Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner

Overrated Austin Area Roads

2K views 35 replies 30 participants last post by  lil_biker 
#1 ·
A fellow Rexer is coming in from Shreveport this weekend and wants to me show him some of these Austin area roads he's heard so much about. This got me to thinking about which roads around here are REALLY worth showing off and which roads are overrated.

From a pure riding perspective (scenic attributes not considered) I would have to say that the Devil's Backbone (Hwy 32) is probably the most overrated road in the area. The "good" part is terribly short and to REALLY get some enjoyment out of it you have to be travelling at completely insane speeds for the street.

Park Road 4 is probably next on my overrated list. Nice scenic road with some great turns, but I've never felt comfortable at all riding that road at the speeds that would really make it shine - primarily due to fear of LEOs for some unknown reason. And like the Devil's Backbone, there's just not enough "good stuff" for the length of the trip out there.

What Austin area roads fall on your "overrated" list?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
AustinVFR said:
2222- 4 lane, undivided, residential. Nice road but too much traffic with oncoming traffic always taking turns too wide for my comfort zone. High LEO presence.
2222 has been off my rating list for years.

Now back in the mid/late 80's it was Number 1 on my list when it was a two lane all the way out to 620. It absolutely rocked back then! :thumb

Discussion starter · #25 ·
Austin Coder said:
I've seen the black dog on LCR many times. He/she loves to run out at sportbikes and scare the hell outta riders.
That damn dog scared the CRAP out of me yesterday! I haven't seen him in almost a year and had for the most part forgotten about him. He got me good though yesterday. Sheesh. :shake

Discussion starter · #26 ·
Gixxer Vixxen said:
imho lime creek is the most overrated. so many deaths, injuries, and just general catastrophies have happened on that road. it's ok to ride i guess, but i'm always so damn paranoid i end up slow as shit and nervous as hell. just not worth it.

LCR overrated? No way. Infamous? Absolutely.

As for deaths, I've not heard of anyone biting the big bullet on LCR. The biggest bike killer around Austin has to be the twisty section of 1431. That section of road eats unsuspecting Harley riders like snack food.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
bluedogok said:
I can see where 2222 would have been a fun road many years ago before it had as much traffic as it does now.
2222 used to be a very windy two lane from MoPac all the way out to 620. Now the only thing left of the original is the part around the lake just before 360.

Even 620 was a windy two lane and actually ran across the top of the dam.

And Quinlan Park Road (now a boulevard through Steiner Ranch) was a friggin' rollarcoaster!

Ahh the good old days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.