• Ducati 620 Sport

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ducati SS800

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Honda CBRF4i

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Kawasaki ZZR600 2005

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • keep EX500 and mod: paint, ZG screen, WC rearsets, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suzuki SV650S w/ suspension upgrades

Votes: 14 20.3%
  • Suzuki SV1000S

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • other bike?

Votes: 8 11.6%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

Wanted to ask everyone's opinion on what I should get as my 2nd bike. I currently ride an 03 EX500 w/ Woodcraft clip-ons. I passed the MSF course last year on a Nighthawk 250. I'm considering trading up once I have about 20K miles on the bike, Fall 2005 or Spring/Summer 2006. I'm 33, 5 foot 8 inches tall, male, 153 lbs... I enjoy riding a lot, but don't have any interest in stunt riding.

I ride mostly back-roads, but some freeway also...I-270 and I-495 in the MD/VA area. I usually cruise at about 55-75mph. My typical ride distance varies from 50 to 150 miles. The wife will be riding pillion probably once a week. :clap Price range is between $6000 and $8500. Max preferred dry weight is about 415 lbs. I have about 40K miles experience racing and riding bicycles and MTBs w/ no crashes. :nanana Amazing considering I grew up riding through downtown D.C. :laughing

Super-sports like the R6, GSX-R600, etc seem like more than I'll really need since I won't have the opportunity to do many, if any, trackdays. :( Yes, I know tracktime would be the best upgrade to make.

Good low and mid-range torque, and precise yet stable handling seem more important for the riding I do than outright top-speed. Thanks for any comments, opinions or suggestions. I'm currently leaning toward the Suzuki SV650S, YZF600, and Duc SS800. Naked bikes, sport-bikes and sport-tourers I'm considering are:

-Ducati Monster w/ clip-ons and maybe rearsets: 620, 800, S2R.
-Ducati 620 Sport (if I can find one)
-Ducati Supersport 800
-Honda CBRF4i
-Suzuki SV650S w/ suspension upgrades
-Suzuki SV1000S
-Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat

A good friend who works at a local dealer can sell me any of the above.

Other bikes I'm considering are:
-Kawasaki ZZR600 2005
-Triumph Speed 4
-Triumph Daytona 600 or 650

Thanks again,
Tarrant

·
Moto Junkie
2,450 Posts
Of the bikes you have listed, I would look towards the ones that have a one piece seat since you are planning to bring the wife along that often. She'll like it better. The NEW F4i, the YZF600 and the Duc SS800 I belive fit that bill with the F4i being the sportiest of the three. The Duc probably has the best supspension out of the box, and the air cooled ducs are supposed to have cheaper maintenance. The YZF is a great bike by all accounts...know several people who have them and love them.

You could always get your wife her own bike though and go for something else ;)

·
Registered
347 Posts
Sounds like you kinda wan't a sportbike but wan't it to do other things well. I think I would lean toward the YZF600. This bike has been tried and true. It's got the banana style seat so two up comfort shouldn't be a problem. It's a little more refined than the top SS 600's but still more than capable as this bike used to be a top 600 SS in it's day. The other choice for me would be the SV650. I've only heard good things about them.

Ken Z

·
Moderator,
16,949 Posts
YZF600, '04 Honda F4i or '05 ZZR600 would be my guess.

Of course if it were me, I would pick the SV1000S, solely on the engine... But it isn't that comfortable in comparison to the other bikes from what they say.

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
VTR1000 superhawk

PROs: good comfort, good motor(lots of torque for two up riding), good price.

CONs: fuel mileage, insurance costs.

·
Sometimes I Think Too Much ...
878 Posts
Yamaha FZ6SS. Good commuter. Get your wife through the MSF course & give her the EX500.

·
Beati pacifici
3,067 Posts
Wife pillion--don't even consider an SV. (Trust me here)

Go with the cooshy CBRF4i seat.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I'm for getting the wife on the EX, too. In control is way cooler than ridig pillion. Well, I assume it is, anyway. Someday maybe I'll ride pillion, but I hope not. :)

-Ducati Monster w/ clip-ons and maybe rearsets: 620, 800, S2R.
-Ducati 620 Sport (if I can find one)
-Ducati Supersport 800

Don't even think about the 620. I doubt it'll keep up with the EX. The 800 should be plenty but the 1000 is barely as quick as a 600SS. That's plenty fast, granted, but no reason to get a bike that you might find is holding you back in another year.

-Honda CBRF4i: I like it, but Honda's a bit proud of it. Same retail price as before? Not a chance.
-Suzuki SV650S w/ suspension upgrades: A good bike, but I find them pretty uncopmfortable, even the standard's pegs are too high this year.
-Suzuki SV1000S: Look closely at this one.
-Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat: great bike... but it's a tad heavy. No reason it can't do it all, though.

A good friend who works at a local dealer can sell me any of the above.

Other bikes I'm considering are:
-Kawasaki ZZR600 2005: Wait... $7k? Same as a YZF and $1200 cheaper than an F4i? This is the bargain bike of '05 IMO.
-Triumph Speed 4: Bargain bike of '04, and I like it. This or the ZZR, I'd vote.
-Triumph Daytona 600 or 650: great bike with the booster engine. Should be able to get a good price on it, too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The Ducati Supersports don't have the best seating position for commuting. I used to have a 99 750 SS. The clip ons are fairly low and the reach is somewhat long. You can fix that pretty easy with a set of bar risers though, so if it is the bike you decide you want, keep it in mind if you find the bike uncomfortable.

Of all those bikes listed, I like the S2R

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2nd bike...

Wow, lots of replies already.

Hadn't thought of the Superhawk before. Nice bike. Looks good in Titanium too. Definitely one to consider.... Been a little difficult to find reviews for it.

I like the Duc SS800, CBR F4i, and the YZF600 because they seem so refined, good specifications for the price.

What do people think of the jump from the EX500 with 20K miles or more to the bhp and/or torque of the Superhawk or SV1000S? I've only gotten to test sit the bikes that I'm thinking of, never gotten a chance to ride any of them. Luckily, my friend said he can set up some test rides for me. :nanana

I also like the distant, low reach to the clip-ons on these bikes, especially the SS800, and the SV650S. Years of cycling got me used to that position. The FZ6 sounds like a good bike, but it's too upright a position for me. The picture below is similar to the position that I normally use on a road bike for rides anywhere from 1 to 6 hours in length:

I think that the wife prefers riding pillion. She's not interested enough in getting her own license.

Not sure why I listed the Monsters...maybe something about the customization potential they seem to have...?

Happy Holidays to all,

Tarrant

·
Registered
103 Posts
Was looking at a new ZZR last week while having wheel bearing removed. Liked the new look.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
ZZR1100 ;) :D

·
Hayabusa Madness
2,613 Posts
Consider the MV Augusta 1000...very pretty bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
551 Posts
Come on...augustas are ONLY;) about $23000 for the bottom of the line. The top of the line is about $50grand. I wonder what full coverage insurance for that one costs per month:eek

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Whoa...

:showtime

1 - 20 of 36 Posts