Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

How much wind would it take

• Gusts to 30mph

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gusts to 40mph

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gusts to 50mph

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Not possible under normal conditions (ie would take a hurricane)

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Monkey [img]http://members.roadfly.com/thejrod/discomonkey.gif[/img]

Votes: 7 50.0%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...to knock a Hayabusa off it's kickstand?

Seriously, I know some of you math wizard/engineer types could figure this out... Given a 'Busa weighs like 500 lbs wet, and it's surface area, and the angle at which it sits on the kickstand, how strong of a gust of wind would it take to knock it over?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Goooooo Monkeeeeeeeey!!!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I've seen bikes knocked off their kickstands in ND where it gets fuggin windy. Usually it's bikes that don't lean over very far on their kickstands that are most vulnerable. Of course sport bikes with full fairings are most vulnerable as they catch a lot of wind.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
forthelove said:
depends on which way the winds blowin from.
Well, either side. Let's say, hypothetically, that the orange busa in question was blown away from the kickstand, into a wall, then back onto the opposite side.

·
Registered
888 Posts
hmmmmm, I guess that depends on what color underwear you have on. :redflip

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
theJrod said:
Well, either side. Let's say, hypothitically, that the orange busa in question was blown away from the kickstand, into a wall, then back onto the opposite side.
:eek :eek :eek :eek

·
James "finger tight" Rachner
7,216 Posts
Sounds like your buddy went down... that sucks... :(

As for wind... yeah... i think the variable is HOW the bike is parked more than How fast the wind is moving...

If the bike is parked more upright it'll tip EASY if it's parked on a flat surface and steering locked to the left it'll take a friggin hurricane to knock a busa over!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
And it takes about 10 mph to knock James over, 20 mph sends him flying like a piece of paper! :laughing

Once we had to chase him down the street to catch him, while he was screaming, "SAVE ME! SAVE ME!" tumbling in the wind the whole time. :laughing :crackup

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
JRachnerZTT said:
Sounds like your buddy went down... that sucks... :(
Gee i think James hit the nail on the head, it sounds like the hypothetical boob in question went down practicing his reverse wheelies!!!:laughing :crackup

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kawboy636 said:
Gee i think James hit the nail on the head, it sounds like the hypothetical boob in question went down practicing his reverse wheelies!!!:laughing :crackup
:crackup :crackup :crackup :crackup

I should post a thread on reverse wheelies too! Totally forgot about that one!

Oooh, Brian should post up on how to do a reverse wheelie!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
all you have to do is look at a busa funny and it will fall off the kick stand.

busas suffer from a poorly designed kick stand that allows it to tip over with just a slight nudge. the trick to eliminating this problem is cutting a small 1/4 notch in the forward portion of the kick stand where the kickstand meets the stand stop. doing this allows the kickstand to be positioned more forward when it is extended.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts