Cycle Forums: Motorcycle and Sportbikes Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
7,107 Posts
Is your bike making a rattle kind of a sound when you are letting off the throttle( like a toy winding down that is slipping a cog?) I had to have my cam chain tension adjuster replaced part $90.00 labor like $30.00

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i think thats it my guy wants to charge me like 300 for the repair so i must be getting ripped off. Is this something that I can do my self?

·
I used to be drunk and Tan damn NY
7,107 Posts
Do you have the manual for your bike? I would get it and call around to local part shops to see how much they want the part. Then post in the Cali forum those guys are always willing to help, you mught be able to find a reputable shop or someone willing to show you how for beers ;)

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
espresso said:
It would help if we knew what kind of bike it was.

Bikes with belt-driven cams often have an adjustable idler pulley that sets belt tension.
which bikes use belt driven cams?(I think Ducati does, but I can't think of any others:confused)

What kind of bike is it?
what is wrong with it?

·
It's not Rocket appliances.
19,663 Posts
espresso said:
I believe some Guzzis use them as well.

Turns out it was a CBR (in another thread), and he seems to be indicating that it was indeed the cam chain tensioner, although if his mechanic REALLY called it that, I wouldn't let him put air in my tires...
agreed(that is a first:laughing), plus $300 to fix that? yikes, I would hate to see his rebuilding prices.:eek:

·
Registered
361 Posts
Karl is correct, cam tensioner. not a $300 job. get a second opinion and don't tell them what the last guy told you, let them tell you what is wrong.good luck.:ar15

1 - 13 of 13 Posts