Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing my first oil change and I think I may have put in a little too much when refilling. On my bike (I don't know if it is the same with most) there is a little window on the side with a F line on the top and an L on the bottom. For full and low I imagine.. the new level is just slightly out of veiw of the window putting it above the F line. Will this cause problems for the bike, or is a little extra oil ok? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
159 Posts
if its just above the line that should not be a problem.
in my 929 the manual says 3.9 qt but when you get done putting all 3.9qt you are left with just a little bit so i usually just finish it.
it gets me a little bit above the line and the bike runs fine and doesn't shift funny.
if the tranny feels hard to shift then i would drain some of it out.

·
Super Moderator
23,510 Posts
A little above isnt an issue. When you start the bike, the oil will circulate. Then shut it off and let it sit for 5 min then check. Should be just right then.:D

·
TRUST-N-ME
530 Posts
just a tip, make sure your checking the window with the bike the upright and leveled, not while it's leaning on the kick stand.

also like YZFRob said:start the bike, the oil will circulate. Then shut it off and let it sit for 5 min then check. Should be just right then.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the help, after I running the bike and letting it settle down for a few minutes, the oil level is a little lower, coming just above the F line. That's probably perfect.

·
pic whore extraordinaire
257 Posts
You are checking the oil level through the site glass by standing the bike up level right? You can't check the site window with the bike on the kickstand.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Lord Duckhunter said:
You are checking the oil level through the site glass by standing the bike up level right? You can't check the site window with the bike on the kickstand.
Not trying to be a smartass ( ok, I am) but if someone is checking there oil through the window while its not level, they shouldn't be on a bike period!

·
pic whore extraordinaire
257 Posts
Well I didn't originally notice the guy above my post asking the same question I did... so seeing as how the original poster had to ask about "overfilling the crankcase to begin with" I figured it beared mentioning. I also noticed that nobody has mentioned the fact that on some bikes too much oil in the crankcase (sometimes even minute amounts) causes oil to be pushed up into the airbox & can saturate the air filters & even be sucked back into the combustion chamber & intake tracts.

I tell ya dude, you would be amazed how many people don't know any better...

Just like how many riders think they are supposed to run the max pressure listed on their tires (42psi rear & 36psi front) when the rest of us know that those max pressures are only for the maximum load rating of the tire & that lower pressures offer more compliance,better bump absorption & more grip.

Or

The guys that think K&N filters or adding standard high octane race fuel to their otherwise stock motor makes their bike run better when in fact most of the time both of those actions harm the performance.

The sportbike community is filled with myths & ignorance abounds... Never underestimate how uneducated your fellow rider may be on any given tangent of the sport.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
of course I already knew all of that stuff.....
ok maybe not but I did know to stand my bike upright, it seems to be running fine with that oil level.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I agree with Duckhunter. You shouldn't put more oil than the F line for the reasons above. A motorcycle engine isn't like a car engine where a little bit more is ok.

An easy way to get rid of some oil is to loosen the drain plug and let the oil drip out w/o taking the drain plug fully out.

·
Doin' the things a particle can...
37,282 Posts
slow wonder said:
of course I already knew all of that stuff.....
ok maybe not but I did know to stand my bike upright, it seems to be running fine with that oil level.
the SV can take a small amount more.

I have the '03 and did it once. Just check to make sure there is no oil coming up through the airbox.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And how exactly can I perform this airbox check? Forgive me but I am pretty new at all of this as you can probably tell.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts