and be like i choose you to maul. So the dog made his way towards the child at a relatively slow pace.

I'm not saying that there should be a 1:1 ratio. But from the way the article read it would've seemed that the staff would've had enough time to get over there to try and prevent this from happening.

For one second pretend that this was a stray dog, what then. Who's fault would it be then? And I don't want to hear,"well it isn't a stray so..." Just go with the flow here, answer that question as a hypothetical one. Who's fault would it be if it were a stray that got into the play area and did this?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,394 Posts
that would be the fault of whoever is responsible for maintaining the fence. still probably not the fault of the daycare workers, but the manager or owner of the daycare.

but like you said, that isn't the case, and there is an easily identifiable person who bears the blame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Curb said:
Where were the care takers for the children, how come they didn't see this dog in the play area? That only leads me to believe that the people who are trusted to take care of your children aren't doing that. This accident could've been avoided if the people who were "watching" the children were watching the children. Basically what I am saying is don't jump to blame the dog or its owner. If the workers were out there watching the children more attentively, I'll bet ya my motorcycle this wouldn't have happened.

The play area buts up against vegetation and from what I understand the childcare person saw it almost immediately....yelled for the kid and went quickly over as the kid was approaching the dog then got attacked. If there hadn't been someone there right away the damage would have been much worse as they literally had to pry the dog off the kid. The fence was chain link and it looked like the dog crawled in underneath through a gap and not a toddler size hole
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,146 Posts
How's he doing? Do you have any pics that aren't so heart breaking? :( Maybe a 'healing up' one? I hope there is one...:( That little face... Would love to hear his progress..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
MILF said:
How's he doing? Do you have any pics that aren't so heart breaking? :( Maybe a 'healing up' one? I hope there is one...:( That little face... Would love to hear his progress..
I hate to ask because I really hadn't talked to her in 12 years and when I did it was only via email a couple times. She said he is doing fine now other than being traumatized and needing future surgeries
 

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
Joined
·
7,107 Posts
tdah said:
maybe, maybe not. how long does it take for a dog to run across a yard? 1, maybe 2 seconds? how quickly could an adult have run there? not as fast as a dog, and even that might not have stopped an attack. adults get attacked themselves, so what makes you think an adult at that very spot would have done anything? and how do you know there wasn't an adult there? the day care workers pulled the dog off him, for crying out loud. what more should they have done?

maybe the daycare should have a staff:student ratio of 1:1, and each child has an adult that stands directly over him/her at all times. :rolleyes

sorry, the blame here lies squarely and deservedly on the shoulders on the dog's owner. if the dog were restrained, this wouldn't have happened at all.
I fully agree that the owner is to blame. The day care was negligent period. If they can turn their heads long enough for the child to be bitten by the dog then they can turn their heads long enough for that child to slip through the fence. The child could have easily followed that dog back through the hole in the fence or been lured through by a stranger. That is a HUGE security breach regardless of the dog attack
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top