Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't mean to throw out a depressing thread especially with New Year's coming up but I wanted to take a minute to recognize the tragedy over in Thailand. The death toll is over 52,000 people from the tsunami. This is incredibly sad and tragic.
I hope nothing like this happens in our lifetime again to anybody but chances are it will. Everybody be safe but live every day like it is your last...life is fragile so it very well could be.

·
tis' the season.
1,509 Posts
Well said. How tradgic is that. They get hit by a 9.0 earthquake, and to top things up, a giant tsunami:shake. Very very sad. Whats even more sad is this time next year, US will be celebrating a new year while they are mourning 5*,000 deaths. RIP:(

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Yeah, really sad. The death toll is over 63000 now, and the risk of disease from this may double it they said on MSNBC. RIP.

But, for controversy, the world will expect the US to step up and fix everything, and will stand back and bad mouth us for other things.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Just read that the death toll is over 68,000 now... :( Damn, a lot of those deaths could have been prevented with a warning system. It was two hours after the quake that the surge reached Sri Lanka, and another 1-2 hours before it reached India.

Truly frightening.

·
Registered
18,094 Posts
So sad. :(

The death toll will rise well over 100k people unfortunately. By the time they get done accounting for bodies and the disease issues, it will climb much higher. Unfortunately, SE Asia has a concentration in population that this devistation just grows exponentially. :(

RIP

·
squirrelly fucker
4,008 Posts
r6rebel said:
They get hit by a 9.0 earthquake, and to top things up, a giant tsunami:shake.
I thought the same thing at first, but someone told me that the quake was so far beneith the sea that it wasn't felt anywhere on land. I haven't seen anything to confirm/contradict this yet, but I don't think an actual 9.0 earthquake shook anyone on land.

let's all just take a moment to stop and think about just how many people 60,000+ is. :(

·
This little piggy went to market...
2,684 Posts
RIP. :(

Emailed my parents in Cambodia and they felt a slight tremor but nothing of that magnitude. Just enough to cause ripples in their beverages and the dog to go nuts.

·
Registered
577 Posts
The part that is most concerning is the malaria, cholera, dysintery and lord knows what else that will spread throughout the populous and is nearly impossible to stop. What is needed now is the massive amount of antibiotics from the more rich nations of the world... I read this morning that Great Britain only gave $150,000 to help. That is simply pathetic.

-Kate

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Crimson9687 said:
I read this morning that Great Britain only gave $150,000 to help. That is simply pathetic.
But it's not their responsibility to pick up the pieces. I don't blame countries for not helping or giving skimpy contributions. But props to those who do...it sucks what happened, but in a way, that's life. Things happen on this earth that you cannot control (unless it was someone from the middle east planning an attack on the US and tested it out there). It's like other countries butting in on wars...no one MADE us go to Vietnam or anywhere else.

RIP to those who have passed...

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
here are some links that might
be less mass-media like:

pictures: http://www.pbase.com/issels/root
there's a sequence shot of water coming ashore.
they've got during and after shots

and then a collection of LiveJournals
http://www.livejournal.com/users/insomnia/525268.html
first hand stories and such.

RIP to the 80,000 plus who lost their lives.
prayers to the families of everyone/anyone affected. =(

80K, that's the same # of people
at a sold out Mariner's game @ SAFECO.

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
that pic, and the other one of the guy (might be the same guy) floating past the house.

sucks that the person taking the pics couldn't do anything about this...

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
newbie750 said:
I thought the same thing at first, but someone told me that the quake was so far beneith the sea that it wasn't felt anywhere on land. I haven't seen anything to confirm/contradict this yet, but I don't think an actual 9.0 earthquake shook anyone on land.

let's all just take a moment to stop and think about just how many people 60,000+ is. :(
If I recall correctly, the earthquake occured under the sea and caused the tsunami.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
horrible tragedy may they all RIP......me and all of my coworkers are putting together a pot for donations....may nto be much compared to what they need but its something.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.