Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mama's Little Joey
14,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone rack up crazy amounts of tickets and never pay them? Got an email from my brother and I couldn't stop laughing. His girlfriend called him last night saying her car had a Boot on it. He rushed to her school because she was frantic and wanted to comfort/help her.

When asked how many tickets she had, she said "four or five, I think". When they got to the campus security office, he found out she had gotten 120 or so parking tickets at $25 each and had never paid them. She owed $3300 in fines:eek :eek They made her a deal to pay $1600 then or $3300 in a payment plan. My brother loaned her the money and she wrote him a check from her emergency account. She's a Phd. student at George Washington University with a 4.0 grade average finishing her doctorate. :laughing Guess she's not as smart as we all thought :laughing :laughing

I've gotten one parking ticket in my life and paid it immediately. Anyone ever gotten the Boot or worry about getting it??

·
Registered
17,152 Posts
Years ago, a friend of mine in California was carted off by a Sherrif's Deputy for dozens of unpaid parking tickets. Apparently they had amassed to the point where there was a warrant out for her, and they came knocking on her door to get her. She spent the night in jail, and had something like $1000 in fines.

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
When I went to St johns I racked up over a grand because I never got a parking permit but since I never did they didnt know who I was, and since I was asked not to come back ( crummy grades from not going to class) there was no way they were getting money from me. I am currently in the middle of trying to fight one I got at work. There is Doctor parking by our ambulance bays from 7am to 7pm, so when I work the overnights I park there since I leave at 7 but one day I was hanging around and left at almost 8pm and got a ticket for 95 dollars so I am writing them a letter saying that I am a PA who works in the ER and was treating a critically ill patient and couldnt just up and leave to move my car;)

Tom

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Nope, no parking tickets here.

However, I have been booted. We parked in a lot (going to a concert) and there was a guy standing next to the big box where you put your $ in giving out "tickets" to put in your car. So we paid him the money, put the ticket in our car and went on with our business. Come back from the concert and there's a boot b/c we failed to put money in the big box. We ended up paying $50 to have it removed. We were going to fight it but decided it wasn't worth the hassle. What pisses me off is that ALL AROUND Atlanta they have guys that stand there and take your money and give you a ticket for your car. How are we supposed to know who's legit (ie the parking lot owner has given permission for them to set up shop in the lot and give tickets for money) or the people that scammed us who had LEGIT LOOKING tickets and was just a scammer? It sucked.

·
Moderator,
8,601 Posts
Never had it happen to me, but I have done it to plenty of others. :D Boot them for unpaid taxes and tickets. If it does not get paid off within a few months, I sell the car and use the proceeds to pay the debt.

·
Registered
4,891 Posts
I've gotten a few. I used to park on the street when I lived in the downtown area of Savannah.

Parking was tight..especially the very few un-metered spots near my house. So on nights when the street cleaner would come through, I would park in the No Parking zone after they finished sweeping but before the time ran out (which was about 4 am) and before the next morning when the spots filled up by 7 or so. It was one of those "No Parking Between the Hours of X and X".

The truck that followed the cleaner to ticket cars left you alone as long as the cleaner had already made his two passes. Stay out of his way, and you were good.

But, some turdy little cop came through and slapped a ticket on my car three or four times over the course of a year or so. It was an officer's citation rather than the utilities citation.

Pissed me off. The utility department had their own guys give tickets, and the cleaner had JUST passed through ten minutes prior on one occasion, so you could see the wet marks on the street and even hear the cleaner a few blocks away when I came out to smoke a ciggie and saw the ticket.

Power-hungry little dickhead.

That being said, I paid up and never came close to getting a boot.

·
4000 Post Club
4,311 Posts
I don't remember ever getting a ticket myself, but I work with Habitat for Humanity. One of our recent applicants put down a debt to the state of New Jersey of just over $ 9,000 in tickets. She lives in Alabama.

·
Grand Master Fu
1,934 Posts
I probably owe NYC many hundreds of dollars. :nanana

F*cking alternate street side parking :mad MoFos would get up HOURS before the ticket time and go move their cars to the ONLY open spots. Owning a car in NYC is MADNESS. :smash

I imagine it would only catch up with me should I move back there, which will _never_ happen.

Since I moved back to AZ, I've only had 1 parking ticket and I got it tossed out in court. :D

I got my bike booted once in HS. Damn lot watcher was bored that day I think. :p

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
quackPOT said:

F*cking alternate street side parking :mad MoFos would get up HOURS before the ticket time and go move their cars to the ONLY open spots. Owning a car in NYC is MADNESS. :smash

I imagine it would only catch up with me should I move back there, which will _never_ happen.

Since I moved back to AZ, I've only had 1 parking ticket and I got it tossed out in court. :D

I got my bike booted once in HS. Damn lot watcher was bored that day I think. :p
Just dont try to register in NYC and you will be fine, If you live outsideof NYC they cant come get you but they may make it difficult to register your vehicle.

The top NYC scofflaws owe over 100k

Tom

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
quackPOT said:

F*cking alternate street side parking :mad :p
Rule of thumb, if you pay one of those tickets it activates your address and all the background to go with the other tickets....

I have never paid one of those tickets in 6 years of living in NYC. I even have tickets where they half filled out the ticket and just left it ...perhaps in a hurry.

LOL.

Once you pay one ...you're owned.

Desmo

·
Registered
21,040 Posts
LOL - I had a bunch of parking tickets when I worked at Verizon in Lakeland (FL) -- I would always be late to work and instead of parking in the parking lot, which was a longer walk, I'd park on the side of the road RIGHT by the entrance. :laughing I'd ALWAYS forget to move my car within the 2 hour time slot. $10/ a pop. But I always paid those bitches. And I'd kick myself too! Every.single.time!

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
iDesmo said:
Rule of thumb, if you pay one of those tickets it activates your address and all the background to go with the other tickets....

I have never paid one of those tickets in 6 years of living in NYC. I even have tickets where they half filled out the ticket and just left it ...perhaps in a hurry.

LOL.

Once you pay one ...you're owned.

Desmo
A guy I used to work with drove a cab as a side job and racked up a few hundred in tickets, they actualy came and towed his car from in front of his house, but he lived in queens. If you live outside of the city you are safe. I never heard about that activation thing, but I know a lotof tix used to get tossed for being filled out improperly, now they are all computerized so they cant mess it up:rolleyes

Mine looks like some sort of sales receipt.

Tom

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
tommymac said:
Mine looks like some sort of sales receipt.

Tom
Haven't gotton any of those yet. I have seen them in LA ...the dudes ride bicycles and bar code your window or vin and print out a ticket and place it in an envelop.

All my are lower Manhattan, around 11th - 13th street off 5th avenue and University. Damn... car towed away? If that'll happen it should have already happened. It's where I live and also get ticketed.

I'll take a pic of one of the 1/2 filled out tickets ...it's as if she [on the sig] was in a hurry and left most of it including the fine check mark out.

Desmo:clap

·
Registered
27,266 Posts
iDesmo said:
Haven't gotton any of those yet. I have seen them in LA ...the dudes ride bicycles and bar code your window or vin and print out a ticket and place it in an envelop.

All my are lower Manhattan, around 11th - 13th street off 5th avenue and University. Damn... car towed away? If that'll happen it should have already happened. It's where I live and also get ticketed.

I'll take a pic of one of the 1/2 filled out tickets ...it's as if she [on the sig] was in a hurry and left most of it including the fine check mark out.

Desmo:clap
the guys in NYC have those little scanner/computer gadgets as well, I think some of them may be cutting a person a break if they fill them out wrong since thats an instant dismissal.

Tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts